Ceuta Border Crisis: 18 Dead as Thousands Cross From Morocco - Internewscast Journal
Ceuta Border Crisis: 18 Dead as Thousands Cross From Morocco

CEUTA, Spain — At least 18 migrants have died while attempting to enter Ceuta, the Spanish enclave in North Africa, after thousands of people broke through the frontier from Morocco.

The situation escalated sharply Thursday and continued overnight. Spain’s public broadcaster RTVE aired footage showing burned vehicles on the Moroccan side of the border following reported clashes.

Rachid Sbihi, head of a local workers association that represents Civil Guard officers, described the scene as a “serious humanitarian crisis.” He said thousands of migrants, including unaccompanied minors, were sleeping in parks and on sidewalks, while others wandered through the streets with nowhere to go.

“People are still entering. The reinforcements that have arrived are only helping the injured and other humanitarian efforts,” he said. “It’s chaotic.”

Sbihi said many of the 18 victims drowned, while others were killed in a stampede as people tried to cross the breakwater fence at Tarajal beach, an urban shoreline close to a border checkpoint with Morocco.

Ahmed Karim, a 33-year-old Moroccan, said he entered Ceuta because he could not find work in his home country.

“Many people want to go to Europe, America, but they don’t have the opportunity,” Karim said.

By Friday morning, buoys dotted the water near the border fence, while large groups made up mostly of young men gathered close to the crossing.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez is expected to join Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska in a visit to Ceuta on Friday morning.

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said France would strengthen border checks with Spain, writing on X that he had activated the Rapid Intervention Border Force.

Video footage on Thursday showed throngs of people, mainly Moroccans, walking around the breakwaters onto local roads. While most appeared to be young men, there were also families with women and small children. Some migrants were also attempting to return to Morocco, according to a freelance photographer working for The Associated Press.

Moroccan authorities have not publicly commented on the crossings, and Morocco’s Interior Ministry did not respond to requests for comment.

It was not immediately clear what prompted so many people to cross to Ceuta.

Spain is a main point of arrival into Europe for migrants seeking better economic opportunities or an escape from violence in their home countries.

To reach Ceuta, located on the northern African coast, migrants often swim from the Moroccan town of Fnideq, covering about 3 miles (5 kilometers) to reach Spanish territory. Others attempt the crossing from the nearby town of Belyounech, where the distance is shorter.

Migrants from Morocco also attempted to cross into Melilla, Spain’s other territory at the tip of North Africa.

There was widespread chaos in Bni Nsar, the Moroccan town bordering the Spanish territory, where migrants clashed with police, throwing rocks and setting police vehicles ablaze, according to local media and rights groups. They reported injuries among security forces and the arrest of dozens of people attempting to cross.

Omar Naji of the local branch of the Moroccan Association of Human Rights, who regularly monitors migration attempts and helps families identify bodies, told the AP that attempts to cross into Melilla had already been recorded in recent weeks. However, the latest surge appeared to have been driven by the situation in Ceuta.

Like Ceuta, Melilla is a Spanish autonomous city on the North African coast. Many Moroccans consider both cities to be occupied territory.

Migrants often try to enter Melilla by scaling the 19-foot (6-meter) fence separating the enclave from Morocco. In 2022, thousands of sub-Saharan migrants attempted to cross the border that way, and dozens died in one of the deadliest such incidents on the route.

The escalation at the frontier between Spain and Morocco comes after a surge in migrants attempting to reach the small exclave, mainly by swimming, on Wednesday.

Ceuta authorities had previously linked the surge to a Spanish Supreme Court ruling earlier this month that barred authorities from immediately returning migrants who arrive by sea without due process. The ruling does not apply to migrants who enter Spain by land, including by climbing over the border fence.

But some activists in Morocco expressed doubt that the ruling was behind the surge, arguing most migrants would have been unaware of such legal decisions.

Juan Jesús Vivas, the head of Ceuta’s regional government, had called for the national government to declare an emergency on grounds of national security, asking for more police and for the army to be deployed on the border “to guarantee the inviolability of the frontier and citizen safety.”

He had warned that migrant reception centers were already overwhelmed on Wednesday, with hundreds of people sleeping on the streets. Thousands or even tens of thousands are believed to have arrived since then.

Spain’s Interior Ministry, which tracks irregular migration, would not confirm the number of migrants who had made it to Ceuta in the past few days but said it would publish its next migration report on Monday.

Legislation covering a declaration of national emergencies does not consider migration flows as a risk to national security, according to the ministry, which said government agencies are “coordinating to respond with speed and efficacy to the situation in Ceuta.”

Ceuta, which is perched on a historical isthmus, has been a Spanish possession since 1580. Its mixed population of Christians and Muslims, Spanish and Moroccan residents and day workers, lives in relative harmony behind a border fence that many desperate migrants from across Africa attempt to cross for a better life in Europe.

——

Naishadham reported from Madrid. AP journalists Renata Brito in Barcelona, Spain, and Akram Oubachir in Casablanca, Morocco, contributed.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down - Internewscast Journal

Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down

Oregon theme park riders stuck upside down Emergency responders in Oregon rescued…
Alex Murdaugh defense team lied about polygraph results, prosecutors allege in new filing

Prosecutors Say Murdaugh Team Lied About Polygraph Results

A newly submitted court document suggests attorneys for Alex Murdaugh, the former…
Israeli defense minister puts NATO power on notice as Middle East tensions surge: ‘Dangerous adventures’

Israel Defense Chief Warns Turkey as Middle East Tensions Surge

Trump’s Turkey stance sparks concern amid NATO summit, Netanyahu warning As leaders…
Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat - Internewscast Journal

Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat

Powerful thunderstorms are forecast to push into the East Coast just as…
Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools - Internewscast Journal

Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools

A Louisiana substitute teacher has been arrested after investigators said she sent…
California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft - Internewscast Journal

California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft

A California father’s quiet soak in a jacuzzi turned violent when two…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Newborn Son’s Trash Bag Death - Internewscast Journal

Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Newborn Son’s Trash Bag Death

Former University of Kentucky cheerleader Laken Snelling pleaded guilty Friday morning to…
‘Darth Vader’ uses dark side to mock controversial surveillance cameras: 'The Emperor is a fan of Flock'

Darth Vader Mocks Flock License Plate Cameras in Protest

A man costumed as “Star Wars” villain Darth Vader made an unusual…
Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal - Internewscast Journal

Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal

Liberia on Thursday took in its first deportation flight from the United…
Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash

CHICAGO () — A 49-year-old motorcyclist was killed Wednesday night in a…
Why America’s $40 Trillion Debt Won’t Trigger Fiscal Doom - Internewscast Journal

Why America’s $40 Trillion Debt Won’t Trigger Fiscal Doom

If the nation’s debt has you bracing for a fiscal doomsday, you…