National Guard Chicago news: Pentagon authorizes federal troops, Illinois official say; similar plan in Portland, Oregon blocked
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO — President Donald Trump has approved sending 300 Illinois National Guard members to safeguard federal officers and property in Chicago on Saturday, representing an escalation in his federal intervention actions in cities.

However, on the same day, a plan to mobilize 200 National Guard members in Oregon was blocked temporarily after a federal judge determined Trump might be exceeding his legal powers over relatively minor protests outside a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Portland.

An Illinois official confirmed to ABC News on Sunday that the Pentagon had officially directed the Illinois National Guard to prepare for a mission in Chicago.

“The Governor received no communication from federal authorities,” read a statement from Illinois Governor JB Pritzker. “The Illinois National Guard has informed the Department of War that military intervention is unnecessary in Illinois, and therefore, the Governor opposes the National Guard’s deployment under any circumstances.”

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Trump expressed his displeasure on Sunday morning regarding the ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Karin Immergut, whom he appointed during his first term, that currently blocks him from sending troops to Portland.

“I was not well-served by the individuals who selected judges,” Trump commented, criticizing the judge by saying she “should feel ashamed” as “Portland is descending into chaos.”

White House spokesperson Abigail Jackson confirmed that the president authorized using the Illinois National Guard members, citing what she called “ongoing violent riots and lawlessness” that local leaders have not quelled.

Trump has characterized both Portland and Chicago as cities rife with crime and unrest, calling the former a “war zone” and suggesting apocalyptic force was needed to quell problems in the latter. Since the start of his second term, he has sent or talked about sending troops to 10 cities, including Baltimore, Maryland; Memphis, Tennessee; the District of Columbia; New Orleans, Louisiana; and the California cities of Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But the governors of Illinois and Oregon see the deployments differently.

“This morning, the Trump Administration’s Department of War gave me an ultimatum: call up your troops, or we will,” Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker said in a statement. “It is absolutely outrageous and un-American to demand a Governor send military troops within our own borders and against our will.”

Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek talked to Trump in late September and said the deployment was unnecessary. She refused to call up any Oregon National Guard troops, so Trump did so himself in an order to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth. That prompted the lawsuit from city and state officials.

Attorney General Pam Bondi has issued a memo that also directs component agencies within the Justice Department, including the FBI, to help protect U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities, including in Chicago and Portland.

Here’s a snapshot of where things stand with federal law enforcement activity in Chicago, Portland, and elsewhere:

In Chicago, alarms raised about racial profiling

The sight of armed, camouflaged and masked Border Patrol agents making arrests near famous downtown landmarks has amplified such concerns. Many Chicagoans were already uneasy after an immigration crackdown began earlier this month. Agents have targeted immigrant-heavy and largely Latino areas.

Protesters have frequently rallied near an immigration facility outside the city, and federal officials reported the arrests of 13 protesters Friday near the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement processing facility in Broadview.

The Department of Homeland Security acknowledged that federal agents shot a woman Saturday morning on the Southwest Side of Chicago. A statement from the department said it happened after Border Patrol agents patrolling the area “were rammed by vehicles and boxed in by 10 cars.”

“The officers exited their trapped vehicle, when a suspect tried to run them over, forcing the officers to fire defensively,” the statement said.

No law enforcement officers were seriously injured, DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin said.

The woman who was shot was a U.S. citizen and was armed with a semiautomatic weapon, according to McLaughlin. She said the woman drove herself to a hospital for treatment, but a Chicago Fire Department spokesperson told the Chicago Sun-Times that she was found near the scene and taken to a hospital in fair condition.

Immigrants’ rights advocates and residents separately reported that federal agents used tear gas near grocery or hardware stores targeted for enforcement elsewhere in Chicago on Friday and detained a city council member as she questioned the attempted arrest of a man.

Deployment in Portland blocked by judge

Judge Immergut issued the ruling temporarily blocking the deployment on Saturday afternoon, saying the relatively small protests the city has seen did not justify the use of federalized forces and allowing the deployment could harm Oregon’s state sovereignty.

“This country has a longstanding and foundational tradition of resistance to government overreach, especially in the form of military intrusion into civil affairs,” Immergut wrote. She later said: “This historical tradition boils down to a simple proposition: this is a nation of constitutional law, not martial law.”

Trump has called Portland “war-ravaged” and suggested the city is “burning down.” But local officials have said many of his claims and media posts appear to rely on images from 2020, when demonstrations and unrest gripped the city following the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police.

On Saturday, before the judge’s ruling was released, about 400 protesters marched from a park to the Portland Immigration and Customs Enforcement Detention facility. The group included people of all ages and races, families with children and retirees with walkers, the Oregonian reported. Federal agents used chemical crowd control munitions, including tear gas canisters and less-lethal guns that sprayed pepper balls, and arrested at least six people as the group reached the ICE facility.

