King Charles was reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s plan to return to the UK, learning of the move only four days ago even though his estranged son had already chosen a place for the family to live.
The monarch met with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex last month, but the couple did not raise their relocation plans with the royal family during that encounter, according to a report from the Sun.
Charles was said to have been informed on Sunday, just days before Harry and Meghan confirmed they would be heading back across the Atlantic for “an extended period,” bringing an end to nearly six years of self-imposed exile in the United States.
Despite the surprise, insiders said Charles, 77, is pleased by the prospect of spending more private time with his family after years of distance and strained relations.
“I know that Charles is the reason they are moving back,” one insider told Page Six.
Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, have reportedly been preparing for weeks — and possibly months — to leave their $14 million home in sunny Southern California with their children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5.
Sources said the family has secured a private, non-royal residence in Britain and has already enrolled both children at a British school for the fall semester.
It is still not known where in the UK the Sussexes plan to settle, or whether they have bought a property or intend to rent.
The Sussexes will not be returning to royal life, and they will continue to pursue their independent businesses.
The move comes six years after “Megxit” — when Harry and Meghan dramatically decided to ditch their royal duties to leave the UK for California in March 2020.
During their sojourn in the US, the Sussexes failed to become successful book authors, Netflix stars or jam makers in the colonies — but were outspoken in their criticism of the royal family, setting up a possible awkward homecoming for the couple.