King Charles sees 11 of his 12 'overwhelmed and underpaid' gardeners quit Highgrove over demands

King Charles Faces Mass Resignation as 11 Out of 12 Highgrove Gardeners Leave Due to Stress and Low Pay

An enormous departure has affected King Charles’s expansive Highgrove estate, as 11 out of his 12 permanent gardeners have resigned over the past year amid claims of a toxic work atmosphere.

The frustrated employees, who alleged they felt “overwhelmed and underpaid,” submitted their resignations after growing more and more disenchanted with the monarch’s “demands,” reports The Sunday Times.

The concerning new report reveals that among the 11 gardeners who quit are two heads of gardens and a deputy head gardener, all of whom departed within the last year.

The mass resignations followed hot on the heels of the departure of one staffer, who had worked for Charles for decades.

Another quit when he failed his probation after revealing insufficient knowledge about a particular type of flower, reportedly losing the king’s trust.

“Don’t put that man in front of me again,” Charles said of the staffer, according to the report.

The Highgrove estate, which Charles had purchased in 1980, has also been rocked by a slew of toxic workplace complaints from vexed workers.

A recurring complaint was low wages, with insiders claiming that in March 2022, three gardeners earned $11.98 per hour (the minimum wage), whilst two others were on $12.78 per hour.

In late 2023, one gardener complained that the entire staff was “overwhelmed, under-resourced and constantly struggling to fulfill the king’s requests.”

The staffer claimed that some workers had sustained physical injuries trying to keep up with increasing demands, adding that morale had been at an all-time low.

“There is little management of HMTK [His Majesty the King’s] expectations, and I know I would not be allowed to say we are understaffed,” the complaint read, according to the outlet.

It’s said that the king issues a myriad of instructions to staffers during his morning walkabout on the estate. He then expects his orders to be completed before his next return.

Staffers claimed that the king sends detailed notes in “thick red ink” to garden staff, with memos that are “strikingly specific and emotional.”

Charles also allegedly corrects grammar and underlines incorrect letters in staff reports, and requires his team to address him as “Your Majesty” at all times.


Follow along with The Post’s live blog on everything you need to know about the British royal family.


“There was anger boiling at the surface, very impatient, no politeness at all,” one gardener alleged.

Following the complaints, the King’s Foundation has since commissioned WorkNest, an independent HR consultancy, to investigate the claims.

The probe has since discovered evidence of “staff shortages” and “poor” management practice, confirming that pay was “an issue for recruitment and retention.”

According to the outlet, the report recommended “management training for all managers,” as well as “mental health support and counseling” for all employees, in addition to a pay review.

What’s more, the estate has since removed the “Head of Gardens” role, instead appointing a “Head Gardener” following the mass exodus.

One of the king’s most-trusted advisers and the current executive director of Highgrove, Constantine “Costa” Innemée, has been named in the staff complaints as instructing his employees to prioritize the king’s demands, no matter how difficult.

“If the King wanted a plant to be moved from A to B but the gardener’s professional opinion was that it would die as a consequence, Innemée’s position would be to insist on it anyway,” one former gardener alleged.

Despite generating more than $8 million in turnover last financial year — higher than any other royal residence — the gardens continue to operate with minimal resources, The Post understands.

The Post has reached out to Highgrove and Buckingham Palace for comment.

You May Also Like

Another Child’s Room Becomes a Memorial to School Shootings - Internewscast Journal

Another Child’s Room Becomes a Memorial to School Shootings

In south Minneapolis, a bedroom on the second floor sits almost exactly…
Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute

Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case A Texas court removed Judge…
Charles Manson's granddaughter reveals moment she discovered dark family secret: 'It was devastating'

Charles Manson’s Granddaughter Reveals How She Learned Her Family’s Dark Secret: ‘It Was Devastating’

In 2022, Sophia Maddox got the kind of phone call that can…
Colorado River Water Cuts Hit California, Nevada, Arizona - Internewscast Journal

Colorado River Water Cuts Hit California, Nevada, Arizona

Federal officials on Friday unveiled steep Colorado River water reductions for the…
NY Grandma Found Dead Near Vegas Airport After Bitcoin Texts - Internewscast Journal

NY Grandma Found Dead Near Vegas Airport After Bitcoin Texts

A 63-year-old grandmother from New York who disappeared while on a trip…
Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon - Internewscast Journal

Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon

Californians appear to be feeling unusually brave, according to a new survey…
Iran taps financial lifeline, Russian arms as Trump escalates 'crushing' economic warfare

Iran Seeks Russian Arms and Lifeline as Trump Tightens Sanctions

Tehran is expanding its financial and military partnerships with Beijing and Moscow,…
Hofstra Professor Faces Firing Over Word Salad Remark - Internewscast Journal

Hofstra Professor Faces Firing Over Word Salad Remark

A Hofstra University political science professor says he has spent nearly a…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…
U.S. to Impose 50% Tariffs on Canada After Talks Fail as Ottawa Plans Matching Duties - Internewscast Journal

U.S. to Impose 50% Tariffs on Canada After Talks Fail as Ottawa Plans Matching Duties

The U.S. was poised to move ahead early Saturday with 50% tariffs…
Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
FBI arrests woman who allegedly plotted ISIS-linked attack on New York state Capitol building

Alleged Online ISIS Radicalization Before Capitol Bomb Plot

Jessica Bowie, 35, of upstate New York, has been hit with terrorism-related…