Judge voids Trump's $100,000 fee for new H-1B visas

Washington — On Monday, a federal judge struck down a policy introduced by President Trump that imposed a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visas for high-skilled foreign workers, declaring it unlawful.

U.S. District Judge Leo Sorokin ruled in favor of 20 states that contested the fee, which was announced by Mr. Trump in September. Judge Sorokin determined that the Trump administration exceeded its authority by implementing this significant fee on H-1B visa applications without Congressional approval.

“The nature and implementation of the $100,000 payment clearly categorize it as a tax, no matter the label it bears,” Sorokin stated in his 42-page decision.

Sorokin, appointed by former President Barack Obama, highlighted that “there are no statutory authorities granting [the Trump administration] the right to enforce a $100,000 tax on H-1B petitions.”

The Department of Homeland Security criticized Sorokin’s ruling as “blatant judicial activism” and stood by the Trump administration’s immigration policy changes.

“The recent modifications to the H-1B visa program, including the elevated fee, were designed to tackle issues concerning program integrity and its effects on the U.S. workforce,” the department stated. “The policy seeks to ensure employers give precedence to U.S. workers, especially in high-skill sectors. The Trump Administration continues to be dedicated to protecting job opportunities for American workers and upholding the integrity of employment-based visa programs.”

The H-1B visa program was created by Congress in 1990 and allows U.S.-based companies to temporarily hire foreign workers in a specialty occupation for up to six years. Congress capped the number of H-1B visas at 65,000 per year. Another 20,000 of the visas can be issued for people with advanced degrees. Under the program, employers are also required to pay certain fees, typically ranging between $1,700 to $4,500.

But last year, Mr. Trump signed a proclamation that added a $100,000 payment to all new H-1B applications. The president argued the H-1B visa program “has been deliberately exploited to replace, rather than supplement, American workers with lower-paid, lower-skilled labor,” which he said had “undermined both our economic and national security.”

The Trump administration moved swiftly to implement his proclamation. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said in October the $100,000 fee applied to new applications filed on or after Sept. 21, just two days after Mr. Trump announced the new policy. The agency clarified that the fee would only apply to new applicants living abroad, and not renewals.

The coalition of states, led by California, filed their lawsuit challenging the fee in December and alleged that the new policy was unlawful. The states warned that the $100,000 fee would hamper their ability to hire high-skilled workers in several areas, including at primary and secondary schools, in public colleges and universities, and at medical facilities.

In his decision, Sorokin found that Mr. Trump had no power or authorization from Congress to impose a tax on H-1B applications. He said the record in the case lacked any indication that the Trump administration “reasonably explained” the decision to implement the $100,000 fee, and found that none of the policy rationales from federal agencies “offer a reasonable explanation for enacting a heavy tax on the H-1B program.” 

He ordered the required visa payment to be set aside in its entirety, relief that is allowed under a federal law called the Administrative Procedure Act.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol - Internewscast Journal

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol

An ISIS-inspired suspect has been arrested after allegedly planning a deadly assault…
LA County releases claim about number of Hollywood jobs to go under Paramount-Warner Bros. merger

LA County Estimates Hollywood Job Loss in Paramount-Warner Merger

More than 10,000 jobs could be at risk if the proposed Paramount…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open - Internewscast Journal

1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open

About 1,500 mink broke loose from an Oregon farm after someone cut…
Over 100 Boxes of Stolen LEGO Found in Barstow Desert Van - Internewscast Journal

Over 100 Boxes of Stolen LEGO Found in Barstow Desert Van

Investigators in California are working to determine how more than $28,000 worth…
Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old

A Southern California family is grieving the devastating loss of their 8-year-old…
Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts - Internewscast Journal

Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts

A Colorado elementary school teacher was discovered dead inside her Lakewood home,…
Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…