Snap, X, Discord CEOs subpoenaed for child exploitation hearing

The leaders of X, Meta, Snap, TikTok and Discord have been called to testify before a Senate Judiciary hearing about online child sexual exploitation.

Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said Monday that they had issued subpoenas to the CEOs of X, Discord and Snap. The senators said they expected Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew to testify voluntarily, based on conversations they said had been occurring between committee members and the companies.

In a joint statement, the senators said they were seeking to compel the executives to testify at a hearing scheduled for Dec. 6, where they would “have their chance to explain their failures to protect kids.”

But Linda Yaccarino of X, Jason Citron of Discord and Evan Spiegel of Snap had been less cooperative, according to representatives for the senators.

A representative for Durbin said that X and Discord had refused electronic service of the subpoenas and that the senator’s office had engaged U.S. Marshals to serve them.

“After repeated refusals to appear during several weeks of negotiations, subpoenas have been issued,” the senators said in a news release. “In a remarkable departure from typical practice, Discord and X have further refused to cooperate by accepting service of the subpoenas on behalf of their CEOs, requiring the Committee to enlist the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service to personally serve the subpoenas.”

Wifredo Fernandez, head of U.S. and Canada government affairs at X, said the company is working to comply with the subpoena.

“We have been working in good faith to participate in the Judiciary committee’s hearing on child protection online as safety is our top priority at X,” he wrote in an email. “Today we are communicating our updated availability to participate in a hearing on this important issue.”

Meta declined to comment. Discord and Snap did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Meta, TikTok, Discord, X and Snap have all faced scrutiny over the spread of material depicting the exploitation of children and the use of the platform by adults to groom minors.

In a review of court cases, NBC News identified 35 cases over the past six years in which adults were prosecuted on charges of kidnapping, grooming or sexual assault that allegedly involved communications on Discord. 

Investigations from other news outlets have similarly found that other social media platforms continue to be used for child exploitation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget - Internewscast Journal

Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget

As a participant in multiple affiliate marketing programs, Localish may earn a…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, contact the…
Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: 'I heard you missed me'

Melania Trump Dismisses Disappearance Rumors With ‘I Heard You Missed Me’

WASHINGTON — First lady Melania Trump cut through days of speculation about…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open - Internewscast Journal

1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open

About 1,500 mink broke loose from an Oregon farm after someone cut…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…