Judge dismisses charges against 2 people accused of ramming vehicle of federal agents conducting Chicago immigration sweeps

On Thursday, a federal judge decided to drop charges against two individuals accused of “ambushing” federal agents during an immigration operation in Chicago last month. This group included a woman who was shot five times during the episode.

U.S. District Judge Georgia Alexakis dismissed the charges concerning Marimar Martinez and Anthony Ruiz following an unexpected request from the Department of Justice to do so.

The dismissal by Judge Alexakis was made with prejudice, ensuring that the case cannot be reopened in the future.

Earlier on Thursday, the government submitted a motion requesting the judge to “dismiss the indictment” against Martinez and Ruiz. The two were involved in a confrontation with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents in Chicago on October 4th.

Charges Dropped for Pair Allegedly Involved in Vehicle Collision with Federal Agents During Chicago Immigration Operations
Law enforcement officers during a standoff with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and federal officers in the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago, Oct. 4, 2025.Jim Vondruska/Reuters

This incident sparked a series of street protests on Chicago’s Southwest Side.

Christopher Parente, Martinez’s attorney, expressed to ABC News on Thursday that both he and his client are relieved by the government’s decision to drop the charges.

“We appreciate the U.S. attorney being thoughtful in agreeing to dismiss this,” Parente said.

Martinez thanked the judge and “everybody that supported me.”

“I’m just grateful for everything,” Martinez told reporters after the hearing. “I’m just happy. I’m excited.”

Parente told reporters that Martinez didn’t deserve to be shot and that they are “going to work on getting her justice,” but for now are thankful that the prosecutors “did the right thing.”

Martinez, 30, and Ruiz, 21, were accused by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) of being part of a convoy of protesters in vehicles that converged on CPB agents and rammed their vehicle during what the DHS called an “ambush.”

An October DHS statement said CBP agents opened fire on Martinez in self-defense, alleging she was “armed with a semi-automatic weapon” and was driving one of three vehicles that “cornered” and rammed the CBP agents’ vehicle.

Charges Dropped for Pair Allegedly Involved in Vehicle Collision with Federal Agents During Chicago Immigration Operations
A woman walks next to what appears to be smoke as U.S. federal agents (not pictured) detain people in the Old Irving Park neighborhood of Chicago, October 25, 2025.James Hotchkiss/Reuters

Martinez was later found to have a handgun in her purse, for which she had a license and a concealed carry permit, according to Parente. Martinez was never charged with any weapons offense in connection with the vehicular incident.

Martinez and Ruiz were both charged with assault with a deadly weapon in the alleged ramming attack.

DHS officials initially described Martinez, Ruiz and the other protesters involved in the incident as “domestic terrorists.”

During Thursday’s hearing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald DeWald consented to dismissing the case with prejudice.

“We are not seeking any technical advantage here,” DeWald said. “We do not intend to refile these charges.”

The decision by the DOJ to dismiss the charges against Martinez and Ruiz came a day after a federal judge in Chicago ordered the government to turn over to the defense additional text messages by the CBP agents involved in the incident.

During a Nov. 5 court hearing, CBP Agent Charles Exum, identified as the agent who shot Martinez, was questioned by Parente about text messages he sent to friends and family after the incident in which he appeared to boast about his shooting skills.

“I fired 5 rounds and she had 7 holes. Put that in your book, boys,” one of those messages said.

When pressed by Parente about the text messages during his testimony, Exum said, “I am a firearms instructor and I take pride in my shooting skills.”

Parente then asked, “So you’re bragging that you shot her five times and gets seven holes, five shots? Are you literally bragging about this?”

Exum responded, “I’m just saying five shots, seven holes.”

Federal prosecutors initially claimed that Exum fired rounds at Martinez in self-defense, saying that Martinez drove toward him when he exited his vehicle after the collision.

During an Oct. 6 hearing, Parente claimed in court that he viewed a body-camera video from one of the agents involved in the incident that he said appeared to show the federal vehicle swerve into Martinez’s car.

“When I watched the video after this agent says, ‘Do something, b—-,’ I see the driver of this vehicle turn the wheel to the left. Which would be consistent with him running into Ms. Martinez’s vehicle, okay,” Parente said. “And then seconds later, he jumps out and just starts shooting.”

Parente also said Martinez is licensed to carry a concealed weapon and that the gun federal officials claimed she had during the confrontation with CBP agents was never removed from her purse.

In response to an ABC News request for comment about the motion to dismiss and Exum’s text messages, DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin reiterated the agency’s previous statements, again calling Martinez and Ruiz “domestic terrorists.” McLaughlin did not address Exum’s text messages and referred ABC News to the Justice Department for information about the charges against Martinez and Ruiz.

You May Also Like

Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid - Internewscast Journal

Alex Murdaugh Seeks New Venue in Double-Murder Retrial Bid

Alex Murdaugh’s upcoming retrial may be moved to Richland County, South Carolina,…
Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group - Internewscast Journal

Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group

Abdul El-Sayed, a progressive candidate in Michigan’s U.S. Senate race, is facing…
WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience - Internewscast Journal

WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience

A man accused of racist conduct and with no background in fund…
NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash - Internewscast Journal

NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash

A NASA spacecraft orbiting the moon has captured the clearest images so…
Beloved mom of 3 killed when massive tree crashes onto SUV in freak highway accident

Mom of 3 Killed as Massive Tree Crushes SUV on Highway

A tragic highway accident in Ohio claimed the life of a mother…
Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship - Internewscast Journal

Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship

Washington — A federal appeals court on Tuesday kept in place a…
NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release - Internewscast Journal

NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release

A New York man with nearly 150 arrests on his record is…
Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed

Tupac Shakur declined to identify the gunmen who ambushed him, even as…
Trump Admin Moves to End Roadless Rule for National Forests - Internewscast Journal

Trump Admin Moves to End Roadless Rule for National Forests

The Trump administration said Tuesday it is pressing forward with a plan…
Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Masked Man Filmed Himself Chasing Residents as Screaming Victims Begged for Help, Police Say

Philadelphia police are searching for a masked suspect accused of terrorizing pedestrians…
California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover - Internewscast Journal

California Family Business Ransacked by 40 Looters During Massive Street Takeover

A large street takeover in California turned chaotic over the weekend when…
Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access - Internewscast Journal

Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access

A man accused in a Virginia killing who left the United States…