Marvel cuts ties with Jonathan Majors after assault, harassment convictions

Marvel Studios is parting ways with Jonathan Majors after the actor was convicted Monday of assaulting and harassing his former girlfriend, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

Majors had been set to anchor the next phase of the lucrative Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise as the supervillain Kang the Conquerer. He has played the character in two Marvel projects, and he was slated to appear in 2026’s “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.”

It was not immediately clear who would be tapped to portray the chief antagonist of the next wave of interconnected Marvel movies, known as “Phase Six.”

Majors was widely seen as one of the fastest-rising stars in Hollywood before his ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari accused him of assault, an allegation he has denied.

He broke into the mainstream with a supporting role in the acclaimed 2019 indie drama “The Last Black Man in San Francisco,” distributed by A24. He then nabbed an Emmy nomination for his leading role on the HBO series “Lovecraft Country.”

He earned Oscar buzz earlier this year after the Sundance Film Festival debut of the bodybuilding drama “Magazine Dreams.” Disney’s Searchlight Pictures acquired distribution rights but then quietly pulled the movie from the fall release calendar.

Majors also co-starred in two of the year’s biggest blockbusters: “Creed III” and Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.” The two movies grossed more than $150 million apiece at the North American box office, raising the actor’s profile.

The nine-person jury in Manhattan found Majors, 34, guilty Monday of one misdemeanor assault charge and one harassment violation.

He was acquitted of aggravated harassment and a different assault charge. The judge set sentencing for Feb. 6. He faces up to a year behind bars for the assault conviction.

In a statement, Majors’ attorney Priya Chaudhry said in part: “It is clear that the jury did not believe Grace Jabbari’s story of what happened in the SUV because they found that Mr. Majors did not intentionally cause any injuries to her. We are grateful for that.”

“We are disappointed, however, that despite not believing Ms. Jabbari, the jury nevertheless found that Mr. Majors was somehow reckless while she was attacking him,” she added.

“Mr. Majors is grateful to God, his family, his friends, and his fans for their love and support during these harrowing eight months. Mr. Majors still has faith in the process and looks forward to fully clearing his name,” Chaudhry went on to say.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Teen-Led Nonprofit Teams Up With Texans Quarterback for Back-to-School Event - Internewscast Journal

Teen-Led Nonprofit Teams Up With Texans Quarterback for Back-to-School Event

HOUSTON, Texas — Lily Dubose was just 8 years old when she…
WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience - Internewscast Journal

WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience

A man accused of racist conduct and with no background in fund…
Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault - Internewscast Journal

Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault

An Ohio couple accused of being intoxicated forced their way into a…
Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals

Hayden Panettiere was “struggling” and “really lonely” during the making of what…
WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts

The WNBA and the Atlanta Dream have both criticized a security decision…
American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare - Internewscast Journal

American, United Jets Hit Tire Blowouts Hours Apart at O’Hare

Two commercial flights suffered tire blowouts at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport on…
Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather - Internewscast Journal

Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. () — A week after a tornado swept through Munster,…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was found not guilty by reason of insanity…
Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday in a closely watched federal…
Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2 - Internewscast Journal

Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2

Mario Fernandez-Saldana, accused of helping plan the 2022 shooting death of St.…
Neighbor’s Pit Bulls Maul Pregnant Kansas Woman Carrying Twins - Internewscast Journal

Neighbor’s Pit Bulls Maul Pregnant Kansas Woman Carrying Twins

A pregnant Kansas woman was left with devastating facial injuries after she…
Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment - Internewscast Journal

Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment

Allison Roberts, a Portland, Oregon, mother, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against Portland…