States worry about how to fill the gap in food aid ahead of a federal benefits halt


States Brace for Food Aid Crisis as Federal Benefits Set to Expire: Exploring Solutions to Bridge the Hunger Gap

Officials from Louisiana, Vermont, and Virginia have committed to ensuring that food aid continues for their residents, even if the federal program is interrupted next month due to a government shutdown.

The future of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which assists approximately 1 in 8 Americans in purchasing groceries, is raising significant concerns. This anxiety is mounting as November 1st approaches—a date when benefits could cease unless the federal shutdown is resolved or alternative measures are taken.

While some states have considered using their own resources to support the program, they have encountered technical challenges. It remains uncertain whether the newly announced plans from these three states can overcome these obstacles. In Vermont, legislative officials are awaiting guidance from the state administration on how benefits will be distributed.

Here’s the latest update:

Some states are announcing plans, but details have been scarce

In Virginia, Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin has declared a state of emergency to ensure that food benefits reach SNAP recipients. Further details on the implementation of this plan are expected soon, according to a spokesperson.

Louisiana’s Republican Governor, Jeff Landry, has emphasized his commitment to preventing hunger among seniors, individuals with disabilities, and children reliant on food stamps in the state. However, he has yet to provide specifics on the plan’s execution.

New Hampshire officials announced a plan to increase access to food through food banks and mobile pantries. It would require approval of a legislative committee in the GOP-controlled state.

Vermont lawmakers also said Thursday they intend to have the state cover both the food aid and heating fuel assistance that’s at risk.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, said this week that he would deploy the National Guard to help food banks. “This is serious, this is urgent – and requires immediate action,” he said.

States have limited ability to help

Officials from Alaska, New Mexico and North Dakota have said that they’ve considered using state money to keep the food aid flowing but fear a federal government directive may make that impossible.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees SNAP, told states earlier this month not to send information to the vendors who provide the debit cards because of uncertainty about whether the program would be funded in November.

Officials in the states say that federal control of the system appears to stand in the way of their attempts to fund the program on their own.

“Without action from USDA, I think it is highly unlikely that any states would issue November SNAP benefits,” Carolyn Vega, a policy analyst at the advocacy group Share Our Strength, said in an email. “On top of the technical challenges, states can’t shoulder that cost, especially with the risk it wouldn’t be refunded.”

It’s not certain the program will be paused, but it’s looking likely

Lower-income families who qualify for SNAP receive debit cards loaded each month by the federal government that work only for groceries at participating stores and farmers markets.

The average monthly benefit is $187 per person. Most beneficiaries have incomes at or below the poverty level.

Time is running short to keep benefits flowing in November.

Congress and President Donald Trump could strike a deal to end the federal shutdown that started Oct. 1.

It’s also possible that the Trump administration would allocate money for the program even if the shutdown continues. The liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that about $5 billion is available in a contingency fund and is calling on the administration to use that for partial benefits in November, but it’s not clear if that’s being seriously discussed.

Forty-six of the 47 Democrats in the U.S. Senate sent a letter Thursday to Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins calling on her to release the contingency money.

The USDA has not answered questions from The Associated Press about whether those funds might be tapped.

States have also indicated that there could be a delay in benefits even if a deal is struck to fund SNAP for November.

Losing SNAP could mean tough choices for beneficiaries

Sylvia Serrano gets $100 every month to help buy groceries for herself and the four grandchildren she’s raising in Camden, New Jersey.

Two of her grandkids have autism, and because of their aversions to certain textures they eat only certain foods that are unlikely to be available at food banks.

The act of getting food could also be harder for her without SNAP. She now does her shopping while the kids are at school, using a grocery store that’s close to home due to her not-so-reliable car.

She says that with SNAP, she can mostly stay up on her other expenses. Without it? “I would have to send less payment into a bill or something in order to cover the needs and then the bills are going to get behind,” Serrano said.

