Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez released from prison after 2022 shooting, attempted murder of man molesting his son
Share this @internewscast.com

In a recent development, Cain Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion, has been released from a correctional facility in Soledad, California. This news was confirmed by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to ABC7 Eyewitness News based in San Francisco.

Velasquez’s release comes after he was sentenced in 2025 to a five-year prison term for attempted murder. This sentence accounted for three years he had already spent in custody while awaiting his sentencing. The CDCR noted that Velasquez was eligible for various credit-earning opportunities while incarcerated, and he fulfilled his complete sentence as stipulated by legal requirements.

In February 2022, Velasquez found himself embroiled in a high-profile case after being accused of opening fire during a high-speed car chase spanning 11 miles in Morgan Hill. The incident involved Harry Goularte, who was allegedly running from Velasquez.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez on Monday has been sentenced to five years in prison for attempted murder

The backdrop of this dramatic chase was a deeply personal and distressing accusation against Goularte, who was accused of molesting Velasquez’s then-4-year-old son at a daycare facility. This daycare was operated by Goularte’s mother, and Goularte’s stepfather was also present inside the targeted vehicle during the chase. Unfortunately, Goularte’s stepfather was shot and sustained injuries.

In the legal proceedings that followed, Goularte was charged with a felony but maintained his innocence by pleading not guilty to the charges.

Goularte faced a felony charge in the case, and pleaded not guilty.

According to KGO-TV’s media partner, The San Jose Mercury News, Goularte’s case is still pending and court records show a trial setting hearing scheduled for April 15.

RELATED: Former UFC champ Cain Velasquez arrested suspicion of attempted murder after SJ shooting, police say

Velasquez pleaded no contest in 2024.

Cain Velasquez told the judge during his March 2025 sentencing, he completely agreed with whatever the judge’s sentencing sees fit. He called his actions reckless and dangerous. And said that he was truly sorry.

ABC7 Eyewitness News reached out to his defense attorney, Renee Hessling, and she said, Velazquez is not available for a statement at this time.

Copyright © 2026 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
ANALYSIS: El Paso Airspace Shutdown Indicates Growing Pains in Trump Admin’s Attention to Long-Ignored Cartel Drone Menace

El Paso Airspace Closure Highlights Trump’s Struggle with Escalating Cartel Drone Threat

The issue of cartel drones flying across the U.S.-Mexico border, with estimates…
Hundreds of women pledge loyalty to 'Deadpool Killer' despite brutal double murder confession

Hundreds of Women Show Support for ‘Deadpool Killer’ Amidst Double Murder Confession

Despite confessing to the gruesome murders of two women, Wade Wilson—dubbed the…
Federica Brignone wins giant slalom for 2nd gold medal of the Olympics, Mikaela Shiffrin finishes 11th

Federica Brignone Triumphs in Giant Slalom for Second Olympic Gold as Mikaela Shiffrin Struggles

By STEVE DOUGLAS CORTINA D’AMPEZZO — As Federica Brignone absorbed the joy…
Oregon commissioner violated policy after 'stripper' comment

Oregon Official Faces Scrutiny for Inappropriate Comment

An Oregon official is under scrutiny after an investigation revealed he retaliated…
What happened to Alex Vesia's baby? Dodgers reliever speaks publicly for 1st time since daughter's death

Heartbreaking Loss: Dodgers’ Alex Vesia Opens Up About Tragic Loss of Infant Daughter

In an emotional address on Friday, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Alex Vesia…
DC Water Admits 100x Data Error As Networks Ignore Massive Potomac Sewage Spill

DC Water’s Major Miscalculation: Potomac Sewage Spill 100 Times Larger Than Reported

National broadcast networks have overlooked a significant environmental and public health issue…
DNA breakthrough closes 30-year-old cold case in brutal 1993 rape and murder

Revolutionary DNA Breakthrough Solves Decades-Old 1993 Rape and Murder Mystery

US murder rate falls to 100-year low in 2025 In a significant…
DEA supervisor Melitón Cordero arrested as US shutters Dominican Republic office during visa-fraud probe

DEA Supervisor Melitón Cordero Arrested Amid Dominican Republic Office Closure in Visa Fraud Investigation

A supervisor from the US Drug Enforcement Administration’s office in the Dominican…
Anthony Kim wins LIV Golf event for first victory in 16 years

Anthony Kim Makes Triumphant Return with First LIV Golf Win in 16 Years

After a 12-year hiatus from the golf world due to a torn…
How did Mikaela Shiffrin do in women’s giant slalom final?

Mikaela Shiffrin’s Performance in Women’s Giant Slalom Final: Full Results and Highlights

Mikaela Shiffrin returned to the slopes for the giant slalom event in…
LA Mayor Bass announces search for new city poet laureate

Mayor Bass of Los Angeles Initiates Search for Next City Poet Laureate

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass has initiated the search for a new…
Canada trans shooter stepfather feels 'unbearable' pain from losing 11-year-old son to troubled teen

Stepfather of Canada Shooting Victim Shares Heartbreaking Grief Over Son’s Tragic Loss

In his first comprehensive remarks since the horrific event, the stepfather of…