Hundreds detained as part of federal immigration 'Operation Midway Blitz' ordered released on bond, judge says
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO (WLS) — A federal judge has decided to grant bond to as many as 615 migrants detained in the Chicago region, following arrests made under the Department of Homeland Security’s “Operation Midway Blitz.” This release is expected to occur by November 19.

Judge Jeffrey Cummings ruled in favor of attorneys defending the detainees, who argued that the Department of Homeland Security breached a consent decree restricting federal agents from making arrests without warrants. The judge directed the Trump administration to disclose information regarding how many of the 615 individuals involved in the lawsuit remain in the United States or have criminal backgrounds.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Migrants with criminal histories who pose a threat to public safety will not qualify for release. Those who are eligible may be supervised through alternative methods, such as wearing ankle monitors.

The American Civil Liberties Union informed ABC News that the judge also mandated the release of an additional 13 migrants within two days, who will not be required to wear ankle monitors.

This consent decree, effective until February 2026, applies to Illinois and five neighboring states. It generally prohibits federal immigration officials from conducting warrantless arrests unless there is reason to believe that the individual has committed a crime and might evade capture.

In response, the Department of Homeland Security expressed on social media that the judge’s order compromises the safety of Americans.

“At every turn activist judges, sanctuary politicians, and violent rioters have actively tried to prevent our law enforcement officers from arresting and removing the worst of the worst. Now an ACTIVIST JUDGE is putting the lives of Americans directly at risk by ordering 615 illegal aliens be released into the community,” DHS said.

Last month, Judge Cummings ruled agents had violated a previously agreed-upon consent decree over warrantless arrests in the Chicago area known as the 2022 Castañon Nava settlement.

Since that ruling, attorneys on both sides of the case have been working to identify how many people arrested by immigration agents this year violated the previously agreed-upon consent decree.

Mark Fleming of the National Immigrant Justice Center believes cases like these are happening daily.

“As we’re digging into it, we are very concerned that many, if not most [of ICE arrests], are violations of our consent decree,” Fleming told the I-Team.

Fleming said so far, the list of people arrested in violation of the consent decree has grown to more than 3,000 people.

“Our initial analysis is that it’s over 3,000 arrests,” Fleming told the I-Team. “We’ve started to dig into the case file that they produced to us, and the vast majority are violations. If they did not have a prior order of removal, in almost all circumstances, they’ve been uniformly violating the consent decree.”

So far, Fleming said that ICE has produced a list of 3,800 people, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Border Patrol has given a list of 1,200 people, but he stressed that there may be duplicate entries on both lists, so his team does not have a solid total figure yet. Also, those lists were only through the beginning of October, and do not include arrests in the last month.

Attorneys representing the Department of Homeland Security have argued that Congress stripped federal courts of their authority to grant parole to large groups of immigrants in ICE custody.

In their filings, government attorneys argue, “Congress has vested the authority to grant parole solely with the Secretary of Homeland Security… Federal courts cannot order the Department of Homeland Security to release any aliens on parole because Congress has stripped them of that authority.”

In their review of people arrested by agents potentially in violation of the consent decree, Fleming said more than 1,000 people are no longer in the U.S., meaning they may have been deported already after signing voluntary removal orders.

“A lot of these folks have never had any interaction with law enforcement before, nor been subject to detention, and so it’s horrifying,” Fleming explained.

Fleming continued, “What we’ve raised to the court is if you don’t provide this interim relief, there will be no one left. At the end of this, we may find thousands of violations, but there may be no one left.”

ABC News contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

Department of Homeland Security Temporarily Halts TSA PreCheck and Global Entry Programs

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has announced the suspension of the…
Hamas appears to renege on Trump's peace plan in Gaza -- tells international board to stay out of our 'affairs'

Hamas Rejects Trump’s Peace Proposal: Calls for International Non-Interference in Gaza Affairs

Hamas has signaled its reluctance to embrace a US-brokered peace initiative for…
Mamdani blasted for requiring 5 forms of ID to shovel while DSA opposes Voter ID

Controversy Erupts as Mamdani Demands 5 Forms of ID for Shoveling Amid DSA’s Voter ID Opposition

New York City is experiencing a flurry of regulations with a touch…
Pittsburgh Pirates legend Bill Mazeroski dies at age 89

Beloved Pittsburgh Pirates Icon Bill Mazeroski Passes Away at 89

Bill Mazeroski, who etched his name in baseball lore with an iconic…
Adorable pup ditched at Las Vegas airport by heartless traveler gets new home with cop who rescued him

Abandoned Puppy at Las Vegas Airport Finds Forever Home with Rescuing Officer

A heartwarming story has emerged from Las Vegas’ Harry Reid International Airport,…
US Air Force's Richard Ramroop, husband allegedly stole $3M from government to fund lavish lifestyle, luxury cars and mansion

US Air Force Officer and Spouse Accused of $3M Fraud Scheme to Fund Opulent Lifestyle

An Air Force pharmacist from the United States and his spouse are…
Warren: Trump Used Tariffs 'Like a Mafia Shakedown'

Warren Accuses Trump of Employing Tariff Tactics Similar to Mafia Shakedowns

In a recent appearance on MS NOW’s “The Briefing,” Senator Elizabeth Warren…
US military carries out another alleged drug boat strike in eastern Pacific Ocean, killing 3

US Military Conducts Alleged Drug Boat Operation in Eastern Pacific, Resulting in Three Fatalities

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military announced on Friday that it has conducted…
China reportedly developing 'new generation' of nuclear weapons -- and conducted a top secret test this month

China Advances Development of ‘Next-Generation’ Nuclear Weapons with Recent Confidential Test

U.S. intelligence agencies are raising concerns over China’s efforts to develop a…
Gurnee Woodland Elementary School teacher Todd Fowler charged with disseminating child pornography, Lake County Sheriff says

Tragic I-65 Collision: Rylee Hanson Killed, Two Injured in Merrillville Wrong-Way Crash

In a tragic turn of events early Saturday morning, a wrong-way collision…
Trump raising global tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court defeat

Trump Announces 15% Global Tariff Boost Following Supreme Court Ruling

President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he plans to elevate global…
Avalanches in Utah kill 11-year-old girl, father snowmobiling with son in state's first 2 fatalities of season

Tragic Avalanches in Utah Claim Lives of Father and 11-Year-Old Daughter, Marking State’s First Fatalities of the Season

Tragedy struck in Utah this week as two separate avalanches claimed the…