Ex-NUMC CEO Meg Ryan accused of stealing $1M in exit payouts — but calls allegation 'political hit-job'

Former NUMC CEO Meg Ryan Faces Accusations of Taking M in Severance Package, Labels Allegation a 'Political Attack'

The new leadership at Nassau University Medical Center has made significant allegations, claiming that the recently dismissed CEO embezzled a minimum of $1 million from the hospital through unauthorized exit payments, according to leaked documents.

In a letter addressed to former CEO Meg Ryan on Wednesday, interim CEO Dr. Richard Becker accused her of misappropriating the money for herself and 12 other staff members who left with her at the end of May.

“We have discovered that you approved payments totaling approximately $3.5 million to yourself and 12 former employees,” Becker stated in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Post. “It appears that at least $1 million of this total exceeded the amounts owed to you and the other employees for wages and leave compensations.”

Becker ends the letter by firing Ryan, removing her from administrative leave and giving her until Friday to respond to the allegations and possibly retain her job. The letter was leaked Thursday night by state officials as Ryan was preparing to present her case.

A rep for Ryan told The Post that the allegations and the subsequent leak are part of a “political hit-job” to try and derail her credibility and career by turning her resignation into a for-cause termination tied to claims of fraud.

The representative said Ryan unequivocally denies the accusations made in the letter — and is now firing back with a lawsuit against Becker and NuHealth, the public benefit company that runs the hospital, claiming that the corporation is “trying to wriggle out of its obligations” in Ryan’s contract by “ginning up ‘cause’ where none exists.

“This is an attempt to distract from the State’s own corruption in the handling of NUMC’s finances,” the rep for Ryan said. “This leak came straight from the second floor of the governor’s office. The people who perpetuated the fraud fired the people who uncovered the fraud — and now control the hospital.”

The former CEO has been battling with state officials for years and opposing the recent state takeover of the hospital. She is now part of a federal investigation into her bombshell claims of a $1 billion scheme by state and local officials to defund the public hospital.

The state denies it has any intention to shut down the medical center, which serves nearly 300,000 patients a year. But documents obtained by The Post revealed a letter that NUMC received from the state’s Department of Health, signed by Gov. Hochul, in March 2024 that said the hospital’s current model was financially unsustainable and specifically recommended it cut staff and be converted into a 120-bed behavioral health facility.

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman announced he and the GOP majority in the county legislature would not be making their four combined picks to the newly formatted hospital board out of protest — and instead would be naming Hochul in another lawsuit to overturn the “illegal takeover.”

Since the takeover earlier this month, roughly 75 employees have resigned, including the hospital’s chief medical, nursing, human resources and information officers, as well as senior leaders in pharmacy, facilities, finance, and special projects.

Sources with the hospital also revealed to The Post that the new board may have violated state open meetings laws on top of others.

They claimed that the day Ryan was ousted as CEO in the first board meeting since restructuring, a finalized meeting agenda was not shared until an hour before the session.

They also accused hospital and board officials of breaking state procurement rules by signing an undisclosed contract with Deloitte to handle the hospital’s finances and operations.

NuHealth did not respond to a Post request for comment.

“The state’s focus at NUMC remains on patient care and the hospital’s fiscal stability. That’s all that matters — everything else is just noise,” said Gordon Tepper, the governor’s Long Island rep, last month.

You May Also Like

Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
Weezer’s The Gold Album Review: Sunny Hooks Strike Gold - Internewscast Journal

Weezer’s The Gold Album Review: Sunny Hooks Strike Gold

At first glance, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Weezer seem like two rock…
Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy - Internewscast Journal

Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy

Competing protests broke out outside the New York Liberty’s Saturday matchup at…
Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel - Internewscast Journal

Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel

Highway 1 through Big Sur is set to reopen Saturday afternoon, marking…
Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge - Internewscast Journal

Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge

People living in Ceuta, Spain’s North African enclave on the Moroccan border,…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium

CHICAGO — With Joe Burrow, Joe Flacco and Cincinnati’s other starters and…
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon - Internewscast Journal

Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon

Californians appear to be feeling unusually brave, according to a new survey…
Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says

A Chicago woman says a Wendy’s double cheeseburger came with far more…