By 4 p.m. the crowd had thinned significantly.

A federal ‘crime force’ in Memphis

On Wednesday, Hegseth, Bondi and White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller rallied members of a federal law enforcement task force that began operating in Memphis as part of Trump’s crime-fighting plan. Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, a Republican, has supported the effort.

Bondi said via social media that the task force made more than 50 arrests over a two-day period. More than 200 officers were deputized, including personnel from immigration and drug enforcement. They were serving criminal arrest warrants and teaming with state agencies on traffic stops.

Some residents, including Latinos, have expressed concerns that agents will detain people regardless of immigration status.

Louisiana’s governor asks for National Guard

On Sept. 30, Republican Gov. Jeff Landry asked for a guard deployment to New Orleans and other cities to help fight crime.

In a letter to Hegseth, Landry also praised the president’s decision to send troops to Washington and Memphis.

He said there has been “elevated violent crime rates” in Shreveport, Baton Rouge and New Orleans, as well as shortages in local law enforcement.

But crime in some of the state’s biggest cities has actually decreased recently, with New Orleans seeing a particularly steep drop in 2025 that has it on pace for the lowest number of killings in over five decades.

Appellate court weighs California deployment

Trump deployed guard soldiers and active duty Marines in Los Angeles during the summer over the objections of Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who sued and won a temporary block after a federal judge found the president’s use of the guard was likely unlawful.

The Trump administration appealed, and the block was put on hold by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The appellate case is still underway, but the panel has indicated that it believes the administration is likely to prevail.

Associated Press reporters across the U.S. contributed, including Thomas Peipert in Denver; Claire Rush in Portland; Rebecca Boone in Boise, Idaho; Sophia Tareen in Chicago; and Josh Boak in Washington.

ABC News contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
'Scrubs' set visit: What it's like to be on the set with Zach Braff, Donald Faison, Sarah Chalke and the whole cast

Behind the Scenes of ‘Scrubs’: A Day on Set with Zach Braff, Donald Faison, Sarah Chalke, and the Entire Cast

The beloved medical comedy “Scrubs” is making a comeback on ABC’s primetime…
After Bari Weiss cancels UCLA talk, UC President vows to protect free expression

UC President Pledges Free Speech Protection After Bari Weiss Cancels UCLA Event

The University of California’s President, James Milliken, has pledged to uphold both…
11-year-old accused in adoptive dad’s birthday night killing over video game now faces adult trial: docs

11-Year-Old Faces Adult Court for Alleged Birthday Night Tragedy Tied to Video Game Dispute

In Pennsylvania, an 11-year-old boy made his initial court appearance on Thursday,…
Author and philanthropist Anna Murdoch-Mann dies at 81

Renowned Author and Philanthropist Anna Murdoch-Mann Passes Away at 81

Anna Murdoch-Mann, a cherished figure, left this world on Tuesday, February 17,…
CIA rescinds 19 DEI-infused intel reports, including warning about women in traditional 'gender roles'

CIA Withdraws 19 Reports on Diversity and Gender Roles

WASHINGTON — The CIA has withdrawn more than a dozen intelligence reports…
Is 'Mr. Clean' actually retiring? Here’s what the brand says of the iconic 'grime-fighter'

Is the Iconic ‘Mr. Clean’ Retiring? Brand Responds to Speculations About the Renowned ‘Grime-Fighter

In a playful twist, Mr. Veritably Clean, the iconic ambassador of cleanliness,…
Clayton Dietz, accused of killing adoptive father hauled into court in handcuffs

Shocking Courtroom Drama: Clayton Dietz Faces Justice in Adoptive Father’s Murder Case

An 11-year-old, described as having a youthful appearance, faced the court in…
Today in History: February 21, Figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi wins gold for the US

Relive February 21st: Kristi Yamaguchi’s Historic Gold Medal Triumph in Figure Skating

As we mark Saturday, February 21, 2026, it is the 52nd day…
Scott Bessent attacks Gavin Newsom: 'Glass jaw, slow brain'

Scott Bessent Slams Gavin Newsom: Unmasking the ‘Glass Jaw, Slow Brain’ Controversy

Scott Bessent recently delivered a scathing critique of Gavin Newsom, describing the…
President Trump to sign new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court defeat

Trump Introduces 10% Global Tariff Following Supreme Court Ruling

On Friday afternoon, President Trump declared that he is enacting a 10%…
Eagle-eyed cops nab NYC transit terrors — only to see them released without bail

NYC’s Revolving Door: Police Catch Transit Offenders, But Bail Reform Sets Them Free

In a span of just 24 hours this week, vigilant NYPD officers…
Asking Eric: Relatives refuse to go one holiday without drinking

Family Dynamics: Relatives Insist on Alcohol During Every Holiday Gathering, Eric Seeks Advice

Dear Eric: At 58, I find myself grappling with cirrhosis, a diagnosis…