Share this @internewscast.com

PARIS — The number of people allowed to watch the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics along the Seine River in Paris will be capped at 325,000, the French government announced Tuesday, apparently confirming that original plans to offer tickets to hundreds of thousands of spectators had been scaled back.

The Interior Ministry said that roughly 100,000 paying spectators will be offered prime viewing spots on the lower part of the riverbanks and that 222,000 more people will be able to see the boat parade from a higher vantage point free of charge.

But that latter group of spectators will be chosen by the government, public authorities or the Olympic organizing committee, according to the ministry. No one without an invitation will be allowed in.

The International Olympic Committee did not immediately reply to an email requesting comment.

Two years ago, organizers had proposed making the July 26 opening festivities accessible to as many as 600,000 people, a grand gathering that would span 6 kilometers (roughly 3.7 miles), stretching from the east of Paris to the Trocadéro.

The Paris police prefecture last month slashed that proposed crowd size in half, to 300,000.

Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin was quoted as saying government officials were mindful of potential security risks.

“To manage crowd movement, we can’t tell everyone to come,” Darmanin said, according to The Associated Press. “For security reasons that everyone understands, notably the terrorist threat of recent weeks, we are obliged to make it free but contained.”

In recent years, French law enforcement officials have grappled with terrorism and politically motivated violence.

In 2015, Islamic State terrorists attacked the Bataclan theater, Paris cafes and France’s national stadium, killing 130 people. More recently, a man killed a German Filipino tourist with a knife and injured two other people with a hammer in an attack near the Eiffel Tower in December, which authorities said may have been driven in part by the attacker’s anger at the war in Gaza.

In a presentation to the French Senate, Darmanin said the nautical parade that marks the beginning of the games would include about 90 boats carrying 206 delegations, with 10,500 athletes participating.

Nancy Ing reported from Paris and Daniel Arkin from New York.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
A Thanksgiving to remember: IHOP waitress gets $2,000 tip after man raises money on social media

Heartwarming Thanksgiving Surprise: IHOP Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip Thanks to Viral Social Media Campaign

“I was completely stunned,” shared server Ashley Cruz. “This feels like a…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
President Donald Trump says he's terminating all orders Joe Biden signed with autopen

President Donald Trump Announces Plans to Revoke All Autopen-Signed Orders by Joe Biden

In a bold proclamation from the nation’s capital, former President Donald Trump…
US passenger goes missing while on shore during Caribbean cruise

Unraveling the Mystery: Latest Developments in US Cruise Passenger’s Disappearance in the Caribbean

The perplexing case of a missing American tourist on a Caribbean island…
Indiana Republican's Problematic Remark About Trump, How He's Voting on State Redistricting

Indiana Republican’s Controversial Comment on Trump and Its Impact on State Redistricting Vote

Indiana’s legislature is currently debating a redistricting proposal that could potentially bolster…
Mike Brown: Knicks’ Jalen Brunson belongs in MVP conversation

NBA Insight: Mike Brown Advocates for Jalen Brunson’s Spot in MVP Race with New York Knicks

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown is championing his star point…
Ukrainian official Yermak resigns as corruption probe encircles Zelenskyy

Ukrainian Official Steps Down Amid Intensifying Corruption Investigation Involving Zelenskyy Administration

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has confirmed that Andriy Yermak, the head of…
ICE in Chicago: Federal agents engaged in widespread misrepresentations to justify use of force, Judge Ellis says

Federal Agents in Chicago Accused of Misrepresentation to Justify Force, Judge Ellis Reports

In Chicago, the ABC7 I-Team is delving into a collection of videos…
DC Guard Shooter Linked to CIA-Backed Afghan ‘Zero Units’

CIA Connection Revealed: DC Guard Shooter’s Ties to Afghan ‘Zero Units’ Exposed

A suspected Afghan terrorist who killed National Guard troops Sarah Beckstrom and…
Sheriff slams law enforcement agencies for releasing illegal immigrant who allegedly hit Ohio nurse

Sheriff Criticizes Law Enforcement Agencies Over Release of Undocumented Immigrant Accused in Ohio Nurse Incident

In a recent incident that has sparked outrage, an Ohio sheriff criticized…
Man arrested after allegedly attempting to kidnap two 12-year-old girls in Glynn County

Attempted Kidnapping in Glynn County: Man Arrested for Allegedly Targeting Two 12-Year-Old Girls

A 21-year-old man, Evert Luna, has been taken into custody by Glynn…
Israel releases body-cam video of deadly Syria raid targeting Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated terrorists

Israel Unveils Body-Cam Footage of Strategic Syria Operation Against Muslim Brotherhood-Linked Militants

IDF battles terrorists in Syria raid Footage from a body-camera captures a…