Menendez brothers: Attorneys rescind motion to have LA County DA Nathan Hochman kicked off resentencing case
Share this @internewscast.com

Attorneys representing Erik and Lyle Menendez have withdrawn their request to disqualify Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman from overseeing the brothers’ resentencing case.

The motion was retracted during a morning court hearing at a Van Nuys courthouse.

Hochman, who opposes the brothers’ resentencing, last week filed an opposition to the recusal motion by attorneys for the Menendez brothers.

He called the efforts to remove him from the case a “drastic and desperate step” that is “devoid of merit.”

“Disagreeing with the opposing side’s position is not a conflict of interest, it is simply a disagreement,” it said.

The reason why the Menendez brothers’ attorneys pulled the recusal motion on Friday morning was not immediately clear.

Initially, the defense focused on Hochman’s actions and sought to have the entire case shifted from the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. This would have potentially involved the state attorney general’s office stepping in.

This week, California Attorney General Rob Bonta supported Hochman by filing a motion. He noted that the defense hadn’t successfully shown there was a conflict of interest.

For Lyle and Erik Menendez, it’s hard to imagine a hearing more important to them in the past 30 years than the one later this week.

Before the recusal request was rescinded, a statement from the Menendez brothers’ family members said: “This has been a pattern of behavior. It is one thing to try to ignore our rights, but when you use every legal remedy to tilt the scales of justice, it becomes clear that there is more at play than overzealous advocacy.”

Laurie Levenson, a former federal prosecutor and professor of criminal law at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, previously said that such recusal requests are “almost never” granted.

“Defendants don’t usually get to pick their prosecutors,” she said. “Occasionally an individual prosecutor will be recused, but to recuse an entire office is very rare.”

Generally, it only happens if a prosecutor’s personal family member is involved or if the district attorney’s office received outside payment in a case, Levenson said.

The path to possible resentencing

The brothers were sentenced in 1996 to life in prison without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and mother, Kitty Menendez, in their Beverly Hills home. The brothers were 18 and 21 at the time of the killings. Defense attorneys argued the brothers acted out of self-defense after years of sexual abuse by their father, while prosecutors said the brothers killed their parents for a multimillion-dollar inheritance.

Former L.A. County District Attorney George Gascón had opened the door to possible freedom for the brothers in October by requesting their sentences be reduced to 50 years with the possibility of parole. His office said the case would’ve been handled differently today due to modern understandings of sexual abuse and trauma, and that the brothers had rehabilitated during their 30 years in prison.

But current District Attorney Hochman has said the brothers have not taken full responsibility for their crimes because they have not admitted to lies told during their trials. The Menendez family and lawyers have been heavily critical of the way Hochman has handled the case.

During long-awaited resentencing hearings last month, attorneys engaged in a heated debate over whether material from risk assessments completed by the state parole board at the governor’s order should be admissible in court. The hearings were delayed, and the brothers’ lead attorney Mark Geragos said he would move to recuse Hochman from the case.

In a motion filed April 25, Geragos argued that Hochman’s bias against the brothers and mistreatment of the Menendez family posed a “genuine risk” the brothers would not receive a fair hearing.

The Menendez brothers are still waiting for the full results of a state parole board risk assessment ordered by Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office. The final hearing, scheduled for June 13, will influence whether Newsom grants the brothers clemency.

The perspective of a new generation of people who weren’t even alive during the murders of Kitty and José Menendez shows just how much has changed in three and a half decades.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2025 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
'It didn’t feel real': Georgia teen dances his way to New York City for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Georgia Teen’s Dance Journey Takes Him to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

As vibrant floats and rhythmic marching bands made their way down 34th…
Conservative Gettysburg College group catches student on video tearing down promotional flyers

Student Caught on Camera: Controversial Flyer Removal Sparks Debate at Gettysburg College

A conservative campus group at a private college in Pennsylvania claims a…
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Chinese cyberattack campaign likely impacted every American, former FBI official says

Massive Chinese Cyberattack Allegedly Affects Every American, Claims Ex-FBI Official

An alarming revelation from a former FBI official suggests that nearly every…
Antifa agitation turns violent in Germany, bolstering Trump administration's foreign terror label

Escalating Antifa Protests in Germany Spark International Debate on Terror Classification

On Saturday, an extensive demonstration featuring activists from the radical group Antifa,…
Intel Official Busted for Selling Top Secret Info to Foreign Nation Because He Was ‘Disturbed’ by Trump

Kash Patel Reveals Compelling Updates on Comey Case and the Use of ‘Burn Bags

Recently, a judge dismissed the case against former FBI Director James Comey…
Afghan National Freed Under Biden Program Arrested After TikTok Bomb Threat in Fort Worth

Controversial Release: Afghan National’s TikTok Bomb Threat Shakes Fort Worth After Biden Program Grant

An Afghan national, who entered the United States through President Biden’s Operation…
Hegseth slams report on boat strike targeting attack survivors, denies war crimes

Hegseth Criticizes Allegations of Boat Strike on Attack Survivors, Refutes War Crime Claims

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has vehemently dismissed allegations suggesting that he commanded…
Airlines work to fix software glitch on A320 aircraft and some flights are disrupted

Airlines Address Software Glitch on A320 Aircraft, Causing Select Flight Delays

As the weekend approached, airlines globally faced a wave of flight cancellations…
Pope Leo XIV begins Lebanon visit amid economic crisis, heightened security concerns

Pope Leo XIV Visits Lebanon: Addressing Economic Woes and Security Challenges

Pope Leo XIV landed in Lebanon on Sunday, marking the beginning of…
Ryan Wedding: FBI seizes $13 million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster connected to former Olympian turned alleged drug kingpin

FBI Seizes $13 Million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster Linked to Ex-Olympian and Alleged Drug Kingpin Ryan Wedding

The FBI recently confiscated an incredibly rare car valued at $13 million,…
Analyzing Japanese free agents heading to MLB after Yankees declared interest

Yankees Eye Japanese Free Agents: MLB’s Next Big International Talent Surge

The New York Yankees are signaling a strong intention to re-engage with…