Govs. JB Pritzker, Tim Walz, Kathy Hochul to testify on sanctuary city, immigration policies at House Oversight Committee hearing
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO (WLS) — Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker is set to testify next month regarding his state’s sanctuary policies, according to a statement from the House Oversight Committee posted on X.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and New York Gov. Kathy Hochul will also appear before the Congressional committee on June 12, the statement said.

The announcement on X stated, “Sanctuary Governors will testify on June 12 about how their state’s policies are protecting criminal illegal aliens and putting Americans’ safety at risk.”

Republican House Oversight Committee Chair Rep. James Comer initially asked for “documents and communications” concerning Illinois’ sanctuary policies and extended an invitation to Pritzker to testify during a hearing initially scheduled for May 15.

The governor’s spokesperson responded to that request.

“Let’s call this what this is: another partisan dog and pony show. Illinois’ Trust Act – which was signed into law by a Republican – is fully compliant with federal law and ensures law enforcement can focus on doing their actual jobs while empowering all members of the public – regardless of immigration status – to feel comfortable calling law enforcement to seek help, report crimes, and cooperate in investigations. We are reviewing the request for documentation and the Governor is evaluating whether he should take time from his busy schedule serving the people of Illinois to educate the House GOP on these matters,” Pritzker’s press secretary, Alex Gough, said in a statement.

“Well, there are perils and there are advantages. He has been working very hard to enhance his reputation on the national stage,” ABC7 Political Analyst Laura Washington said about the possibility of Pritzker testifying to Congress. “But he’s going to be on the hot seat, and he’s going to be questioned very intensely.”

Republicans on the committee want to press the governors about their state’s sanctuary policies, after Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson and other mayors testified to Congress about the same topic.

“Because the House Republicans were not able to land anything against Chicago, they are trying the same performative routine again with the Governor this time. We know these policies keep our neighbors safe and it was an honor to stand up for Chicago’s values on a national stage. I know that if Governor Pritzker decides to attend, he will defend our state and our people with pride,” Johnson said in a statement.

Illinois U.S. Rep. Darin LaHood said in a statement, “For the past six years, Governor Pritzker has ignored his oath of office by encouraging and harboring illegal immigrants in our state. He continues to prioritize the needs of illegal immigrants rather than his own citizens. Governor Pritzker has championed sanctuary city policies that have endangered Illinois families and cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars. I applaud the House Oversight Committee and Chairman James Comer for allowing Illinoisians to finally hear why their governor continues to go down the path of blatantly disregarding the United States federal immigration laws.”

This comes as President Donald Trump is threatening to withhold federal funding from sanctuary cities, which could have a huge impact on Chicago.

Trump made the funding withdrawal threat on social media last month. Although, it’s not clear if the move would be legal or not.

“No more Sanctuary Cities! They protect the Criminals, not the Victims. They are disgracing our Country, and are being mocked all over the World. Working on papers to withhold all Federal Funding for any City or State that allows these Death Traps to exist!!!” Trump said.

Concerns about federal funding being withheld from Chicago have been looming for quite some time.

The city anticipates receiving approximately $3.5 billion in federal grant money this year.

Losing that would have a drastic impact on the city budget.

“And that’s a huge number to chop. You know, that will definitely have an impact on the operations of the city, everything from homelessness services to streets resurfacing, construction. I mean, it runs the gamut as to what the city would stand to lose under such a draconian cut,” said 28th Ward Ald. Jason Ervin, chairman of the Budget Committee.

The potential loss of funds could impact improvement projects and security at O’Hare and Midway, the planned extension of the CTA’s Red Line and funding for the Chicago Police Department that includes more than $50 million for an urban securities initiative.

The city provides more than $17 million in grants to day care centers to help offset the cost for qualifying families. The owner of Lil’ Scholars Learning Center says the impact would be devastating for his families.

The facility on the Near West Side cares for 40 children.

