Father kills wife and 3 children in murder-suicide at home in Honolulu, police say

A man stabbed his wife and three children to death in their family home in Honolulu before taking his own life on Sunday, police said, in one of the deadliest crimes in Hawaii’s capital.

None of the victims have been named, but police said the children were aged 10, 12 and 17. All five were pronounced dead at the scene.

Honolulu Police Department Lt. Deena Thoemmes said at a news conference that officers were called to reports of an argument at a house in the city’s Manoa district around 9 a.m. Sunday and found five people dead.

The identities of the dead will be released in a report from the medical examiner’s office, police said.

“Based on the evidence found at the scene and the investigation thus far, it appears that the adult male killed the female and the juveniles with a knife that was recovered from the scene. The motive is still under investigation,” Thoemmes said.

She added that based on evidence found so far, “these don’t appear to be random acts.” Police are interviewing neighbors and reviewing security camera footage to find out more.

Thoemmes said the killings represented the most deadly crime in Honolulu since seven people were shot dead at a Xerox Corporation building in 1999, still the worst mass shooting to take place in Hawaii.

HPD Chief Arthur “Joe” Logan said at the same news conference: “I’d like to give our heartfelt condolences to the families. It’s unfortunate and very sad.”

He said he visited the crime scene to ensure that his officers were “mentally and physically fit to do their job, which they are.”

Logan also said that officers were first called to the house at 8:30 a.m. and may have knocked on the door and spoken to someone, but then left without taking any further action — only to return soon after, following another 911 call.

“So really they didn’t have enough information to make entry into the dwelling until we came back at 9 a.m. and spoke to another witness who provided more information,” Logan said.

He added that a crime this brutal “doesn’t happen in Hawaii very often.” He said the scenes inside the house will stay with the officers who responded “for the rest of their lives.”

Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi said in a statement that he was “heartbroken by the tragic incident … claiming the lives of an entire family, ” Hawaii News Now reported.

Hawaii News Now spoke to neighbors who describe the so-far unnamed family as normal and typical, describing how they would put up decorations for festivals and let the children play in the street.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s 1996 Killing

Prosecutors are expected to rely heavily on the defendant’s own account, including…
Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist

Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial will not move forward next month as…
Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation - Internewscast Journal

Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation

MERCED, Calif. — Animal welfare advocates and concerned residents rallied Friday outside…
Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer

A determined Kentucky farmer who proudly describes herself as a “country hick”…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…
Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War - Internewscast Journal

Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War

Iran fires missiles toward US-UK military base President Trump’s warning that he…
Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances - Internewscast Journal

Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances

Humanoid robots designed to move independently across rough terrain and identify people…
School Vaccination Rates Hit Record Low, Exemptions New High - Internewscast Journal

School Vaccination Rates Hit Record Low, Exemptions New High

Vaccination coverage among U.S. kindergartners slipped once more last school year, while…
Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray - Internewscast Journal

Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray

A runner was injured in a bear attack on a well-used Alaska…
Louisiana Husband Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Her Body Across Multiple States before Arrest - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Husband Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Her Body Across Multiple States before Arrest

A Louisiana man is accused of fatally shooting his wife, placing her…
Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm - Internewscast Journal

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm

Suffolk County has quietly approved a five-year contract worth nearly $4 million…