Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign - Internewscast Journal
Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign

A 60-day deadline for the United States and Iran to finalize a diplomatic agreement passed Monday without any breakthrough, as President Donald Trump sharpened his public stance against Tehran and his team signaled a sweeping escalation in economic pressure that Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has called unlike anything previously attempted.

Speaking by phone Monday with Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst, Trump said Iranian leaders “should put up the white flag of surrender.” He added that he was not rushing to secure an agreement and acknowledged that U.S. officials have maintained a direct back channel with members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Under a June memorandum of understanding, Washington and Tehran had agreed to work toward a final accord within 60 days, with the possibility of an extension if both sides agreed. But Reuters reported Monday that the temporary arrangement began falling apart almost immediately amid a clash over control of the Strait of Hormuz. Trump pronounced the deal “over” on July 7, and Iran later said the agreement had been suspended.

With the deadline now lapsed, Trump’s Iran policy faces a defining test: whether the U.S. can use military positioning, maritime pressure and aggressive sanctions to force political concessions from Tehran without returning to direct combat. Before the conflict, about 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments passed through the Strait of Hormuz, meaning any prolonged standoff could ripple far beyond Iran, threatening global energy markets and gasoline prices in the United States.

An Iranian woman shops in a local market in Tehran

An Iranian woman shops at a local market in Tehran, Iran, April 28, 2026. (Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters)

Bessent previewed the next phase during an Aug. 13 appearance on Newsmax, saying more announcements were imminent and that the administration intended to impose measures “like have never been seen in the history of economic isolation of a country.”

In background comments provided to News Outlet, a Treasury spokesperson said the administration’s “Economic Fury” campaign has left Iran’s government increasingly short on cash. The spokesperson argued that the pressure has limited Tehran’s ability to earn and move money, pushing the regime deeper into shadow-banking channels and cryptocurrency networks in an effort to sidestep sanctions.

Iran’s oil exports have already taken a steep hit. The Associated Press reported Aug. 11, citing Treasury data, that average Iranian oil loadings had dropped from 1.8 million barrels per day before the war to under 500,000 barrels per day over the prior month. The AP also pointed to an International Monetary Fund forecast projecting Iran’s economy would shrink by 5.4%.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent speaks with reporters at the White House, Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2025.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent speaks with reporters outside the White House, Wednesday, in Washington, D.C. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Miad Maleki, a former Treasury sanctions analyst and senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, told News Outlet that the pressure is real.

“The numbers are brutal,” Maleki said, citing inflation, the collapsing rial and reduced oil traffic. He described the current campaign as “a maximum pressure campaign on a steroid.”

Reuters reported Monday, citing Iran’s Statistical Centre, that consumer prices in July were 87.9% higher than a year earlier and food prices were up 128%. President Masoud Pezeshkian acknowledged last week that Iran was selling less oil and collecting less tax revenue from struggling businesses.

Ali and Mojtaba Khamenei.

An image of Iran’s late Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (L) and new Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei with replicas of missiles in the background during a gathering to commemorate the death of Imam Reza on August 12, 2026 in Tehran, Iran.  (Photo by Contributor/Getty Images) (Contributor/Getty Images)

Maleki argued that what distinguishes the current campaign from previous rounds of sanctions is the combination of financial restrictions and a physical blockade. “What really started, I would say, as Economic Fury, has now turned into maximum pressure on steroids,” he said, arguing that Tehran is being squeezed not only in its ability to export oil but also in its ability to bring critical goods into the country.

He pointed in particular to Iran’s gasoline deficit and weakening government revenues as vulnerabilities that could become increasingly difficult for the regime to manage. In November 2019, a sharp increase in government-set gasoline prices triggered nationwide demonstrations that rapidly broadened into anti-government protests. Reuters reported at the time that Iranian officials said roughly 200,000 people participated in the unrest, while thousands were arrested.

“The regime is very scared of another 2019,” Maleki said, arguing that Tehran has been reluctant to significantly raise retail fuel prices because of the potential political consequences.

But history also illustrates the limitation of Washington’s strategy: economic pain can bring Iranians into the streets without necessarily forcing the regime itself to concede.

People shop in a local market in Tehran, Iran

People shop in a local market in Tehran, Iran, April 28, 2026. (Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters)

The larger question, Maleki said, is who ultimately absorbs the pain.

Iran’s economic system, he argued, includes powerful foundations and elite networks tied to the IRGC and the supreme leader that were built long before today’s sanctions architecture.

“That elite network has spent about three decades insulating themselves from exactly this kind of pain,” Maleki said. “And historically, the regime always burns the population clock before really having to absorb any of that pressure themselves.”

Maleki said pressure can force “tactical concessions,” but broader concessions depend on whether the financial pain reaches IRGC-linked foundations, oligarchs and regime elites rather than remaining concentrated among ordinary Iranians.

Washington is already near “the ceiling on sanctions with Iran,” he argued, meaning the next phase may depend less on new legal tools than on enforcing existing restrictions against foreign enablers, including Chinese refineries, Hong Kong shell traders, exchange houses, shadow-fleet tankers and cryptocurrency channels.

So far, the pressure has not produced a final deal. Reuters reported Monday that a senior Iranian official threatened military escalation within weeks if Washington does not fully implement the interim agreement.

A view of commercial cargo vessels and crude oil tankers are anchored in the Gulf of Oman, off the coast of Muscat, Oman, on June 21, 2026, as they prepare to transit through the critical Strait of Hormuz. Maritime traffic along this vital global trade corridor experienced severe disruptions following heightened geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran that escalated earlier in February. Following a diplomatic memorandum of understanding reached in mid-June, the strategic waterway is expected to fully reopen to international shipping and energy transit.

A view of commercial cargo vessels and crude oil tankers are anchored in the Gulf of Oman, off the coast of Muscat, Oman, on June 21, 2026, as they prepare to transit through the critical Strait of Hormuz. (Shady Alassar/Anadolu via Getty Images)

“The worst is still ahead for the Iranian regime,” Maleki said, arguing that payment-cycle delays mean the full fiscal impact of reduced oil exports may not be felt until the fall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women - Internewscast Journal

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women

An Oklahoma man has been taken into custody three times in less…
Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment - Internewscast Journal

Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment

Allison Roberts, a Portland, Oregon, mother, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against Portland…
Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault - Internewscast Journal

Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault

An Ohio couple accused of being intoxicated forced their way into a…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video - Internewscast Journal

Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video

A dramatic weather post on social media has quickly ignited widespread reaction…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favoring minority students

DOJ Probes Elite College Over Alleged Bias Favoring Minorities

The Justice Department on Monday opened an investigation into the College of…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
Babysitter Accused of Kidnapping Two Sisters Previously Charged in Newborn Abduction - Internewscast Journal

Babysitter Accused of Kidnapping Two Sisters Previously Charged in Newborn Abduction

A Georgia babysitter is in custody after authorities say she abducted two…
DA: Man Kills 4 People, 3 Dogs in Revenge Attack on Ex’s Family Before Setting Home on Fire - Internewscast Journal

DA: Man Kills 4 People, 3 Dogs in Revenge Attack on Ex’s Family Before Setting Home on Fire

A California man seeking revenge after a breakup waited until his ex-boyfriend’s…
Italy-Spain Border Feud Exposes Europe’s Immigration Crisis - Internewscast Journal

Italy-Spain Border Feud Exposes Europe’s Immigration Crisis

Tensions are deepening between Italy’s right-leaning government and Spain’s left-wing leadership as…
Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — In the weeks before Lindsay Clancy strangled her three…