Jennifer Love Hewitt has ‘not talked’ to Sarah Michelle Gellar since age 18
Share this @internewscast.com

Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar haven’t talked in many summers.

The 46-year-old actress recently shared that she hasn’t stayed in contact with her “I Know What You Did Last Summer” co-star, who is now 48, since they appeared together in the 1997 horror film.

“Honestly, I don’t even understand where the rumors or their origins stemmed from,” Hewitt commented regarding the speculated conflict between her and Gellar. “It seems like people don’t want the story to be straightforward. Why do we always have to be portrayed as rivals and adversaries?”

“I haven’t seen Sarah,” she clarified. “Literally, we haven’t spoken since I last saw her when I was 18, back when the movie first released. That’s why the speculation is so amusing to me. People prompting me to ‘respond to it.’ I’m just thinking, ‘What do I say? I haven’t seen her.’ From my perspective, everything’s fine. I have no clue why these rumors began.”

Hewitt portrayed Julie James in the 1997 movie and the 2025 version. In the original “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” Gellar played Helen Shivers, the beauty queen who was murdered.

Ryan Phillippe starred as Barry William Cox, who was also killed the first time around, while Gellar’s husband, Freddie Prinze Jr., reprised his role as Ray Bronson in the sequel.

Gellar also addressed rumors of bad blood after she and Hewitt didn’t pose together for pictures on the red carpet of the sequel’s premiere Monday night.

“For everyone asking — I never got to see @jenniferlovehewitt, who is fantastic in the movie. I was inside with my kids when the big carpet happened. And unfortunately, JLH didn’t come to the after-party,” the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” star commented on Instagram Wednesday.

“If you have ever been to one of these, it’s crazy,” continued Gellar. “I sadly didn’t get pics with most of the cast. But that doesn’t change how amazing I think they all are. Unfortunately, some things happen only in real life and not online.”

While on the carpet, Gellar posed for pictures with her husband of 23 years and her former “Buffy” co-star, Seth Green.

The “Ringer” alum also snapped pictures with the film’s director, Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, and the slasher’s new star, Madelyn Cline.

“What a night!!! Still can’t believe …… years later (no need to date myself) I got to walk the red carpet at another premiere of @ikwydlsmovie,” Gellar captioned her original Instagram post. “Still starring the most handsome man I know @realfreddieprinze, but this time directed by my best friend @jennkaytin and written by Jenn and @samlansky I love this movie sooooo much and this cast!! Now for the important thank you’s @justinemarjan @kmannmakeup @jamielevin_ @taraswennen @oscardelarenta @fernandogarciam1205 @margosiegelpr @lesilla @effyjewelry @guitam_jewelry @lateliernawbar @selimmouzannar for this look I’ll never forget.”

Hewitt had previously addressed the online chatter in December.

“I just heard that there’s this whole thing where they think that Sarah and I were fighting or something. There’s all these things out there,” she said on Tommy DiDario’s â€œI’ve Never Said This Before” podcast.

“I’ve really enjoyed going and trying to read the stuff now and be like, ‘What are people saying about when we did the movie before, now, all of that stuff?’” Hewitt continued. “Somebody the other day was like, ‘Yeah, I think Julie made sure that she was killed because girl actresses don’t like to work with girl actresses.’ I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’”

“I was 18,” the “Party of Five” alum said. “They were not taking script notes from me guys. Like what are you talking about?”

That same month, Gellar was asked if Hewitt would return for the “I Know What You Did Last Summer” sequel.

“I have nothing to do with that,” she responded before walking away from the interviewer. Gellar later clarified the situation on her Instagram Stories.

“Aspiring actors please note: This ‘deer in the headlights’ reaction is perfect for when you are excited to see so many old friends in one project but have already stupidly forgotten what NDA means once this month,” she wrote beneath a photo from the film’s set.

“I Know What You Did Last Summer” holds a special spot in Gellar’s heart, as she met Prinze Jr., 49, while filming the slasher, but the two didn’t start dating until 2000.

In October 1997, the duo walked the carpet for the original horror movie at the GCC Galaxy Theatre in Hollywood, Calif.

That night, Gellar, Prinze Jr. and Hewitt posed for pictures together, as well.

The 1997 Kevin Williamson-written film followed a group of four friends who accidentally kill a man. One year later, they’re stalked by a hook-wielding killer.

