Juul news: Vape brand can continue selling its tobacco, menthol flavors of e-cigarettes, FDA says
Share this @internewscast.com

The Food and Drug Administration has decided to allow Juul to continue selling its e-cigarettes, offering relief to the company often blamed for initiating the trend of teen vaping.

According to FDA regulators on Thursday, Juul’s research demonstrates that its e-cigarettes present a lower risk to adult smokers, who might benefit by switching entirely to vaping.

This FDA ruling covers both tobacco and menthol flavors of the reusable device, which operates with nicotine cartridges available in two strengths. Juul had earlier ceased offering various fruit and candy flavors, which contributed to its early popularity but were popular among teenagers.

Juul will be one of only two U.S. companies authorized to sell menthol-flavored vapes, which many adults prefer to tobacco flavor.

“This is an important milestone for the company and I think we made a scientifically sound case for the role that menthol can play in e-vapor,” Juul CEO K.C. Crosthwaite told The Associated Press.

Parents, politicians and antitobacco groups are certain to oppose FDA’s decision. They have argued for years that Juul should be permanently banned from selling its products due to its role in triggering a yearslong spike in underage vaping

Juul was once valued at over $13 billion and its small, sleek e-cigarettes revolutionized the image and technology of the vaping industry. But the company has since been forced to slash hundreds of jobs and pay billions to settle lawsuits over its role in the rise of youth vaping.

The FDA had ordered the company to remove its products from the market in June 2022. But then the agency abruptly reversed course and agreed to reopen its scientific review of Juul’s application after the company pushed back in court.

Juul said that regulators had overlooked thousands of pages of scientific data critical to its submission.

Thursday’s announcement is not an approval or endorsement, and the FDA reiterated that people who do not smoke should not use Juul or any other e-cigarettes. The FDA determination indicates that smokers who switch completely to Juul can reduce their exposure to deadly carcinogens and other chemicals found in traditional cigarettes.

The FDA decision applies to Juul’s original product, which is now roughly a decade old. Crosthwaite said the company hopes to win authorization for its next-generation device and is also considering applying to FDA for more flavors.

In recent years, the FDA has authorized a handful of e-cigarettes to help adult smokers cut back on traditional cigarettes, while rejecting more than a million other vaping products that failed to meet agency standards. Juul’s main competitors, Vuse and Njoy, each previously received FDA permission to remain on the market.

To meet FDA requirements, companies must show that their e-cigarettes benefit public health. In practice, that means proving that adult smokers who use them are likely to quit or reduce their smoking, while teens are unlikely to get hooked on them.

The brainchild of two Stanford University students, Juul launched in 2015 and within two years rocketed to the top of the vaping market.

Juul quickly outpaced earlier brands with its high-nicotine, fruity-flavored vape cartridges, sold in mango, mint and creme brulé. The company’s small, discrete devices provided a more potent, user-friendly alternative to older, bulkier devices.

But the company’s rise was fueled by underage use, and e-cigarettes quickly became ubiquitous in U.S. high schools and middle schools. In 2019, the company was pressured into halting all advertising and eliminating most of its flavors, leaving only tobacco and menthol-flavored cartridges for its device.

By then the company was already the target of multiple investigations and lawsuits by Congress, state and local officials and class action attorneys.

In 2022, the company paid $1.7 billion to settle thousands of lawsuits brought by families of Juul users, school districts, city governments and Native American tribes. The company has separately agreed to pay $1.1 billion to settle lawsuits with most U.S. states.

Juul is no longer the top-selling e-cigarette brand and now trails Vuse, which is sold by Reynolds American.

Teens have also shifted away from the brand amid a wider drop in vaping, according to the latest federal survey. The FDA reported last year that teen vaping dropped to a 10-year low, after stepped up enforcement against unauthorized brands imported from China, such as Elf Bar.

Unlike Juul, disposable e-cigarettes like Elf Bar still come in fruit and candy flavors, despite efforts by regulators to block their use.

The video in the player above is from an earlier report.

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Knicks HC Mike Brown says benching Josh Hart was a mistake: ‘I was wrong’

Knicks Head Coach Mike Brown Admits Error in Benching Josh Hart: ‘I Was Wrong’

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown admitted to an error in…
Pei-Yun Chung: 'Dine-and-dash diva' accused of skipping out on bills at high-end Brooklyn, New York City restaurants

Brooklyn’s ‘Dine-and-Dash Diva’ Allegedly Leaves High-End Eateries Without Paying

NEW YORK — A social media influencer, notorious for allegedly evading payments…
A Thanksgiving to remember: IHOP waitress gets $2,000 tip after man raises money on social media

Heartwarming Thanksgiving Surprise: IHOP Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip Thanks to Viral Social Media Campaign

“I was completely stunned,” shared server Ashley Cruz. “This feels like a…
How to control your cravings this holiday season: Simple strategies to help you stay on track

Effective Strategies to Manage Holiday Cravings and Maintain Your Goals

LOS ANGELES (KABC) — As the holiday season approaches, many are looking…
Sex trafficking has to be confronted

Urgent Action Required: Addressing the Crisis of Human Trafficking

Parents naturally want to ensure the safety of their children. However, an…
DC Guard Shooter Linked to CIA-Backed Afghan ‘Zero Units’

CIA Connection Revealed: DC Guard Shooter’s Ties to Afghan ‘Zero Units’ Exposed

A suspected Afghan terrorist who killed National Guard troops Sarah Beckstrom and…
Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

Northwestern University Agrees to $75 Million Settlement in Federal Civil Rights Case Following Antisemitism Investigations

The Trump administration has unveiled a significant federal civil-rights settlement with Northwestern…
Maduro brandishes sword at rally as he rails against 'imperialist aggression' amid rising tensions with US

Maduro’s Fiery Rally: Sword-Wielding Protest Against U.S. ‘Imperialist Aggression

Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold…
Driver carjacked in West Village by machete-wielding muggers

Driver Victimized by Machete-Wielding Assailants in West Village Carjacking

A man, aged 27, experienced a terrifying carjacking in downtown Manhattan when…
American tourist found stabbed to death in Tobago

American Tourist Tragically Discovered Fatally Stabbed in Tobago

Local authorities have reported the death of an American man found with…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
What does the future hold for Jets QB Justin Fields after benching?

Future Uncertain: What’s Next for Jets’ Quarterback Justin Fields After Recent Bench?

The future of Justin Fields with the New York Jets remains shrouded…