Judge denies Trump's 'fishing expedition' to subpoena Jan. 6 committee records

WASHINGTON — A federal judge overseeing President Donald Trump’s upcoming election interference trial said in a ruling Monday that the former president’s attempt to subpoena what his legal team dubbed “missing” records from the House Jan. 6 committee appeared to be a “fishing expedition” that was not in good faith.

Last month, Trump’s team said they wanted to subpoena the U.S. archivist, the clerk of the House of Representatives, the Committee on House Administration, Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga., and Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., among others, saying there was a “significant overlap between the Select Committee’s investigation and this case” and a strong likelihood that some of the materials would discuss trial witnesses.

U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan, who will oversee Trump’s trial that is set to get underway in March, said in a ruling on Monday that she would not require federal government officials to produce records related to the Jan. 6 committee’s work.

“The broad scope of the records that Defendant seeks, and his vague description of their potential relevance, resemble less ‘a good faith effort to obtain identified evidence’ than they do ‘a general ‘fishing expedition,'” she wrote.

Before the Jan. 6 committee was dissolved in January, Thompson, who was the chairman, turned over troughs of the panel’s records to the U.S. archives and posted thousands of pages online, including transcripts with people who spoke to the committee.

Loudermilk, a Republican on the House Administration Committee, wrote in an earlier letter that only written transcripts were transferred after the Jan. 6 committee dissolved and that “video recordings of transcribed interviews and depositions, which featured prominently during the Select Committee’s hearings, were not archived or transferred.”

The federal election interference trial is one of four criminal cases brought against the former president and one of two brought by the special counsel, Jack Smith. The case will likely be the first to go to trial, with jury selection scheduled to begin on March 4. In addition to Trump, about 1,200 people have been charged in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, with hundreds more cases in the works.

Trump was accused in an indictment returned by a grand jury in August of conspiring “to overturn the legitimate results of the 2020 presidential election by using knowingly false claims of election fraud to obstruct the government function by which those results are collected, counted and certified.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview

Marc Jacobs says he would not rule out dressing Luigi Mangione for…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts - Internewscast Journal

Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts

A Colorado elementary school teacher was discovered dead inside her Lakewood home,…
Illegal immigrant accused of operating overcrowded boat that capsized near Liberty Island arrested by ICE

ICE Arrests Illegal Immigrant Accused in Liberty Island Capsize

Woman, baby dead after boat overturns in NY harbor A 27-year-old woman…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Harvard Reaches $53M Settlement With Families Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Sold on Black Market - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Reaches $53M Settlement With Families Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Sold on Black Market

Harvard University has reached a proposed $53 million settlement with families who…
Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Invasive Joro Spiders Are Spreading Again: What to Do - Internewscast Journal

Invasive Joro Spiders Are Spreading Again: What to Do

The oversized, striking Joro spider — known for spinning enormous webs and…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ - Internewscast Journal

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ

A century-old firehouse has been extinguished. A New Jersey fire department that…