Share this @internewscast.com

One of Australia’s most infamous crime figures walked out of court a free man on Friday when prosecutors decided to drop his last remaining drug charge.

Tony Mokbel, now 60, had been behind bars for nearly 20 years following his dramatic flight to Greece aboard a yacht, which ended with his arrest at an Athens café in 2007.

A beaming Mokbel exited the Supreme Court in Melbourne on Friday, having successfully challenged his drug convictions tied to the notorious Lawyer X scandal.

When approached by the media for his thoughts, Mokbel simply said, “Beautiful. It feels really nice, and life goes on now.”

He expressed his eagerness to travel, stating, “Going overseas, of course,” was what he was most excited about.

Mokbel reflected on his time in prison, sharing, “That would be great, to get on a nice plane. I used to always dream of getting on a plane when I was in jail.”

“That’s probably the biggest mistake of my life … being in jail. I don’t recommend it for no one.”

He was asked if he planned to visit Greece and said: “we’ll see how things flow”.

Mokbel was also questioned about whether he regretted drug trafficking.

“I don’t regret anything,” he replied, before he was followed by a media pack over the road to his lawyer’s office.

A lengthy legal battle

Appeal judges last year ordered he face a retrial over the remaining charge, which related to alleged incitement to import MDMA in 2005.

He had argued his drug convictions were tainted as he was represented by Nicola Gobbo, known initially as Lawyer X before her identity was revealed.

Gobbo had acted as a criminal lawyer for numerous gangland figures, while at the same time acting as a police informer.

The Court of Appeal delivered a split decision in October 2025 on drug trafficking and importation convictions in three of his separate cases — known as Orbital, Magnum and Quills.

Mokbel was acquitted over Quills, ordered to face a retrial on Orbital but lost his appeal on the Magnum brief, the latter relating to his trafficking of methamphetamine between 2006 and 2007.

The appeal court in November sentenced him to time served — 13 years, seven months and 15 days — for the Magnum offending.

Prosecutor David Glynn announced the final Orbital charge had been discontinued in brief hearing on Friday morning.

Tony Mokbel surrounded by a crowd including police and members of the media.
Mokbel was released on bail last year. Source: AAP / JAMES ROSS/AAPIMAGE

“On behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), I filed a discontinuance in relation to the one remaining charge on the indictment against Antonios Sajih Mokbel,” he told the court.

Mokbel had been out of jail since April under strict bail conditions.

Judicial registrar Timothy Freeman discharged Mokbel’s bail undertaking and told him “you are welcome to leave the dock”.

A DPP spokeswoman said the director reached his decision after “careful consideration of all aspects of the matter relevant to the prospects of conviction and the public interest in a retrial”.

This included “the fact that there was no actual importation”, likely ongoing delays to any retrial and the age of the alleged offending.

She said the director also took into account the likely sentence that would be imposed on Mokbel, given his age, health and the lengthy term of imprisonment already served.

Mokbel declined to comment on whether he will be seeking compensation from the state of Victoria for his time in prison.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…