FBI probes texts impersonating White House chief of staff Susie Wiles 

FBI Investigates Fake Texts Posing as White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles

The FBI is investigating an effort by an unknown individual to impersonate White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, according to a report. 

An impostor has reportedly been sending text messages and making phone calls to Republican lawmakers, governors, and business executives, impersonating Wiles, as reported by the Wall Street Journal on Thursday.

It is unclear who is orchestrating this campaign and what their objective is, but the impersonator seems to be using artificial intelligence to replicate Wiles’s voice. In one instance, the impostor even requested a cash transfer, according to the outlet.

One text from the person claiming to be Wiles asked a lawmaker to put together a list of people who could be pardoned by President Trump. 

The messages raised suspicions because they didn’t originate from Wiles’s phone number, asked questions about Trump that the real chief of staff would already know, were unusually formal, and contained broken grammar.

FBI officials have informed the White House they don’t suspect a foreign nation is behind the con. 

“The White House takes the cybersecurity of all staff very seriously, and this matter continues to be investigated,” a White House spokeswoman told the Wall Street Journal. 

Earlier this month, the FBI warned of “an ongoing malicious text and voice messaging campaign” that has been occurring since April, where actors have “impersonated senior US officials to target individuals, many of whom are current or former senior US federal or state government officials and their contacts.

“The malicious actors have sent text messages and AI-generated voice messages — techniques known as smishing and vishing, respectively — that claim to come from a senior US official in an effort to establish rapport before gaining access to personal accounts,” read the warning released by the bureau on May 15. 

It’s unclear if the warning was issued in response to the Wiles hack.

FBI Director Kash Patel told the Journal that the bureau “takes all threats against the president, his staff, and our cybersecurity with the utmost seriousness.”

 â€œSafeguarding our administration officials’ ability to securely communicate to accomplish the president’s mission is a top priority,” he added. 

Wiles has reportedly told associates that the contacts on her personal cellphone are the ones that have been hacked, and she has urged them to disregard the strange messages — which have been sent as recently as when Trump and Wiles were in the Middle East two weeks ago. 

Wiles’ email account was reportedly hacked by Iranian operatives targeting the Trump campaign during last year’s presidential campaign. 

Three members of Iran’s notorious Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) were indicted over the hacking last September. 

The White House and FBI did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment.

You May Also Like

Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash

Andrea Mauk was thousands of miles from home when she learned her…
Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made - Internewscast Journal

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gang-related shooting at a…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
Charles Manson's granddaughter reveals moment she discovered dark family secret: 'It was devastating'

Charles Manson’s Granddaughter Reveals How She Learned Her Family’s Dark Secret: ‘It Was Devastating’

In 2022, Sophia Maddox got the kind of phone call that can…
Two shot after argument at high school football game at Legends Center, JSO says

2 Shot After Argument at Legends Center High School Football Game, JSO Says

Two adults are expected to recover after a shooting Friday night, while…
Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says - Internewscast Journal

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says

Both formal sexual assault reports and the Pentagon’s estimated count of sexual…
Beyond Hormuz: The Deeper Oil Threat That Could Outlast War - Internewscast Journal

Beyond Hormuz: The Deeper Oil Threat That Could Outlast War

While much of the world is watching oil tankers navigate the Strait…
Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash - Internewscast Journal

Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday signed the disputed “Stop Nick Shirley…
AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey - Internewscast Journal

AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has finished her egg-freezing process and says she plans…
Tropical Storm Moke Forecast to Bring Up to 15 Inches of Rain in Hawaii: Maps and Projected Path - Internewscast Journal

Tropical Storm Moke Forecast to Bring Up to 15 Inches of Rain in Hawaii: Maps and Projected Path

Tropical Storm Moke is forecast to bring bouts of heavy rain and…
Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In - Internewscast Journal

Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In

A San Diego public safety meeting took an unexpectedly surreal turn this…