Food banks brace for surge as federal food aid pause looms amid government shutdown


Food Banks Prepare for Increased Demand: Federal Food Aid Pause Threatens Communities During Government Shutdown

Food banks and pantries, already grappling with cuts from federal programs earlier this year, are now preparing for an overwhelming influx of individuals in need. This surge is anticipated as federal food aid to low-income households stands on the brink of suspension due to the ongoing government shutdown.

The demand is already evident. Over the weekend, the food pantry at Central Christian Church in downtown Indianapolis faced an unexpected challenge as they worked to serve nearly double the usual number of visitors in just one day.

Volunteer Beth White highlighted the situation, noting, “There’s been a noticeable increase in demand, largely due to the downturn in the economy. With potential disruptions in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding, the situation is likely to worsen for many families.”

This concern resonates with food charities nationwide, as states anticipate the impact of reduced SNAP benefits on low-income families. The SNAP program, pivotal in aiding 40 million Americans—approximately one in eight people—enables them to purchase groceries using debit cards loaded by the federal government each month.

This support, however, is set to stall at the beginning of next month. The Trump administration announced on Friday that it would not utilize an available $5 billion contingency fund to continue food aid in November during the shutdown. Furthermore, the administration has clarified that states covering the cost of food assistance in the interim will not receive reimbursement.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture summed up the dire situation, stating, “Bottom line, the well has run dry. At this time, there will be no benefits issued on November 1.”

It’s the latest in a string of hardships placed on charitable food services, which are intended to help take up the slack for any shortcomings in federal food assistance — not replace government help altogether.

Charities have seen growing demand since the COVID-19 pandemic and the following inflation spike, and they took a hit earlier this year when the Trump administration ended programs that had provided more than $1 billion for schools and food banks to fight hunger.

Food pantry visitors are worried

Reggie Gibbs, of Indianapolis, just recently started receiving SNAP benefits, which meant he didn’t have to pick up as much from Central Christian Church’s food pantry when he stopped by on Saturday. But he lives alone, he said, and worries what families with children will do.

“I’ve got to harken back to the families, man,” he said. “What do you think they’re going to go through, you know?”

Martina McCallop, of Washington, D.C., said she’s worried about how she’ll feed her kids, ages 10 and 12, and herself, when the $786 they get in monthly SNAP benefits is gone.

“I have to pay my bills, my rent, and get stuff my kids need,” she said. “After that, I don’t have money for food.”

She’s concerned food pantries won’t be able to meet the sudden demand in a city with so many federal workers who aren’t being paid.

In Fairfax County, Virginia, where about 80,000 federal workers live, Food for Others executive director Deb Haynes said she doesn’t expect to run out of food entirely, largely because of donors.

“If we run short and I need to ask for help, I know I will receive it,” Haynes said.

Food banks feel the increased demand

Food pantries provide about 1 meal to every 9 provided by SNAP, according to Feeding America, a nationwide network of food banks. They get the food they distribute through donations from people, businesses and some farmers. They also get food from U.S. Department of Agriculture programs and sometimes buy food with contributions and grant funding.

“When you take SNAP away, the implications are cataclysmic,” Feeding America CEO Claire Babineaux-Fontenot said. “I assume people are assuming that somebody’s going to stop it before it gets too bad. Well, it’s already too bad. And it’s getting worse.”

Some distributors are already seeing startling low food supplies. George Matysik, executive director of Share Food Program in the Philadelphia area, said a state government budget impasse had already cut funding for his program.

“I’ve been here seven years,” Matysik said. “I’ve never seen our warehouses as empty as they are right now.”

States scramble to fill in where they can

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said she is fast tracking $30 million in emergency food assistance funds to “help keep food pantries stocked,” and New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said her state would expedite $8 million that had been allocated for food banks.

Officials in Louisiana, Vermont and Virginia said last week they would seek to keep food aid flowing to recipients in their states, even if the federal program is stalled.

Other states aren’t in a position to offer much help, especially if they won’t be reimbursed by the federal government. Arkansas officials, for example, have been pointing recipients to find food pantries, or other charitable groups — even friends and family — for help.

——-

AP writers JoNel Aleccia in Los Angeles, Anthony Izaguirre in Albany, New York, Susan Montoya Bryan in Albuquerque, and video journalists Obed Lamy in Indianapolis and Mike Householder in Detroit contributed to this report.

You May Also Like

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm - Internewscast Journal

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm

Suffolk County has quietly approved a five-year contract worth nearly $4 million…
Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces - Internewscast Journal

Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces

A special education teacher accused of urging Black people online to “shoot…
Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video - Internewscast Journal

Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video

Tom Savini, the “Dawn of the Dead” star and celebrated horror effects…
Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court - Internewscast Journal

Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court

A mysterious graffiti mark found above the battered body of 18-year-old Max…
Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall - Internewscast Journal

Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall

Hurricane Lala weakened into a tropical storm on Sunday after skirting Hawaii…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
UC-Berkeley math prof forced to teach fractions because standards have fallen so far

UC Berkeley Math Professor Says Falling Standards Leave Him Teaching Fractions

A prominent University of California, Berkeley mathematics professor is criticizing the school’s…
Hayden Panettiere Death Claim: What to Know About the Scream Star - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere Death Claim: What to Know About the Scream Star

Hayden Panettiere, the actress known to audiences for her work in the…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…
Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank - Internewscast Journal

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank

A trust firm connected to the Trump family’s cryptocurrency venture, World Liberty…