Jennifer Love Hewitt has ‘not talked’ to Sarah Michelle Gellar since age 18

Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar Haven’t Communicated Since They Were 18

Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar haven’t talked in many summers.

The 46-year-old actress recently shared that she hasn’t stayed in contact with her “I Know What You Did Last Summer” co-star, who is now 48, since they appeared together in the 1997 horror film.

“Honestly, I don’t even understand where the rumors or their origins stemmed from,” Hewitt commented regarding the speculated conflict between her and Gellar. “It seems like people don’t want the story to be straightforward. Why do we always have to be portrayed as rivals and adversaries?”

“I haven’t seen Sarah,” she clarified. “Literally, we haven’t spoken since I last saw her when I was 18, back when the movie first released. That’s why the speculation is so amusing to me. People prompting me to ‘respond to it.’ I’m just thinking, ‘What do I say? I haven’t seen her.’ From my perspective, everything’s fine. I have no clue why these rumors began.”

Hewitt portrayed Julie James in the 1997 movie and the 2025 version. In the original “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” Gellar played Helen Shivers, the beauty queen who was murdered.

Ryan Phillippe starred as Barry William Cox, who was also killed the first time around, while Gellar’s husband, Freddie Prinze Jr., reprised his role as Ray Bronson in the sequel.

Gellar also addressed rumors of bad blood after she and Hewitt didn’t pose together for pictures on the red carpet of the sequel’s premiere Monday night.

“For everyone asking — I never got to see @jenniferlovehewitt, who is fantastic in the movie. I was inside with my kids when the big carpet happened. And unfortunately, JLH didn’t come to the after-party,” the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” star commented on Instagram Wednesday.

“If you have ever been to one of these, it’s crazy,” continued Gellar. “I sadly didn’t get pics with most of the cast. But that doesn’t change how amazing I think they all are. Unfortunately, some things happen only in real life and not online.”

While on the carpet, Gellar posed for pictures with her husband of 23 years and her former “Buffy” co-star, Seth Green.

The “Ringer” alum also snapped pictures with the film’s director, Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, and the slasher’s new star, Madelyn Cline.

“What a night!!! Still can’t believe …… years later (no need to date myself) I got to walk the red carpet at another premiere of @ikwydlsmovie,” Gellar captioned her original Instagram post. “Still starring the most handsome man I know @realfreddieprinze, but this time directed by my best friend @jennkaytin and written by Jenn and @samlansky I love this movie sooooo much and this cast!! Now for the important thank you’s @justinemarjan @kmannmakeup @jamielevin_ @taraswennen @oscardelarenta @fernandogarciam1205 @margosiegelpr @lesilla @effyjewelry @guitam_jewelry @lateliernawbar @selimmouzannar for this look I’ll never forget.”

Hewitt had previously addressed the online chatter in December.

“I just heard that there’s this whole thing where they think that Sarah and I were fighting or something. There’s all these things out there,” she said on Tommy DiDario’s â€œI’ve Never Said This Before” podcast.

“I’ve really enjoyed going and trying to read the stuff now and be like, ‘What are people saying about when we did the movie before, now, all of that stuff?’” Hewitt continued. “Somebody the other day was like, ‘Yeah, I think Julie made sure that she was killed because girl actresses don’t like to work with girl actresses.’ I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’”

“I was 18,” the “Party of Five” alum said. “They were not taking script notes from me guys. Like what are you talking about?”

That same month, Gellar was asked if Hewitt would return for the “I Know What You Did Last Summer” sequel.

“I have nothing to do with that,” she responded before walking away from the interviewer. Gellar later clarified the situation on her Instagram Stories.

“Aspiring actors please note: This ‘deer in the headlights’ reaction is perfect for when you are excited to see so many old friends in one project but have already stupidly forgotten what NDA means once this month,” she wrote beneath a photo from the film’s set.

“I Know What You Did Last Summer” holds a special spot in Gellar’s heart, as she met Prinze Jr., 49, while filming the slasher, but the two didn’t start dating until 2000.

In October 1997, the duo walked the carpet for the original horror movie at the GCC Galaxy Theatre in Hollywood, Calif.

That night, Gellar, Prinze Jr. and Hewitt posed for pictures together, as well.

The 1997 Kevin Williamson-written film followed a group of four friends who accidentally kill a man. One year later, they’re stalked by a hook-wielding killer.

In 1998, the follow-up film, “I Still Know What You Did Last Summer,” was released.

Now, Hewitt and Prinze came back to the horror franchise to star in the 2025 remake that follows five friends who “inadvertently cause a deadly car accident” before they “cover up their involvement and make a pact to keep it a secret rather than face the consequences,” per Sony Pictures.

At Monday’s premiere, the “Scooby-Doo” actor spoke about Gellar still being a part of the new film in some capacity.

“We’ve all seen it, yeah. We’re really proud of the movie. She saw it before I did,” Prinze told People. “I wasn’t able to go to the first screening, so all I had was a bunch of questions, like, ‘Did I suck? How was it?’”

“She’s like, ‘No, you did great. The movie’s great. Everybody’s going to love it,’” he said of his partner’s reaction. “So hopefully they do.”

Prinze Jr. also addressed her character’s iconic death in the franchise.

“People love that character so much, and I genuinely mean this: I think it’s one of the best death scenes in the history of horror films. Because it showcased hope more effectively than any of its peers, more effectively than any horror film I can remember. And I’ve seen almost all of them,” he said. “So yeah, man, to get to be here with her again is awesome, because she’s always going to be a part of that.”

Joining Prinze Jr., Hewitt and Cline, 27, in the sequel are Chase Sui Wonders, Jonah Hauer-King, Tyriq Withers and Sarah Pidgeon.

Prinze Jr. said the new group “earned the baton.”

“I didn’t have to pass anything,” he admitted to “Good Morning America” on the carpet. “They’re so much better than I was at their age. It’s not even funny. I love this cast so much, I respect their work so much, and it was a pleasure to get to work with them.”

You May Also Like

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents…
Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts - Internewscast Journal

Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts

A late-night crackdown on an alleged Long Island street takeover ended with…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer

A determined Kentucky farmer who proudly describes herself as a “country hick”…
De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake - Internewscast Journal

De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake

BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella has appealed to…
Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say

A 19-year-old Virginia woman is facing an involuntary manslaughter charge after a…
Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate - Internewscast Journal

Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate

Two landmark vessels — one of them pictured on Maine’s state quarter…
Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4 - Internewscast Journal

Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4

One person was fatally shot and four others were wounded Saturday during…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War - Internewscast Journal

Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War

Iran fires missiles toward US-UK military base President Trump’s warning that he…
Hayden Panettiere Death Claim: What to Know About the Scream Star - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere Death Claim: What to Know About the Scream Star

Hayden Panettiere, the actress known to audiences for her work in the…
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…