Department of Energy cuts $3.7 billion in clean energy grants
Share this @internewscast.com

The grants were largely awarded during former President Joe Biden’s last few months in the White House.

WASHINGTON — On Friday, Energy Secretary Chris Wright announced the cancellation of nearly $4 billion worth of project grants, delivering a significant setback to efforts aimed at clean energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S. during President Donald Trump’s tenure.

These grants, mainly distributed in the closing months of President Joe Biden’s term, were intended for initiatives focused on capturing and storing carbon emissions underground. The projects also extended to improving cleaner cement production, natural gas, and other related technologies.

Among the 24 rescinded awards were $500 million for Heidelberg Materials US, Inc., $375 million for Eastman Chemical Company, $95 million for Nevada Gold Mines, LLC, and $270 million for Sutter CCUS. A list from the Department of Energy showed these details, with Sublime Systems expressing their “surprise and disappointment” after losing an $87 million grant.

“Today’s action is bad for U.S. competitiveness in the global market and also directly contradictory to the administration’s stated goals of supporting energy production and environmental innovation,” said Conrad Schneider, a senior director at the Clean Air Task Force. It “undercuts U.S. competitiveness at a time when there is a growing global market for cleaner industrial products and technologies.”

The news was a swift follow-up to plans the Energy Department announced earlier this month to review 179 funded projects, totaling over $15 billion, that were awarded by the Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations created under the 2021 bipartisan infrastructure law.

It is part of Wright’s pledge to ensure “responsible” spending — aligning with the government’s broader efficiency and cost-cutting measures, such as those recommended by the Department of Government Efficiency, which has significantly impacted federal research, workers and agencies.

“While the previous administration failed to conduct a thorough financial review before signing away billions of taxpayer dollars, the Trump administration is doing our due diligence to ensure we are utilizing taxpayer dollars to strengthen our national security, bolster affordable, reliable energy sources and advance projects that generate the highest possible return on investment,” Wright said in Friday’s statement.

Moreover, the announcement marks the latest of the administration’s attacks on clean energy, broadly, and its effort to slash federal support for projects addressing climate change.

The Trump administration has taken an ax to Biden-era environmental ambitions, rolled back landmark regulations, withdrawn climate project funding, and instead bolstered support for oil and gas production in the name of an “American energy dominance” agenda.

Steven Nadel, executive director of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, called the news “shortsighted.”

Carbon capture has been a controversial climate solution, as skeptics say it enables the continued burning of fossil fuels oil, coal and natural gas that emit planet-warming greenhouse gases — including carbon dioxide — and distracts from the need to cut ties with those energy sources altogether. Though investment in the technology has grown, it also remains challenging to scale.

Industry decries the news

Organizations quickly decried the secretary’s actions, stressing that the cancelations don’t align with the administration’s goals to bolster domestic manufacturing or energy independence.

Jessie Stolark, the executive director of the nonpartisan Carbon Capture Coalition, said the news “is a major step backward” for carbon management technologies, which are “crucial to meeting America’s growing demand for affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy.”

“These projects are not just reducing pollution, they are keeping the U.S. on the cutting edge of manufacturing technology,” said Mike Williams, senior fellow on the energy and environment team at public policy and advocacy group the Center for American Progress. “Canceling these important projects will raise energy prices for consumers and sacrifice thousands of high-quality union jobs, all because the president wants to curry favor with Big Oil.”

Evan Gillespie, partner at decarbonization organization, Industrious Labs, said the move dismantles the economy and the future of American manufacturing and its workforce.

“Killing these projects means more emissions, more pollution, and more people getting sick,” he said.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
2 illegal alien 'perverts' allegedly sodomized, beat, ripped fingernails off male victim in NC home invasion

Disturbing NC Home Invasion: Victim Brutalized by Alleged Illegal Immigrants

EXCLUSIVE: In a shocking development out of North Carolina, two men arrested…
Fourth measles case confirmed in LA county, community urged to take precautions

Urgent Alert: Fourth Measles Case Hits LA County – Essential Precautions You Need to Take Now!

A fourth instance of measles has surfaced in Los Angeles County, prompting…
LA security guard caught on camera pummeling homeless man

LA Security Guard Captured on Video in Altercation with Homeless Individual

A recent incident in West Hollywood has drawn attention after a security…
EPA to reform Biden's $5B electric school bus program by providing more fuel alternatives

EPA to Enhance Biden’s $5 Billion Electric School Bus Initiative with Expanded Fuel Options

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is planning to revamp an…
Woman charged with animal abandonment after leaving dog tied at JetBlue counter at Las Vegas airport

Woman Faces Charges for Abandoning Dog at JetBlue Counter in Las Vegas Airport

An unusual and distressing incident unfolded at a Las Vegas airport when…
Repeat offender labeled 'danger to the community' walks free after Biden autopen clemency

Serial Offender Released After Clemency Approval Sparks Community Concerns

In an unexpected turn of events, a repeat offender, once labeled by…
Lake Tahoe avalanche victims allegedly took most dangerous escape route

Lake Tahoe Avalanche Tragedy: Victims Reportedly Chose Riskiest Escape Route, Experts Say

Reports indicate that backcountry skiers involved in a massive avalanche near Lake…
NYC teens charged in Queensboro bridge TikTok stunt fail

NYC Teens Face Charges After TikTok Stunt Attempt on Queensboro Bridge Goes Awry

In a reckless attempt to create viral content for TikTok, two teenagers…
Budget shortfall may close the book on Mamdani’s library funding promise

Is Mamdani’s Library Funding Promise in Jeopardy? Budget Shortfall Threatens Vital Resources

In a surprising turn of events, Mayor Mamdani’s preliminary budget plan includes…
Christian mother, teacher's autopsy conducted as police probe homicide in Ohio home invasion

Ohio Shooting: 911 Records Reveal Response to Tragic Incident Involving Christian Mother and Teacher

In a heart-wrenching tragedy that has shaken a quiet Ohio community, the…
Virginia school suspends numerous students after anti-ICE walkout; organizers plan countywide protest

Virginia School Suspends Multiple Students Following Anti-ICE Walkout; Organizers Plan Countywide Demonstration

Over 300 students in Virginia faced suspension after participating in a student-organized…
Trump to release government UFO and 'extraterrestrial life' files

Trump to Unveil Government UFO Files: Potential Revelations on Extraterrestrial Life

In a significant move that has sparked widespread intrigue, President Trump declared…