Sinaloa Gov. Rubén Rocha Moya, already under intense political pressure in Mexico, unexpectedly asked Saturday to step away from office indefinitely — only 24 hours after resuming his duties following a three-month absence linked to U.S. drug trafficking allegations against him.
Rocha, 77, posted a letter on social media in which he requested a “temporary leave of an indefinite nature, for more than 30 days” from the governorship.
The document, dated Aug. 22 and marked as received the same day by the Sinaloa State Congress, offered no explanation for the renewed leave and did not indicate when he might return.
Sinaloa Gov. Rubén Rocha Moya is seen speaking while departing the inauguration ceremony for Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in Mexico City, Mexico, on Oct. 1, 2024. (Jose Luis Torales/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
The sudden request followed Rocha’s statement one day earlier that he was back at work and committed to carrying out the term voters gave him, which runs through Oct. 31, 2027.
“Today, I return to the exercise of my responsibility as Governor of Sinaloa with a clear conscience and head held high, with the strength of truth on our side,” Rocha wrote Friday on X.
Rocha said his 112-day absence had been spent making himself available to Mexican officials as they reviewed what he described as “false accusations” made by the U.S. government.
He added that he had appeared in person before Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office and responded to questions from investigators.
Rocha insisted the investigation had produced no evidence that he committed a crime and accused political opponents in Mexico and abroad of trying to damage both the country’s sovereignty and the left-wing movement he represents.
“I am unrelated to and innocent of the fabrications woven against me,” Rocha wrote.
Rocha’s return Friday did not get a warm reception from Mexico’s ruling Morena party or the government of President Claudia Sheinbaum.
Morena said it had no advance knowledge of Rocha’s decision and distanced itself from the move, according to Reuters. Mexico’s Interior Ministry said returning to office was Rocha’s decision alone and noted that the attorney general’s investigation remained open.
Sheinbaum also posted a pointed message on X.
“No personal interest can ever stand above the interests of the people and the Nation,” she wrote.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum responded to Rocha’s return to office on Saturday. (Daniel Cardenas/Getty Images)
“Mexico deserves public servants who understand that positions are temporary, but responsibility to the Nation is eternal,” Sheinbaum added.
U.S. prosecutors charged Rocha and nine other current and former officials in April with drug trafficking and related weapons offenses. The current and former high-ranking government and law enforcement officials are alleged to have partnered with the Sinaloa cartel to distribute massive quantities of narcotics to the United States.
U.S. prosecutors charged Rocha and nine other current and former officials in April with drug trafficking and related weapons offenses linked to the Sinaloa cartel. (Solidago/Getty Images)
Rocha is the first sitting Mexican governor to face charges from the U.S., according to Reuters.
The case has strained relations between the U.S. and Mexico. Sheinbaum has called the charges foreign interference, while Mexico says Washington has not provided enough evidence to justify Rocha’s arrest or extradition.