“It would be monumental because we have a number of families that attend our facility who receive subsidies, and it allows that family, that mom, that dad, to drop a child off in an environment where it’s safe and healthy, and they can go to work,” Steven Coles said.

Johnson has made it clear on numerous occasions that Chicago will not be bullied into changing its Welcoming City ordinance.

“The City of Chicago complies with all federal and state laws. Mayor Johnson’s administration will vigorously defend Chicagoans from any unconstitutional or unlawful attempts to strip residents of the funding and services that they are entitled to. The Department of Law will continue to assess any correspondence from the Trump administration that may impact Chicagoans in any way,” Johnson’s office said in a statement.

The rub for the president centers around the aspect of those laws that prohibit local law enforcement from cooperating in civil deportation matters.

The city of Chicago, which is already strapped for cash, has vowed a legal challenge to any attempt by Trump to withhold funding.

But the threat to withhold funding is just one of the ways the president’s policies are affecting Chicago.

Organizers of this year’s Cinco de Mayo parade in Pilsen canceled that event because of the administration’s immigration crackdown.

The president’s global tariffs are also taking a bite out of Chicago’s important tourism industry, along with many local businesses.

Copyright © 2025 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
JSO employee arrested for trying to meet minor for sex in St. Johns County

Tragic Discovery: Authorities Investigate Fatal Incident Following Gunfire in Southside Area

Authorities have assured the public that the incident appears to be a…
Apple TV pulls show ahead of premiere over plagiarism accusations

Apple TV Halts Show Launch Amidst Controversy: Plagiarism Allegations Unveiled

The release of the French thriller “The Hunt” on Apple TV has…
Virginia high school football coach goes missing during team's undefeated season

Manhunt Intensifies: Fugitive Football Coach Evades Capture in Woods Armed with Gun

A high school football coach from Virginia, wanted in connection with a…
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Mass shooting at Stockton, California, banquet hall leaves 4 dead, 10 wounded

Tragic Mass Shooting at Stockton Banquet Hall Claims Four Lives, Injures Ten Others

A tragic mass shooting in Stockton, California, on Saturday evening resulted in…
Weather Impact Alert: Freeze warning in place for SE Georgia Saturday with near freezing in Jacksonville

Southeast Georgia Braces for Freeze Warning Saturday; Jacksonville Temperatures Near Freezing

A surge of frigid air ushers in the start of our Thanksgiving…
Ryan Wedding: FBI seizes $13 million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster connected to former Olympian turned alleged drug kingpin

FBI Seizes $13 Million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster Linked to Ex-Olympian and Alleged Drug Kingpin Ryan Wedding

The FBI recently confiscated an incredibly rare car valued at $13 million,…
New White House Media Bias Website Just Turned On the Floodlights

White House Launches Comprehensive Media Bias Website to Illuminate News Reporting

President Donald Trump, at his core, remains a marketing strategist. His sharp…
Afghan National Freed Under Biden Program Arrested After TikTok Bomb Threat in Fort Worth

Controversial Release: Afghan National’s TikTok Bomb Threat Shakes Fort Worth After Biden Program Grant

An Afghan national, who entered the United States through President Biden’s Operation…
Rioters throw trash, garbage cans at ICE vehicles in New York City; multiple arrests

New York City Chaos: Rioters Target ICE Vehicles with Trash Barrage, Prompting Multiple Arrests

Authorities have confirmed that multiple arrests took place on Saturday following an…
James Patterson claims Marilyn Monroe was murdered in explosive new book theory

Unveiling the Mystery: James Patterson’s Bold New Theory on Marilyn Monroe’s Alleged Murder

Renowned author James Patterson has expressed his belief that the iconic Marilyn…
Rangers fail to duplicate road success at MSG, fall to 2-8-1 at home after loss to Lightning

Rangers Struggle to Replicate Road Triumphs at MSG, Suffer 2-8-1 Home Record with Loss to Lightning

By Allan Kreda The New York Rangers are currently leading the NHL…