Health officials track dozens who left hantavirus-stricken ship after 1st fatality

In an alarming turn of events, more than 24 individuals from at least a dozen countries departed a cruise ship plagued by a hantavirus outbreak, without undergoing any contact tracing, nearly two weeks after the first on-board death. This information was confirmed by both the ship’s operator and Dutch officials on Thursday.

Health agencies across four continents are actively working to locate and sometimes monitor these cruise passengers who disembarked on April 24. They are also attempting to trace others who may have interacted with them since their departure.

According to the World Health Organization, the threat to the general public remains minimal. This is because hantavirus, which typically spreads through inhalation of infected rodent droppings, does not easily transmit from person to person.

Dr. Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO’s director of alert and response, stated, “If public health protocols are enforced and countries collaborate, we anticipate this outbreak will remain limited.”

Advocate Health Care Dr. Robert Citronberg discussed hantavirus concerns.

The Dutch health ministry reported that a flight attendant, who briefly shared an aircraft with an infected cruise passenger in South Africa, is exhibiting symptoms of hantavirus. The attendant is undergoing testing in isolation at a hospital in Amsterdam. The infected passenger, a Dutch national, was too unwell to continue the flight and passed away after being deplaned in Johannesburg.

Should the flight attendant test positive, it would mark the first case of hantavirus infection linked to the outbreak involving someone not on board the MV Hondius.

RELATED: What to know about hantavirus, the illness suspected in cruise ship outbreak

Three cruise ship passengers have died in the outbreak, and several others are sick. Symptoms usually show between one and eight weeks after exposure.

None of the remaining passengers or crew on the ship are currently symptomatic, the ship’s operator said.

1st hantavirus case on board was confirmed May 2

Three people, including the ship’s doctor, were evacuated Wednesday while the ship was near the West African island country of Cape Verde and taken to specialized hospitals in Europe for treatment.

The body of the Dutch man who was the first to die on board on April 11 was taken off the ship on the remote South Atlantic island of St. Helena on April 24, when his wife also disembarked. She then flew to South Africa a day later and died there.

Oceanwide Expeditions, the Netherlands-based cruise ship company, said Thursday that 30 passengers left the vessel at St. Helena, while the Dutch Foreign Ministry put the number at about 40. The company had not previously said publicly that dozens more people left the ship on April 24.

It wasn’t until May 2 that health authorities first confirmed hantavirus in a passenger on the ship, the WHO says. That was in a British man evacuated from the ship to South Africa from Ascension Island three days after the St. Helena stop. He was tested in South Africa and is in intensive care there.

Passengers who disembarked April 24 are being monitored

It emerged Wednesday that a man tested positive for hantavirus in Switzerland after he disembarked at St. Helena, though his precise movements in between aren’t clear.

On Thursday, Singaporean health authorities said they were monitoring two men who got off the ship at St. Helena and flew to South Africa and then home. The two men, who arrived in Singapore at different times, were being isolated and tested, officials said. One had a runny nose and the other had no symptoms, Singapore’s Communicable Diseases Agency said.

British health officials say two people who were passengers aboard the ship but flew home midway through the journey are self-isolating but do not have symptoms of illness. The U.K. Health Security Agency said “a small number” of contacts of the two are also self-isolating but are not showing any symptoms. Other contacts are being traced.

Authorities in St. Helena, the remote, volcanic British territory in the South Atlantic where passengers got off, said they were monitoring a small number of people who were considered “higher risk contacts.” Those higher risk contacts were being told to isolate for 45 days, the St. Helena government said.

South Africa is tracing contacts from an April 25 flight

The vessel is now sailing to Spain’s Canary Islands, a voyage that is expected to take three or four days, with more than 140 passengers and crew members still on board.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday that he had been in regular touch with the ship’s captain, and that “morale has improved significantly since the ship started moving again.”

Authorities in South Africa are also trying to trace contacts of any passengers who previously got off the ship. They have focused mainly on an April 25 flight from St. Helena to Johannesburg, the day after passengers disembarked there.

The Dutch woman from the cruise ship who later died in South Africa briefly boarded that flight, officials have said. It’s not known how many other cruise passengers also were among the 88 people on it, but flights from St. Helena go to South Africa and are rare, normally once a week.

The body of the third fatality, a German woman, is also still on board the ship after she died on May 2.

Andes virus is only hantavirus that spreads human-to-human

Tests have confirmed that at least five people who were on the ship were infected with a hantavirus found in South America, called the Andes virus. The only hantavirus thought to spread human-to-human, it can cause a severe and often fatal lung disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.

Argentina’s health ministry said there were 28 deaths from hantavirus last year, up from an average mortality rate of 15 in the five years before that. Nearly a third of cases last year were fatal, it said.

The ship departed from Argentina and investigations into the source of the outbreak are focusing on that country.

Tedros said the couple that presented the first two cases had traveled through Argentina, Chile and Uruguay on a bird-watching trip before boarding the ship. The Dutch couple visited sites where the species of rat that is known to carry Andes virus was present, he said.

Tedros said the WHO is working with health authorities in Argentina to understand their movements, and that the WHO had arranged for shipping 2,500 diagnostic kits from Argentina to laboratories in five countries.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Bronx man accused of attacking Shabbat worshippers admitted motive in recorded interview, feds say

Feds Say Bronx Shabbat Attack Suspect Admitted Motive on Tape

A Bronx resident facing federal hate crime charges after a violent disturbance…
Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation - Internewscast Journal

Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation

The training exercise quickly took a chaotic turn. A Florida sheriff’s office…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
CBP officers seize nearly 850 pounds of khat packed into 12 suitcases after flight from London

CBP Seizes Nearly 850 Pounds of Khat in 12 Suitcases After London Flight

Customs officers at a Maryland airport say they intercepted nearly 850 pounds…
Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds - Internewscast Journal

Schererville Power Outages Stretch Past Week; NIPSCO Responds

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Anger and exhaustion are growing in northwest…
Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget - Internewscast Journal

Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget

As a participant in multiple affiliate marketing programs, Localish may earn a…
Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal - Internewscast Journal

Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal

A surrogate mother who says she rejected a request to end her…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory - Internewscast Journal

Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory

Two Oregon teenagers who were trapped upside down with 26 other riders…