Cuba plunges into third major blackout this year as power crisis worsens

Cuba was thrown into darkness Monday after a nationwide power failure hit the island, underscoring the escalating energy emergency battering the country’s already weakened electrical network.

The blackout disrupted service for about 10 million residents before crews managed to bring limited power back to parts of the country.

“A total disconnection of the National Electric Power System is occurring,” Cuba’s state-run Electric Union said Monday morning. “The causes are being investigated.”

Cuba has endured more frequent and prolonged outages in recent years while grappling with persistent fuel shortages and an aging power grid. The situation intensified after President Donald Trump introduced new sanctions in January and warned of tariffs against nations supplying oil to the island.

people walking through streets of havana

People walk along a street during a blackout in Havana, Cuba, on Monday, July 6, 2026. (Ramon Espinosa)

As the outage unfolded Monday, much of the public transportation system came to a standstill, while officials said tens of thousands of surgeries were called off across the country, The Associated Press (AP) reported.

Officials later reported that one generating unit was back online about two hours after the grid failure.

“Microsystems are already operational throughout the country, to ensure protection for vital services,” the Electric Union said.

boy holidng oil bottle near solar panel

A child walks with a bottle of oil past a solar panel set up on the street to charge batteries during a blackout in Havana, Cuba, Monday, July 6, 2026. (Ramon Espinosa)

The energy minister said officials were working to restore power while accusing the U.S. of contributing to Cuba’s energy struggles. 

“Vital services continue to be protected, amidst this complex situation exacerbated by the energy blockade we face,” Vicente de la O Levy said.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel also blamed U.S. policies, describing the energy blockade as a “genocidal” measure imposed by Washington. 

“While the U.S. tries to induce a social explosion through asphyxiation by blocking fuel access to #Cuba, the UNE mobilizes to reverse the SEN outage,” Díaz-Canel said, referring to Cuba’s National Electric Power System. 

“What the electrical workers are doing in the midst of a genocidal energy blockade is heroic.”

people signaling a car during a blackout

A woman with her son signals a car on a dark street during a blackout in Bauta municipality, Artemisa province, Cuba, on March 18, 2024.  (YAMIL LAGE/AFP via Getty Images)

Cuba’s energy crisis intensified earlier this year after a U.S. military operation captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and halted Venezuelan oil exports, cutting off a key source of fuel for the island. 

While Cuba produces only about 40% of the fuel it needs, a Russian tanker delivered roughly 730,000 barrels of oil to the country in March, supplies that were depleted by the end of April, according to The AP.

To conserve fuel, the Cuban government has imposed scheduled power outages that have lasted more than 24 consecutive hours in some areas, the outlet said. 

A blackout in early March affected Cuba’s western provinces, while a separate outage in mid-March plunged the entire island into darkness. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked - Internewscast Journal

Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked

A Tennessee motorist accused of plowing into a group of college cyclists,…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
Video Shows Pasadena Mailman Accused of Attacking Beloved Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Video Shows Pasadena Mailman Accused of Attacking Beloved Peacock

A well-known white peacock in a Pasadena neighborhood was allegedly pursued and…
CBP officers seize nearly 850 pounds of khat packed into 12 suitcases after flight from London

CBP Seizes Nearly 850 Pounds of Khat in 12 Suitcases After London Flight

Customs officers at a Maryland airport say they intercepted nearly 850 pounds…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Bayonne, NJ Wins LLWS Opener on Thrilling Walk-Off Homer - Internewscast Journal

Bayonne, NJ Wins LLWS Opener on Thrilling Walk-Off Homer

Bridgewater Little League pitcher Jude DeSimone could only tip his cap toward…
Pastor and wife spread Gospel nationwide before abuse case exposed disturbing reality

Pastor Couple’s Nationwide Gospel Tour Unravels After Abuse Case

A Tennessee pastor who spent years traveling across the country for his…
Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old

A Southern California family is grieving the devastating loss of their 8-year-old…
Illegal immigrant accused of operating overcrowded boat that capsized near Liberty Island arrested by ICE

ICE Arrests Illegal Immigrant Accused in Liberty Island Capsize

Woman, baby dead after boat overturns in NY harbor A 27-year-old woman…
Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial

Marc Jacobs is facing backlash after saying he would be willing to…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…