Manhattan DA to retry Etan Patz's killer after conviction in deadly 1979 kidnapping was overturned

The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office declared on Tuesday its intention to conduct a new trial for Pedro Hernandez, the individual previously convicted of the abduction and murder of a young boy more than 40 years ago.

In a tragic case that captured national attention, 6-year-old Etan Patz vanished in 1979 while making his first solo walk to a New York City bus stop. His disappearance marked a pivotal moment in history, leading to his being one of the earliest missing children to be featured on milk cartons.

Decades later, Hernandez admitted to the heinous act, and in 2017, he was sentenced to a term of 25 years to life for murder. This followed an earlier trial in 2015 that ended without a verdict due to a hung jury.

In a statement, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Sarah Marquez emphasized the DA’s commitment to pursuing justice, saying, “The District Attorney has determined that the available, admissible evidence supports prosecuting defendant on the charges of Murder in the Second Degree and Kidnapping in the First Degree in this matter, and the People are prepared to proceed.”

Pedro Hernandez in Court

Pedro Hernandez appeared with his lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, in Manhattan criminal court on November 15, 2012. (AP Photo/Louis Lanzano, Pool, File)

Despite the legal proceedings, Hernandez’s defense team, consisting of Harvey Fishbein and Alice Fontier, expressed their unwavering belief in his innocence to the Associated Press.

“But we will be prepared for trial and will present an even stronger defense,” the pair of attorneys added.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit overturned Hernandez’s conviction in July, finding that the jury in 2017 had not received a thorough enough explanation of its options, including that it could ignore Hernandez’s confessions.

Split of Pedro Hernandez in court and a missing poster for Etan Patz

Split of Pedro Hernandez in court and a missing poster for Etan Patz. (Reuters/Louis Lanzano/Pool; Reuters/Defense attorney Alice Fontier/Handout  )

Years before his conviction, Hernandez admitted to police that he lured Patz into the basement of the convenience store where he worked. Prosecutors claimed Hernandez choked Patz, stuffed his body into a plastic garbage bag hidden inside a box and took it out with the trash.

The appeals court found that the trial judge had issued “clearly wrong” and “manifestly prejudicial” instructions to the jury in response to a question about the suspect’s confessions to police.

In October, Judge Colleen McMahon of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled that Hernandez must receive a third trial by June 1, or he would ultimately be released.

Etan Patz's father in court

Stanley Patz, father of 1979 murder victim 6-year-old Etan Patz, (C) departs after speaking to the media at Manhattan State Supreme Court following the sentencing of Pedro Hernandez, in New York City, U.S., April 18, 2017. (Reuters/Lucas Jackson)

A court hearing is scheduled for Dec. 1.

You May Also Like

Connecticut Police Officers Shot; Suspect Killed After Chase - Internewscast Journal

Connecticut Police Officers Shot; Suspect Killed After Chase

Two Connecticut police officers were wounded and a suspect was fatally shot…
Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says

A Chicago woman says a Wendy’s double cheeseburger came with far more…
LAHSA Runs LA Homeless Mission From Luxe Downtown Aon Tower - Internewscast Journal

LAHSA Runs LA Homeless Mission From Luxe Downtown Aon Tower

The public agency at the center of Los Angeles’ deepening homelessness emergency…
Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs - Internewscast Journal

Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN) sharply criticized Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s…
Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy - Internewscast Journal

Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy

Competing protests broke out outside the New York Liberty’s Saturday matchup at…
Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool - Internewscast Journal

Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool

A 40-year-old woman was killed Friday after her SUV veered out of…
Beyond Hormuz: The Deeper Oil Threat That Could Outlast War - Internewscast Journal

Beyond Hormuz: The Deeper Oil Threat That Could Outlast War

While much of the world is watching oil tankers navigate the Strait…
John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police - Internewscast Journal

John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police

Retired NYPD Chief of Department John Chell, once the department’s top uniformed…
At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence - Internewscast Journal

At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence

CHICAGO () — At least 17 people have been wounded in shootings…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made - Internewscast Journal

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gang-related shooting at a…