Keir Starmer giving a speech.

THE UK’s biggest jobless families could receive a windfall of £3.5billion funded by the taxpayer if plans to lift the two-child benefit cap go ahead.

Since 2017, parents have been limited to claiming child tax credit and universal credit for their first two children, applicable to children born after April 2017.

Keir Starmer giving a speech.
Sir Keir Starmer dropped his strongest hint yet that the two-child benefit cap will be abolished earlier this weekCredit: Getty
Nigel Farage of the Reform UK party at a press conference.
Nigel Farage said that Reform would ditch the benefit if he came to powerCredit: Alamy

An exception is made for children born as a result of rape.

Now, Labour and Reform are both pushing to ditch the policy brought in by the Tories.

The Labour party has long been divided over the issue, with Sir Keir Starmer ruling out scrapping the cap in 2023.

However, on Thursday the PM hinted he’s ready to heed the demands of Labour rebels and scrap the two-child benefit cap.

Sir Keir gave his strongest indication yet that he will remove the threshold that limits handouts for a third kid.

A review of official data indicates that removing this restriction would provide thousands of pounds in additional benefits annually to 180,000 large families where no one is employed.

But critics of the cap claim it has worsened child poverty.

The stringent rule, which reduces payments such as Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit, is costing struggling households an average of £4,300 each, according to a new report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

Official figures from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) show a staggering 450,000 families were stung by the cap last year.

Most of those hit – around 280,000 families – have three kids, while 120,000 have four, and 56,000 are raising five or more little ones.

The DWP doesn’t reveal exactly how much the biggest families are missing out on.

I was one of the biggest stars of Benefits Britain but I feel I was exploited for entertainment

However, separate stats from HMRC show child benefit – which isn’t affected by the cap – is still being paid to some 15 families with a whopping 13 children or more.

More than 16,000 families are getting child benefit for six kids, and over 5,000 are claiming for seven.

Incredibly, nearly three in five of the families hit by the cap have at least one adult in work – proving that even grafting parents aren’t safe from the squeeze.

However, this leaves around 180,000 where no one in the household is in any kind of paid work.

But former work and pensions secretary Esther McVey last night said the figures underlined the case for keeping the cap in place.

She said: “Encouraging people to have children that they cannot afford themselves, and expecting others to pick up the tab for them, is financially and morally indefensible.

“I expect nothing better from Labour, but it is a mistake for Nigel Farage to chase Labour to the Left.”

Laying the groundwork for a U-turn on his election claim the cap won’t be abandoned, Sir Keir said earlier this week that he was “determined to drive down child poverty”.

Visiting a glass manufacturing plant in Warrington, on three occasions he wouldn’t rule out a change in policy.

Amid growing pressure from furious backbench MPs, Sir Keir insisted ministers were “looking at all options” around tackling poverty among kids.

And Nigel Farage raised eyebrows when he announced that a Reform-led government would ditch the cap completely.

How many children does the cap affect?

Then work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith first proposed the policy in 2012 under the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government.

It was not until 2015 that then chancellor George Osborne announced a cap would be introduced from the 2017/2018 financial year.

The coalition said it made the system fairer for taxpayers and ensured households on benefits faced the same financial choices around having children as those not on benefits.

Government figures show one in nine children (1.6m) are impacted by the two-child limit.

In the first three months Labour were in power, 10,000 children were pulled into poverty by the cap, the Child Poverty Action Group found.

In May, it said another 109 children are pulled into poverty each day by the limit, adding to the 4.5 million already in poverty.

The Resolution Foundation said the cap would increase the number of children in poverty to 4.8 million by the next election in 2029-30.

Torsten Bell, the foundation’s former chief executive and now a Labour Treasury minister, said scrapping the cap would lift 470,000 children out of poverty.

Esther McVey leaving the Cabinet Office building.
Esther McVey believes the cap should be kept in placeCredit: Alamy

You May Also Like

Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In - Internewscast Journal

Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In

A San Diego public safety meeting took an unexpectedly surreal turn this…
Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach - Internewscast Journal

Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach

What began as a calm walk along the sand became a desperate…
Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made - Internewscast Journal

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gang-related shooting at a…
Nevada Brush Fire Explodes to 10,500 Acres, Prompting Governor’s State of Emergency - Internewscast Journal

Nevada Brush Fire Explodes to 10,500 Acres, Prompting Governor’s State of Emergency

A rapidly spreading brush fire roared through more than 10,500 acres near…
Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool - Internewscast Journal

Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool

A 40-year-old woman was killed Friday after her SUV veered out of…
Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash - Internewscast Journal

Gavin Newsom Signs Stop Nick Shirley Act Amid Backlash

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday signed the disputed “Stop Nick Shirley…
WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham

The Toronto Tempo introduced a new non-binary mascot before their WNBA game…
Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over unhinged, 'antisemitic' rant against Warner Bros merger

Paramount Fires Back at Mark Ruffalo Over ‘Antisemitic’ Warner Bros. Merger Attack

Paramount is pushing back against Mark Ruffalo after the actor criticized the…
Supreme Court Lets White House Ballroom Construction Move Forward for Now - Internewscast Journal

Supreme Court Lets White House Ballroom Construction Move Forward for Now

Washington — The Supreme Court on Friday cleared the way, at least…
San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground - Internewscast Journal

San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground

North Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore was temporarily closed Saturday after…
Fetterman Backs Trump’s AI National Security Push, Warns China Could Gain Edge - Internewscast Journal

Fetterman Backs Trump’s AI National Security Push, Warns China Could Gain Edge

Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., pushed back Saturday against what he called “AI…
Young Pilot Uninjured After Emergency Landing in Front of Florida Beachgoers - Internewscast Journal

Young Pilot Uninjured After Emergency Landing in Front of Florida Beachgoers

A 23-year-old pilot drew stunned reactions from beachgoers in Florida after deliberately…