Boeing Reels as Air Force One Costs Soar to $3 Billion - Internewscast Journal
Boeing Reels as Air Force One Costs Soar to $3 Billion

Boeing disclosed Tuesday on its earnings call that it has absorbed another substantial financial setback tied to its effort to build and deliver two new Air Force One presidential aircraft.

The aerospace giant said it recorded an additional $280 million loss on the long-delayed program, pushing total cost overruns on the project past $3 billion.

“While the charge is disappointing, we recognize how critical schedule performance is to our customer and we are investing accordingly to maintain our commitment to deliver the airplane in 2028,” Boeing CEO Kelly Ortberg said during the call.

The first of the two new planes is not expected to be ready until mid-2028. U.S. Air Force

Ortberg said the latest charge stems from Boeing’s move to “add significant resources to support the build and test schedule” for the two military versions of the Boeing 747. He said the added investment is intended to “help mitigate potential risk during certification and flight test.”

The financial burden falls on Boeing under the $3.9 billion contract President Trump signed with the company in 2018, which makes the defense contractor responsible for any cost overruns associated with the Air Force One replacement program.

Before the latest charge, Boeing’s reported cost overruns on the program had reached $2.8 billion in 2024, Aviation Week reported.

Boeing had originally pledged to deliver the first of the two new presidential jets by December 2024. But the program is now “almost 3 years behind its current baseline schedule,” the Government Accountability Office said in a report released earlier this month.

The company’s current timeline calls for the first aircraft to be delivered in “mid-2028,” followed by the second in “mid-2029.”

At the moment, the US has two old Boeing 747-200 jumbo jets for Air Force One — the designation for any airplane that the president is on — which have been in operation since the 1990s.

The illuminated Boeing logo and name against a twilight sky.

Boeing announced that it took another $280 million hit on the Air Force One project on Tuesday. AFP via Getty Images

Trump has also used a luxurious, $400 million jet donated by Qatar – dubbed the “palace in the sky” – as the presidential plane, but it was taken out of service earlier this month to boost its anti-missile defenses.

Air Force One jets have to be equipped with state-of-the-art communications and defensive systems to protect the commander-in-chief, which makes their development expensive and complicated.

Trump has long complained about Boeing’s cost overruns and delays for the new Air Force Ones. 

The White House did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Lindsay Clancy Needs 24/7 Suicide Watch, Psychologist Says - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Needs 24/7 Suicide Watch, Psychologist Says

Lindsay Clancy experiences “bad days and worse days” inside the hospital where…
Penn State Fraternity Cocaine Ring Busted After Obvious Mistake - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Fraternity Cocaine Ring Busted After Obvious Mistake

A Penn State fraternity member accused of operating a cocaine distribution scheme…
1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open - Internewscast Journal

1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open

About 1,500 mink broke loose from an Oregon farm after someone cut…
Video Shows Pasadena Mailman Accused of Attacking Beloved Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Video Shows Pasadena Mailman Accused of Attacking Beloved Peacock

A well-known white peacock in a Pasadena neighborhood was allegedly pursued and…
Mom Accused of Trading Daughters’ Sex Abuse for Drugs, Cash - Internewscast Journal

Mom Accused of Trading Daughters’ Sex Abuse for Drugs, Cash

A South Carolina mother is accused of allowing men to sexually abuse…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Tupac Murder Trial Faces Witness Fear as Ghostwriter May Hold Key - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Murder Trial Faces Witness Fear as Ghostwriter May Hold Key

The long-awaited murder trial tied to Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing may hinge…
California Bans Feeding Stray Cats to Save Endangered Rabbits - Internewscast Journal

California Bans Feeding Stray Cats to Save Endangered Rabbits

A Central Valley community is moving to stop people from feeding stray…
SoCal Man Lost at Sea After Jet Ski Mishap Shares Survival - Internewscast Journal

SoCal Man Lost at Sea After Jet Ski Mishap Shares Survival

A man who was thrown from his jet ski and spent 12…
3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say - Internewscast Journal

3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say

CHICAGO () — Three people were wounded Wednesday afternoon when gunfire erupted…
Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board

An Ohio death row prisoner who has spent more than 30 years…
Hurricanes Goalie Brandon Bussi Brings the Cup Home to Long Island - Internewscast Journal

Hurricanes Goalie Brandon Bussi Brings the Cup Home to Long Island

Talk about bringing everyone onto the same ice. Hurricanes goaltender Brandon Bussi…