Share this @internewscast.com
JOLIET, Ill. (WLS) — A man was detained after allegedly firing a gun into the air, leading to a shelter-in-place directive in Joliet on Friday afternoon, according to police.
Travoccia W. Dillard, a 25-year-old Joliet man, is charged with Reckless Discharge of a Firearm in connection with the incident.
ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch
Joliet police were dispatched to the 900 block of Ann Street around 1:30 p.m. following a report of gunfire into the air, as stated by the police. Area residents were alerted with a reverse 911 call to remain indoors.
Police said another Joliet resident, who was visiting someone in the area, had been involved in a social media dispute with Dillard.
Dillard allegedly took a gun out of his home and fired a shot into the air before heading back inside and changing his clothes, police said.
Responding officers called Dillard out of the home, and he came out with his girlfriend while holding his infant child.
Dillard was taken into custody and transported to the Joliet Police Department, where he denied firing the gun, investigators said.
By approximately 3 p.m., police announced the area was secure, allowing the shelter-in-place order to be lifted. Schools were instructed to postpone dismissal during the situation.
No one was injured, and it is not clear if there was any property damage, police said.
Anyone with information or video of the incident is asked to call the Joliet Investigations Division at (815) 724-3020.
Those wishing to remain anonymous can call Will County Crime Stoppers at 800-323-6734 or visit https://crimestoppersofwillcounty.org
Copyright © 2025 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.