Australian prime minister announces national bravery honors after antisemitic terror attack

In a heartfelt move, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has unveiled plans for a national bravery award to honor the courageous acts of civilians and first responders during a tragic mass shooting earlier this month. The attack, which claimed 15 lives at a Hanukkah celebration, has been identified as the deadliest massacre in Australia since 1996.

This shocking event, described by officials as an ISIS-inspired assault, specifically targeted Australia’s Jewish community amidst the holiday festivities. As the nation processes the horror of the incident, the Prime Minister took a moment to highlight the stark juxtaposition of extremist violence against acts of profound heroism.

Reflecting on the incident, Albanese remarked, “This Christmas is unlike any other due to the anti-terror and terrorist acts driven by ISIS and antisemitism. Yet, in witnessing such brutality, we also saw remarkable bravery, kindness, and compassion from those who ran towards the danger.”

During a press conference, Albanese detailed his government’s intention to establish a special honors system. This initiative aims to acknowledge the heroism of individuals who confronted “the worst of evil” during the December 14 attack. Among those to be recognized is Ahmed al Ahmed, a Syrian-born Australian Muslim store owner. His courageous act of tackling and disarming one of the gunmen, despite being wounded himself, was captured on video and has been widely praised.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese meets Ahmed al Ahmed

Albanese’s announcement coincides with his visit to Ahmed al Ahmed at Sydney’s St George Hospital on December 16, offering a poignant reminder of the bravery and resilience that emerged in the face of terror.

Albanese said his government plans to create a special honors system recognizing the heroism of those who confronted what he called “the worst of evil” during the Dec. 14 attack, including Ahmed al Ahmed, a Syria-born Australian Muslim store owner captured on video tackling and disarming one of the gunmen before being wounded.

The award would recognize those nominated for bravery or meritorious awards under the existing Australian Honors and Awards system for their actions during and after the attack, according to The Associated Press.

Two different bystanders, identified as Boris and Sofia Gurman, were seen on video confronting a gunman before the shooting began at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia.

Despite their efforts to disarm him, the gunman later overpowered and killed them, according to authorities.

Australian authorities say a father and son accused of carrying out the attack — 50-year-old Sajid Akram and his 24-year-old son, Naveed Akram — filmed a video manifesto containing antisemitic language and expressions of support for the Islamic State.

The pair may have been planning the attack for several months, investigators said.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at vigil after Hanukkah terror attack

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and wife Jodie Haydon attend a memorial held for the victims of a shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney Dec. 21, 2025. (Saeed Khan/AFP via Getty Images)

Only the son survived the attack and now faces murder and terrorism charges.

You May Also Like

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills? - Internewscast Journal

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills?

A night out at one of Beverly Hills’ upscale steakhouses reportedly spiraled…
Italy-Spain Border Feud Exposes Europe’s Immigration Crisis - Internewscast Journal

Italy-Spain Border Feud Exposes Europe’s Immigration Crisis

Tensions are deepening between Italy’s right-leaning government and Spain’s left-wing leadership as…
Judge Deals Blow to FBI Headquarters Move to Reagan Building - Internewscast Journal

Judge Deals Blow to FBI Headquarters Move to Reagan Building

A federal judge in Maryland has halted the Trump administration’s effort to…
California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations - Internewscast Journal

California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations

The opulent life of one of California’s best-paid nonprofit executives is drawing…
Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video - Internewscast Journal

Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video

A dramatic weather post on social media has quickly ignited widespread reaction…
American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare - Internewscast Journal

American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare

Two commercial flights suffered tire blowouts at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favoring minority students

DOJ Probes Elite College Over Alleged Bias Favoring Minorities

The Justice Department on Monday opened an investigation into the College of…
California Homeowners Could Face Stricter Maintenance Rules Under Proposed New Law - Internewscast Journal

California Homeowners Could Face Stricter Maintenance Rules Under Proposed New Law

California homeowners living in areas with elevated wildfire danger could soon be…
Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US - Internewscast Journal

Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US

U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner issued a blunt warning to Hamas on…
36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start - Internewscast Journal

36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start

Dozens of Border Collies found coated in feces inside what officials described…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas,…