In 1998, the follow-up film, “I Still Know What You Did Last Summer,” was released.

Now, Hewitt and Prinze came back to the horror franchise to star in the 2025 remake that follows five friends who “inadvertently cause a deadly car accident” before they “cover up their involvement and make a pact to keep it a secret rather than face the consequences,” per Sony Pictures.

At Monday’s premiere, the “Scooby-Doo” actor spoke about Gellar still being a part of the new film in some capacity.

“We’ve all seen it, yeah. We’re really proud of the movie. She saw it before I did,” Prinze told People. “I wasn’t able to go to the first screening, so all I had was a bunch of questions, like, ‘Did I suck? How was it?’”

“She’s like, ‘No, you did great. The movie’s great. Everybody’s going to love it,’” he said of his partner’s reaction. “So hopefully they do.”

Prinze Jr. also addressed her character’s iconic death in the franchise.

“People love that character so much, and I genuinely mean this: I think it’s one of the best death scenes in the history of horror films. Because it showcased hope more effectively than any of its peers, more effectively than any horror film I can remember. And I’ve seen almost all of them,” he said. “So yeah, man, to get to be here with her again is awesome, because she’s always going to be a part of that.”

Joining Prinze Jr., Hewitt and Cline, 27, in the sequel are Chase Sui Wonders, Jonah Hauer-King, Tyriq Withers and Sarah Pidgeon.

Prinze Jr. said the new group “earned the baton.”

“I didn’t have to pass anything,” he admitted to “Good Morning America” on the carpet. “They’re so much better than I was at their age. It’s not even funny. I love this cast so much, I respect their work so much, and it was a pleasure to get to work with them.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
Pittsburgh Pirates legend Bill Mazeroski dies at age 89

Baseball Icon and Pittsburgh Pirates Legend Bill Mazeroski Passes Away at 89

Bill Mazeroski, forever immortalized for delivering the most iconic home run in…
Ohio high schoolers invade Kroger store during anti ICE walkout in Cincinnati

Ohio Students Stage Demonstration at Kroger Amid Anti-ICE Walkout in Cincinnati

A viral video captured a chaotic scene as students stormed a Cincinnati…
Hamas appears to renege on Trump's peace plan in Gaza -- tells international board to stay out of our 'affairs'

Hamas Rejects Trump’s Peace Proposal: Calls for International Non-Interference in Gaza Affairs

Hamas has signaled its reluctance to embrace a US-brokered peace initiative for…
Did US speedskater Jordan Stolz win his third gold medal at the 2026 Olympics?

US Speedskater Jordan Stolz Clinches Third Gold Medal at 2026 Olympics

American speedskater Jordan Stolz took to the ice one last time at…
New Jersey family desparately seeking kidney donor as 14-year-old son's health worsens

New Jersey Family Urgently Searches for Kidney Donor to Save 14-Year-Old Son’s Life

A family in New Jersey is urgently searching for a living kidney…
Gavin Newsom wants teens banned from social media

California Governor Gavin Newsom Proposes Groundbreaking Ban on Teen Social Media Usage to Boost Youth Well-being

California Governor Gavin Newsom has voiced support for banning social media access…
Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

Report Suggests US Military Strikes on Iran May Focus on Key Figures and Regime Change

Recent reports suggest that the United States is contemplating military actions against…
Virginia attorney James Hundley swiftly fired by Justice Department

Virginia Attorney James Hundley Dismissed by Justice Department: Uncover the Reasons Behind the Swift Decision

A lawyer appointed by judges to serve as the chief federal prosecutor…
Democrats giddy over Trump Supreme Court tariff ruling -- plan to use it against Republicans in midterm elections

Democrats Seize Opportunity: How Trump’s Supreme Court Tariff Ruling Could Tip the Scales in Midterms

Democrats are jubilant following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn President Trump’s…
Horrifying video shows snow engulfed huts where skiers stayed before deadly avalanche

Chilling Footage Reveals Snow-Covered Cabins Where Skiers Resided Prior to Fatal Avalanche

Chilling new footage has emerged, revealing the lodges where a group of…
ICE arrests illegal immigrants convicted of child rape, sexual assault, drug trafficking

ICE Cracks Down: Arrests of Convicted Child Rapists, Sexual Assailants, and Drug Traffickers Highlight National Security Efforts

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) made a significant announcement on Friday,…