Trump administration's crackdown on pro-Palestinian campus activists faces federal trial
Share this @internewscast.com

BOSTON (AP) — A federal bench trial is set to commence on Monday concerning a lawsuit contesting a Trump-era initiative aimed at arresting and deporting educators and students involved in pro-Palestinian protests and various political activities.

Filed by several university associations against former President Donald Trump and his administration members, this lawsuit stands as one of the initial trials in this context. The plaintiffs seek a ruling from U.S. District Judge William Young, arguing that the policy contravenes the First Amendment and the Administrative Procedure Act, which oversees how federal agencies formulate and enforce regulations.

“The repercussions of this policy have been immediate. Noncitizen students and faculty throughout the United States have been intimidated into silence,” the plaintiffs stated in their pretrial brief.

“Students and faculty are avoiding political protests, purging their social media, and withdrawing from public engagement with groups associated with pro-Palestinian viewpoints,” they wrote. “They’re abstaining from certain public writing and scholarship they would otherwise have pursued. They’re even self-censoring in the classroom.”

Several scholars are expected to testify how the policy and subsequent arrests have prompted them to abandon their activism for Palestinian human rights and criticizing Israeli government’s policies.

Since Trump took office, the U.S. government has used its immigration enforcement powers to crack down on international students and scholars at several American universities.

Trump and other officials have accused protesters and others of being “pro-Hamas,” referring to the Palestinian militant group that attacked Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. Many protesters have said they were speaking out against Israel’s actions in the war.

Plaintiffs single out several activists by name, including Palestinian activist and Columbia University graduate Mahmoud Khalil, who was released last month after spending 104 days in federal immigration detention. Khalil has become a symbol of Trump ’s clampdown on campus protests.

The lawsuit also references Tufts University student Rumeysa Ozturk, who was released in May from a Louisiana immigration detention. She spent six weeks in detention after she was arrested walking on the street of a Boston suburb. She claims she was illegally detained following an op-ed she co-wrote last year that criticized the school’s response to Israel’s war in Gaza.

The plaintiffs also accuse the Trump administration of supplying names to universities who they wanted to target, launching a social media surveillance program and used Trump’s own words in which he said after Khalil’s arrest that his was the “first arrest of many to come.”

The government argued in court documents that the plaintiffs are bringing a First Amendment challenge to a policy “of their own creation.”

“They do not try to locate this program in any statute, regulation, rule, or directive. They do not allege that it is written down anywhere. And they do not even try to identify its specific terms and substance,” the government argues. “That is all unsurprising, because no such policy exists.”

They argue the plaintiffs case also rest on a “misunderstanding of the First Amendment, ”which under binding Supreme Court precedent applies differently in the immigration context than it otherwise does domestically.”

But plaintiffs counter that evidence at the trial will show the Trump administration has implemented the policy a variety of ways, including issuing formal guidance on revoking visas and green cards and establishing a process for identifying those involved in pro-Palestinian protests.

“Defendants have described their policy, defended it, and taken political credit for it,” plaintiffs wrote. “It is only now that the policy has been challenged that they say, incredibly, that the policy does not actually exist. But the evidence at trial will show that the policy’s existence is beyond cavil.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Princess Noor Pahlavi stuns at LA Iran protests: 'a nation reclaiming itself'

Princess Noor Pahlavi Captivates at Los Angeles Iran Protests: ‘A Nation’s Journey to Self-Rediscovery

Members of the Iranian diaspora have lauded the efforts of the exiled…
Shipwreck hunter finds luxury steamer that sank in Lake Michigan in 1872

Historic Luxury Steamer Discovered in Lake Michigan After 1872 Sinking

In a groundbreaking discovery, researchers announced on Friday that they have located…
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump's West Palm Beach golf course

Protester Arrested for Assault Near Trump’s West Palm Beach Golf Course

A man was arrested outside former President Donald Trump’s golf course in…
Hapless Amazon delivery driver stuck in water after following GPS

Amazon Driver’s GPS Mishap Leads to Unexpected Water Adventure

In an unfortunate twist of fate, an Amazon delivery driver found themselves…
UK Gov't Launches Investigation Into Anti-Breitbart Labour Group

Breaking News: UK Government Probes Labour Group’s Anti-Breitbart Activities – What It Means for Media Politics

British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has initiated an inquiry into an…
Hochul funnels $1.5B to NYC in partial bailout after Zohran Mamdani's tax hike pleas

Governor Hochul Allocates $1.5 Billion to NYC Following Zohran Mamdani’s Tax Proposal Appeals

Governor Kathy Hochul has decided to allocate an additional $1.5 billion in…
Americans think World War III is likely within next 5 years, new poll shows

New Poll Reveals Majority of Americans Anticipate Possibility of World War III Within Five Years

The notion of an impending global conflict seems to be gaining traction…
Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Hickman jumped by group outside trendy Lower East Side hotel

Cleveland Browns’ Ronnie Hickman Involved in Incident Near Popular Lower East Side Hotel

Ronnie Hickman, a safety for the Cleveland Browns, found himself the victim…
Billboard targeting James Charles reignites sexual misconduct accusations

Explosive Billboard Sparks Renewed Allegations Against Influencer James Charles

In Los Angeles, a new billboard has emerged, bringing back to public…
Unseen Heroes | Inside Nassau County's 911 dispatch center

Discover the Unsung Heroes: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Nassau County’s 911 Dispatch Center

Amid the blare of sirens and flashing lights, a composed voice diligently…
Colin Gray trial: Opening statements start in the trial of a Georgia Apalachee High School shooting suspect's father

Opening Statements Commence in Colin Gray Trial, Father of Georgia Apalachee High School Shooting Suspect

In the quiet town of Winder, Georgia, a courtroom is poised to…
2026 Daytona 500 results: Tyler Reddick wins NASCAR Daytona 500 for 23XI Racing, owned by Chicago Bulls legend Michael Jordan

Tyler Reddick Dominates 2026 Daytona 500: A Historic Victory for Michael Jordan’s 23XI Racing

DAYTONA, Fla. — In a dramatic finish at the Daytona 500, Tyler…