Chinese city officials issue a rare apology after authorities harass journalists on live TV

TAIPEI, Taiwan — City officials in eastern China apologized to local journalists after authorities were shown pushing them and trying to obstruct reporting from the site of a deadly explosion, in a rare acknowledgment of state aggression against journalists.

The city of Sanhe, near Beijing, issued a public apology Thursday after authorities were shown harassing reporters from state-run broadcaster CCTV during a live broadcast near the site of a suspected gas leak explosion that killed seven and injured 27 on Wednesday.

Harassment of journalists — including foreign reporters — is common in China but almost never acknowledged by the state.

A statement on the city’s official website expressed “deep regret” over the treatment of the CCTV reporters and other media workers. It said authorities were trying to remove the journalists from the site because they were concerned about a potential gas leak.

“The poor communication skills of our frontline staff and their rough and simplistic methods caused misunderstandings among journalists and doubts among the public, resulting in a negative social impact,” it said.

The harassment, shown live during the midday newscast, was a rare off-script moment for China’s tightly controlled state media. Beijing regards media as propaganda tools and regularly issues directives about topics that are off-limits for coverage.

The All-China Journalists Association put out a statement defending the journalists’ right to report from disaster sites. It fell short of explicitly condemning the Sanhe authorities’ actions.

Asked about the behavior in Sanhe during a regular news briefing, the Chinese Foreign Ministry referred reporters to the city’s statement.

Spokesperson Wang Wenbin said China welcomes foreign journalists to “conduct interviews and reports in accordance with the law and regulations.”

“If any problems come up, our communication channels are open,” he said.

Foreign journalists are often harassed, manhandled or followed by plainclothes police officers while reporting in China, and their sources may be threatened, interrogated or detained.

Earlier in March, a Dutch journalist and a camera operator were detained while reporting on a protest outside an investment bank in the southwestern province of Sichuan. Authorities shoved the journalist to the ground and used umbrellas to block the camera.

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China, a professional group in Beijing, regularly condemns such actions. However, the Foreign Ministry, which is the point of contact for foreign journalists in the country, has not in recent memory publicly acknowledged or apologized for the harassment.

For Chinese journalists, refusing to toe the official line may translate into imprisonment or being pushed out of the profession. China has the highest number of imprisoned journalists in the world — 44 in 2023, according to a report by the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Over the past few years, Beijing has also increasingly restricted journalists’ access to politicians and officials of any kind.

This year, China canceled the annual news conference by the premier — a 30-year tradition that constituted one of the rare times a top Chinese leader took questions from journalists.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Ohio Doctor Killed in Alleged Plot by Teen Daughter After Fight - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Doctor Killed in Alleged Plot by Teen Daughter After Fight

An Ohio physician who once authored a study about “the violent and…
Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States - Internewscast Journal

Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States

Federal health officials said Friday that a multistate outbreak involving E. coli…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
Colorado River Water Cuts Hit California, Nevada, Arizona - Internewscast Journal

Colorado River Water Cuts Hit California, Nevada, Arizona

Federal officials on Friday unveiled steep Colorado River water reductions for the…
John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police - Internewscast Journal

John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police

Retired NYPD Chief of Department John Chell, once the department’s top uniformed…
Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over unhinged, 'antisemitic' rant against Warner Bros merger

Paramount Fires Back at Mark Ruffalo Over ‘Antisemitic’ Warner Bros. Merger Attack

Paramount is pushing back against Mark Ruffalo after the actor criticized the…
Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House - Internewscast Journal

Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House

A woman accused of planning an ISIS-inspired bombing at the New York…
GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction - Internewscast Journal

GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction

Rep. Jeff Van Drew (R-NJ) used a Friday appearance on Fox Business…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…
Iryna Zarutska’s Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Charlotte Over Fatal Train Stabbing - Internewscast Journal

Iryna Zarutska’s Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Charlotte Over Fatal Train Stabbing

The family of Iryna Zarutska has filed a lawsuit against the city…
Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute

Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case A Texas court removed Judge…
Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial

Prosecutors said Friday that Karmelo Anthony had previously discussed carrying out a…