Luigi Mangione returns to court for jury selection hearing after reported plea deal falls apart

Manhattan prosecutors are preparing to challenge any potential federal plea deal for Luigi Mangione if they believe it could disrupt New York’s murder case in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.

In a newly unsealed letter reviewed by INC News, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said it is aware of reports suggesting Mangione could attempt to plead guilty in his federal case before his state trial gets underway.

Prosecutors cautioned that if a federal agreement risked interfering with the New York prosecution, they may ask the federal judge to weigh that impact before deciding whether to approve the plea.

The letter comes after a June federal court hearing in which U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett postponed Mangione’s federal trial until January 2027, effectively allowing the New York murder trial to proceed first.

Luigi Mangione appearing at an evidence suppression hearing in a courtroom.

Luigi Mangione appears at an evidence suppression hearing at Manhattan Supreme Court in New York City on May 18, 2026. (Steven Hirsch/New York Post via Pool)

Mangione, 28, has entered not guilty pleas in both the state and federal cases tied to Thompson’s December 2024 death. Thompson was shot outside a Manhattan hotel while on his way to a conference.

“If a proposed federal guilty plea would operate to defeat a just outcome in the state prosecution, the People could advise the federal district court of that consequence, and the court should consider that fact in deciding whether to accept the plea,” Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann wrote in the July 2 letter.

Prosecutors added that the court should also consider any opposition from Thompson’s family before accepting such a plea.

The letter marks the clearest sign yet that Manhattan prosecutors are prepared to push back against any deal they believe could keep the state’s high-profile murder case from ever reaching a jury.

The DA’s office said it has already shared its position with federal prosecutors and Mangione’s defense team.

Luigi Mangione appears in court for the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson

Luigi Mangione in Court at 100 Centre Street in Manhattan for a pretrial evidence hearing, Thursday, December 11th, 2025. (William Farrington for New York Post via Pool)

Prosecutors argued that any resolution should reflect “the seriousness of defendant’s offenses,” “the loss of an innocent life,” the impact on Thompson’s family and New York’s interest in prosecuting the homicide.

The dispute comes after reports surfaced in June that Mangione’s legal team and federal prosecutors had discussed a possible plea deal but failed to reach an agreement.

Mangione attorney Karen Friedman Agnifilo blasted information attributed to anonymous sources at the time as “a troubling, deliberate pattern by prosecutors and law enforcement to prejudice Luigi.”

A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York previously declined to comment on the reported negotiations.

At a June 29 hearing, Garnett delayed Mangione’s federal trial after concluding there was no practical way for his attorneys to prepare for two high-profile trials at the same time.

During that hearing, Agnifilo confirmed Mangione’s New York murder trial remained on track to begin Sept. 8 and said the defense had been told there would be no delays.

“We’ve been told that no requests for adjournments will be granted and to be ready on that date,” Agnifilo told the court.

The judge said there was simply no realistic way to move both cases forward at once.

“It’s simply impossible for us to be moving through the jury selection process in this case while the defendant and his counsel are fully occupied actually conducting the state trial,” the judge said. She rescheduled federal jury selection for Jan. 5, 2027, with opening statements set for Jan. 25.

Luigi Mangione appearing at an evidence suppression hearing in a courtroom.

Luigi Mangione appears at an evidence suppression hearing at the Manhattan Supreme Court in New York City, May 18, 2026. (Jeenah Moon/Reuters via Pool)

Under the revised schedule, about 800 prospective jurors will complete written questionnaires in early December before in-person jury selection begins.

Manhattan prosecutors also argued New York should get the first opportunity to try Mangione because he was extradited there on the state case before he was later transferred into federal custody. Prosecutors argued that the transfer did not change New York’s priority to prosecute him first.

Prosecutors allege Mangione fled the city and was arrested five days later at a McDonald’s in Altoona, Pennsylvania. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Nancy Guthrie's abductor may have returned to the crime scene, left critical clues at tribute: expert

Nancy Guthrie Ransom Notes Reveal Repeated Writing Quirks That Could Help Identify Suspect, Expert Says

Two messages believed to be linked to the suspected abduction of Nancy…
Police: NJ Driver Swerved Into Oncoming Traffic, Killing Two Motorcyclists After Bug Scare - Internewscast Journal

Police: NJ Driver Swerved Into Oncoming Traffic, Killing Two Motorcyclists After Bug Scare

A New Jersey woman driving in Pennsylvania crossed into oncoming traffic and…
Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case - Internewscast Journal

Downtown Raleigh Hanging Death Investigated as Suicide, NC Medical Examiner Takes Over Case

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) — The death of a young Black man found…
CBP officers seize $67 million in illegal drugs at San Diego border ports, DHS says

CBP Seizes $67 Million in Illegal Drugs at San Diego Border Ports, DHS Reports

Alleged underground drug tunnel discovered in San Diego Federal authorities say a…
Trump Admin Pauses Big Bend National Park Border Project - Internewscast Journal

Trump Admin Pauses Big Bend National Park Border Project

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Monday it is temporarily stopping construction…
36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start - Internewscast Journal

36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start

Dozens of Border Collies found coated in feces inside what officials described…
Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe - Internewscast Journal

Elderly Orca Found With Possible Shotgun Wounds Sparks Probe

Unexplained injuries on one of the world’s oldest known orcas have prompted…
Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has…
Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign - Internewscast Journal

Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign

A 60-day deadline for the United States and Iran to finalize a…
Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case - Internewscast Journal

Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case

Margaret Hamp, a former colleague of Lindsay Clancy, told jurors Monday that…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was found not guilty by reason of insanity…
DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favoring minority students

DOJ Probes Elite College Over Alleged Bias Favoring Minorities

The Justice Department on Monday opened an investigation into the College of…