Some states are encouraging stocking up and seeking other help

Some states are telling SNAP recipients to be ready for the benefits to stop.

Arkansas is advising recipients to identify food pantries and other groups that might be able to help, and to ask friends and family for aid.

It’s unclear whether any benefits left on recipients EBT cards on Nov. 1 will be available to use. Arkansas officials suggest people who have balances on their cards to use it this month on shelf-stable foods.

Missouri and Pennsylvania officials, on the other hand, expect previous benefits will remain accessible and are telling beneficiaries to save for November if they can.

Oklahoma is encouraging people who receive benefits to visit a state website that connects people with nonprofits, faith-based groups, Native American tribes and others that may be able to help with food.

Food banks could be the fallback for many beneficiaries

Separate federal program cuts this year have already put food banks that supply food pantries in a tough spot, said George Matysik, the executive director of Share Food Program in Philadelphia.

So dealing with an anticipated surge in demand could be tough.

Matysik said it’s especially acute for his organization and others in Pennsylvania, where a state government budget impasse has meant at least a pause in another funding stream. He said the group has had to cut about 20% of its budget, or $8.5 million, this year.

“Any time we have a crisis, it’s always the working class that feels the pain first,” he said.

___

Associated Press reporters Sophie Austin in Sacramento, California; Scott Bauer in Madison, Wisconsin; Becky Bohrer in Juneau, Alaska; Jack Brook in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Jack Dura in Bismarck, North Dakota; Susan Haigh in Hartford, Connecticut; John Hanna in Topeka, Kansas; Marc Levy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Morgan Lee in Santa Fe, New Mexico; Michael Casey in Boston; and Sean Murphy in Oklahoma City contributed to this article.

You May Also Like

Mom Accused of Trading Daughters’ Sex Abuse for Drugs, Cash - Internewscast Journal

Mom Accused of Trading Daughters’ Sex Abuse for Drugs, Cash

A South Carolina mother is accused of allowing men to sexually abuse…
Colorado black bear dies after becoming trapped inside unlocked car for days: report

Colorado Black Bear Found Dead After Days Trapped Inside Unlocked Car, Report Says

A black bear in Colorado was found dead after apparently spending days…
Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College - Internewscast Journal

Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College

An Arizona teenager was beaten to death after a pickup soccer game…
3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say - Internewscast Journal

3 Injured in Humboldt Park Drive-By Shooting on Hirsch Street, Chicago Police Say

CHICAGO () — Three people were wounded Wednesday afternoon when gunfire erupted…
Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale - Internewscast Journal

Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale

Chaos erupts at the Wisconsin State Fair. What is typically a family-friendly…
Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report

Authorities in Massachusetts are searching for a woman described as “armed and…
Manhattan Beach Hit by Rise in Two Types of Vehicle Theft - Internewscast Journal

Manhattan Beach Hit by Rise in Two Types of Vehicle Theft

Manhattan Beach police are urging Kia and Hyundai owners to be more…
Penn State Frat Coke Ring Suspect Denied Bail After Surrender - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Coke Ring Suspect Denied Bail After Surrender

14 charged in alleged Penn State cocaine ring bust Fourteen people are…
New York grandmother vanishes in Las Vegas as family gets mysterious texts from her phone asking for Bitcoin

NY Grandmother Vanishes in Las Vegas as Bitcoin Texts Spark Fear

A New York grandmother disappeared during a trip to Las Vegas, and…
Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board

An Ohio death row prisoner who has spent more than 30 years…
Ossoff-Platner Parallels Pose New Risks for Susan Collins’ Reelection Campaign - Internewscast Journal

Ossoff-Platner Parallels Pose New Risks for Susan Collins’ Reelection Campaign

Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-GA) has long struck his critics as overly self-assured,…
Oklahoma Secretary Lepak Arrested for Public Intoxication - Internewscast Journal

Oklahoma Secretary Lepak Arrested for Public Intoxication

Oklahoma Secretary of State Benjamin Lepak was taken into custody on a…