Israel says Trump’s Middle East visit is the ‘window of opportunity’ for hostage deal
Share this @internewscast.com

A high-ranking Israeli defense official stated on Monday that President Donald Trump’s forthcoming visit to the Middle East presents a “window of opportunity” to negotiate a hostage agreement. Should this opportunity not materialize, Israel is prepared to initiate a new military operation in the Gaza Strip.

The official mentioned that “Operation ‘Gideon Chariots’ will commence with significant force and will continue until all objectives are fulfilled” if no hostage deal is reached, according to a Reuters report. This was in reference to a Sunday night decision by Israel’s security cabinet to escalate actions in the region.

Israel is planning to use the approximately 10-day period to prepare its new operations, which includes mobilizing tens of thousands of reserve soldiers with the aim of gaining control over the entire Gaza Strip.

 

Steve Witkoff and Benjamin Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, left, meets with then-President-elect Donald Trump’s Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff. (Photo by Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)

Comments made by Netanyahu last week sent ceasefire negotiators reeling after he, for the first time, confirmed that returning the hostages taken by Hamas nearly 580 days ago on Oct. 7, 2023 was not his top priority.

“We have many objectives, many goals in this war. We want to bring back all of our hostages,” Netanyahu said. “That is a very important goal. In war, there is a supreme objective. And that supreme objective is victory over our enemies. And that is what we will achieve.”

The Israeli prime minister also on Saturday justified his increasingly aggressive operations in Gaza that have resulted in the death of more than 50,000 in the Gaza Strip, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, including more than 15,600 children as of late-March, as “a war between civilization and barbarism.”

Gaza attacks

The building belonging to the Berbag family was destroyed after an Israeli attack, leaving several Palestinians, including children, dead and wounded in Khan Yunis, Gaza, on Aug. 2, 2024. (Photo by Abed Rahim Khatib/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Qatar, which has been heavily involved in hostage negotiations and ceasefire efforts, responded in a Saturday post on social media and said the comments “fall short of the most basic standards of political and moral responsibility.”

“Portraying the ongoing aggression against Gaza as a defense of ‘civilization’ echoes the rhetoric of regimes throughout history that have used false narratives to justify crimes against innocent civilians,” said Majed Al Ansari, advisor to Qatar Prime Minister Mohammad Al-Thani and spokesman for the foreign ministry. 

Ansari did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s questions. 

Fox News’ Yael Rotem-Kuriel contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

Homeland Security Halts TSA PreCheck and Global Entry: What Travelers Need to Know

As the partial government shutdown drags on, the US Department of Homeland…
NYC Council bill would prevent 'young people' from getting arrested

New NYC Council Bill Aims to Shield Youth from Arrest: A Game-Changer for Juvenile Justice

In a bold move that is raising eyebrows across New York City,…
Rev. Jesse Jackson death: Memorial grows outside Rainbow PUSH headquarters in Kenwood, Chicago; forum to honor civil rights icon

Memorial for Rev. Jesse Jackson Expands at Rainbow PUSH Headquarters in Chicago’s Kenwood; Forum Planned to Commemorate Civil Rights Leader

CHICAGO — Faith leaders are set to honor the late Rev. Jesse…
FBI investigates criminal damage to federal ICE warehouse facility in Arizona

FBI Probes Vandalism at Arizona ICE Facility: What You Need to Know

An early morning incident at a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)…
NTSB investigating after 4 killed in fiery Long Beach car crash

NTSB Launches Investigation Following Fatal Long Beach Car Crash That Claims Four Lives

Authorities are set to investigate a devastating car accident in Long Beach…
Arizona couple found bloodied black glove, blood on rock in desert mile from Nancy Guthrie home

Arizona Couple Discovers Mysterious Blood-Stained Glove and Rock Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home

An Arizona couple claims to have discovered a pair of blood-stained gloves…
JPMorgan admits it shuttered Trump's accounts following Jan. 6 Capitol riot

JPMorgan Cuts Ties with Trump: The Impact of January 6th on Financial Relationships

In a notable revelation, JPMorgan Chase has, for the first time, confirmed…
Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump weighs potential Iran strike decision

Israelis Maintain Readiness as Trump Considers Possible Military Action Against Iran

For over a month, Michal Weits has kept suitcases ready by the…
JPMorgan Admits to Closing Over 50 Trump Bank Accounts

JPMorgan’s Bold Move: Over 50 Trump Accounts Closed – What It Means for the Banking Giant

JPMorgan Chase has acknowledged shutting down over 50 bank accounts associated with…
Kanye West and Bianca Censori warned to 'dress appropriately' for Malibu mansion court case: Report

Kanye West and Bianca Censori Advised on Dress Code for Upcoming Malibu Court Appearance

In a recent court directive, a judge has subtly reminded Kanye West…
Kristian Winfield: Knicks on-off switch tendencies not good for playoff outlook

Kristian Winfield Analyzes Knicks’ Inconsistent Performance and Its Impact on Playoff Prospects

As the calendar flips to a new year, the Knicks continue to…
From actress to activist, Tara Grammy is sharing the horror of Iranian protesters as they plead with the world for help

Actress Turned Activist Tara Grammy Amplifies Iranian Protesters’ Cries for Global Support

Last Saturday, armed forces affiliated with Iran’s Islamic Republic forcibly removed a…