Jussie Smollett speaks out after reaching civil settlement with city of Chicago in alleged Streeterville hate crime false report

CHICAGO — Jussie Smollett is voicing his perspective following a settlement with Chicago in a civil lawsuit concerning the city’s attempt to recoup expenses from investigating a 2019 incident described by authorities as a fabricated hate crime. Smollett has consistently claimed his innocence.

Smollett addressed the resolution in a public statement shared Friday on Instagram.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

“More than six years ago, after reports surfaced that I had been attacked, Chicago officials endeavored to persuade the public that I orchestrated an assault against myself. This misleading narrative has tarnished my reputation in an enduring way,” he expressed.

He continued, “These officials were interested in my money and sought a confession for something I did not commit. Today, it is evident… They have obtained neither.”

Smollett said his decision to settle “was not the most difficult one to make,” explaining, “I was presented with an opportunity to make a charitable donation in exchange for the case being dismissed.”

Calling Chicago his former home, he noted, “Making a donation to benefit Chicago communities that are too often neglected by those in power will always be something I support.”

Smollett also announced a separate $10,000 donation to the Chicago Torture Justice Center, writing, “To anyone who has had to prove they have in fact been violated, you know how difficult this can be to navigate. I stand with and for you.”

In March 2019, Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bond to the city and agreed to perform 16 hours of community service as part of a separate agreement to drop all criminal charges related to the alleged false report, according to then-Cook County first assistant state attorney Joe Magats.

The city filed a lawsuit in 2019 over $130,000, which the Chicago Police Department said it had spent investigating the actor’s claims that he had been attacked in a racially and politically motivated incident.

In November 2019, Smollett filed a counter lawsuit against the city of Chicago, claiming that authorities “maliciously” prosecuted him “in bad faith” and filed criminal charges against him “without probable cause.”

The counter lawsuit was filed in response to a lawsuit the city filed against Smollett in April, requesting $130,000 in civil penalties, damages and attorney’s fees and costs arising from Smollett’s alleged “false statements.”

Two brothers — Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo — later claimed that Smollett paid them $3,500 to help him orchestrate and stage the crime after Smollett allegedly became upset that a letter threatening him, sent to the Fox studio where the television series “Empire” was filmed, did not get enough attention, according to police.

Police later accused Smollett of writing the letter. The brothers were not charged.

As part of the new settlement agreement, Smollett will donate $50,000 to Building Brighter Futures Center for the Arts, a local nonprofit serving underprivileged youth in Chicago through arts and education programming.

The donation was made in exchange for the dismissal of the city’s lawsuit against Smollett, according to a statement released Thursday by the city’s Department of Law.

In an official statement, the department said, “The City believes this settlement provides a fair, constructive, and conclusive resolution, allowing all the parties to close this six-year-old chapter and move forward.”

Copyright © 2025 ABC News Internet Ventures.

You May Also Like

Zymire Hughes, Chucky Mask Stalking Suspect, May Be in California - Internewscast Journal

Zymire Hughes, Chucky Mask Stalking Suspect, May Be in California

Philadelphia police say a man accused of wearing a Chucky doll mask…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…
San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground - Internewscast Journal

San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground

North Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore was temporarily closed Saturday after…
John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police - Internewscast Journal

John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police

Retired NYPD Chief of Department John Chell, once the department’s top uniformed…
NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory - Internewscast Journal

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory

This one came down to the wire. Vincent Iwuchukwu, the pro basketball…
Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring

14 arrested in Penn State cocaine ring scandal Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave…
New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors - Internewscast Journal

New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors

A proposed Costco, fuel station and cluster of restaurants could transform a…
Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash - Internewscast Journal

Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday signed the disputed “Stop Nick Shirley…
Education Secretary Linda McMahon Says 1 in 10 Children Face Sexual Abuse Before Graduation - Internewscast Journal

Education Secretary Linda McMahon Says 1 in 10 Children Face Sexual Abuse Before Graduation

WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Linda McMahon said Sunday that federal education officials…
Ohio Doctor Killed in Alleged Plot by Teen Daughter After Fight - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Doctor Killed in Alleged Plot by Teen Daughter After Fight

An Ohio physician who once authored a study about “the violent and…
At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence - Internewscast Journal

At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence

CHICAGO () — At least 17 people have been wounded in shootings…
ComEd Crews Aid NW Indiana Power Restoration After Storms - Internewscast Journal

ComEd Crews Aid NW Indiana Power Restoration After Storms

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Additional assistance is headed to northwest Indiana…