Federal authorities announce an end to the immigration crackdown in Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS — The intensive immigration enforcement in Minnesota, which sparked widespread detentions, protests, and resulted in two fatalities, is drawing to a close, according to border chief Tom Homan, who made the announcement on Thursday.

“Due to our initiatives here, Minnesota is now less of a haven for criminals,” Homan stated during a press conference.

He added, “I’ve recommended, and President Trump has agreed, that it’s time to wrap up this surge operation.”

The operation, dubbed Operation Metro Surge, was initiated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on December 1.

Federal officials report that raids concentrated in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area have led to over 4,000 arrests. Although the Trump administration describes those detained as “dangerous criminal illegal aliens,” the sweeps have also caught up many individuals without criminal records, including minors and U.S. citizens.

Democratic Governor Tim Walz indicated on Tuesday that, following discussions with top officials in the Trump administration, he anticipates the conclusion of Operation Metro Surge in a matter of “days, not weeks or months.” Walz mentioned that he had conversations this week with both Homan and White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey also said he had a “positive meeting” with Homan on Monday and discussed the potential for a further drawdown of federal officers.

Homan took over the Minnesota operation in late January after the second fatal shooting by federal immigration agents and amid growing political backlash and questions about how the operation was being run.

“We’re very much in a trust but verify mode,” Walz said, adding that he expected to hear more from the administration “in the next day or so” about the future of what he said has been an “occupation” and a “retribution campaign” against the state.

Officials with the Department of Homeland Security did not reply to a request for comment on the governor’s remarks.

Walz said he had no reason not to believe Homan’s statement last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but the governor added that that still left 2,300 on Minnesota’s streets. Homan at the time cited an “increase in unprecedented collaboration” resulting in the need for fewer federal officers in Minnesota, including help from jails that hold deportable inmates.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations - Internewscast Journal

California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations

The opulent life of one of California’s best-paid nonprofit executives is drawing…
Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances - Internewscast Journal

Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances

Humanoid robots designed to move independently across rough terrain and identify people…
Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore - Internewscast Journal

Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore

Call it a truly toothsome treasure from the deep. A Pennsylvania father…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…
Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate - Internewscast Journal

Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate

Two landmark vessels — one of them pictured on Maine’s state quarter…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations - Internewscast Journal

Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations

A long-running fight over housing in one of Southern California’s most affluent…
Massachusetts Teen Accused of Killing Mom, Brother After ChatGPT Activity - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Teen Accused of Killing Mom, Brother After ChatGPT Activity

A 17-year-old Massachusetts teen accused of using ChatGPT to explore fantasies about…
Hurricane Lala Hits Hawaii, Killing at Least One and Destroying Homes - Internewscast Journal

Hurricane Lala Hits Hawaii, Killing at Least One and Destroying Homes

At least one person died in a storm-related vehicle crash on Hawaii’s…
Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet - Internewscast Journal

Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet

Virginia authorities have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a mass…