New York offering free AC units to eligible residents

Stay Cool for Free: New York's AC Unit Giveaway for Eligible Residents

As New Yorkers gear up for another sweltering summer, where subway platforms feel more like ovens, the state is stepping in with some much-needed relief. Free air conditioners are once again being distributed to qualifying residents, making the challenge of enduring July’s heat a little less daunting.

Since April 15, applications have been open for New York’s Cooling Assistance Benefit. This initiative offers eligible households a complimentary air conditioner or fan, along with installation, just in time to combat the oppressive heat that turns apartment living into a test of endurance.

This program, a part of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), provides the necessary funds to purchase one cooling unit per household. Conveniently, it includes the removal of any outdated appliances, ensuring a seamless transition to cooler living.

The benefit covers costs up to $800 for window or portable air conditioning units and fans, including installation. For households needing wall sleeve units, the assistance can cover up to $1,000.

Additionally, any minor repairs required for safe installation are taken care of, relieving residents from yet another potential financial burden during the costly summer months.

Minor repairs needed to safely install the unit are also included, sparing New Yorkers from yet another wallet-draining summer expense.

And if your building setup makes installing an air conditioner impossible? The state says you’ll still get a fan to help beat the heat.

The catch — because there’s always a catch — is that the program is first-come, first-served, meaning procrastinators could be left sweating it out with a sad box fan they bought 1997.

To qualify, households must meet income requirements or already receive benefits like SNAP, Temporary Assistance or certain Social Security Income (SSI) benefits. 

Applicants also need to have someone in the household who’s especially vulnerable to extreme heat — including seniors 60 and older, children under 6, or someone with a medical condition worsened by high temperatures.

The program is also limited to households that either don’t currently have a working air conditioner or are limping along with one that’s at least five years old. 

Anyone who already received a HEAP-funded air conditioner within the last five years is out of luck.

Single-person households can qualify with a gross monthly income of up to $3,473, while a family of four can earn up to $6,680 per month and still be eligible.

New Yorkers will also need to provide proof of residence, income, identity, Social Security information and — if applicable — documentation of a medical condition from a healthcare provider.

New York City residents can apply online through Access NYC, while others can apply through their local HEAP office by phone or in person.

For New Yorkers already dreading the annual ritual of sleeping directly in front of a fan while praying Con Edison doesn’t implode during the next heat wave, the state’s free A/C giveaway could be the coolest deal of the summer.

As previously reported by The Post, New Yorkers got a sweaty preview of summer on April 15, when temperatures in Central Park skyrocketed to a sizzling 90 degrees around 2:15 p.m. — smashing the previous record of 87 degrees set in 1941 and marking the hottest April 15 the city has seen in 85 years.

Meteorologists said the sunny, beach-worthy weather made the Big Apple feel more like mid-July than mid-spring.

Because when the next heat wave hits, the difference between “summer in New York” and “surviving summer in New York” might just be a free air conditioner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam - Internewscast Journal

Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has issued a consumer warning after a…
Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial

Marc Jacobs is facing backlash after saying he would be willing to…
CBP officers seize nearly 850 pounds of khat packed into 12 suitcases after flight from London

CBP Seizes Nearly 850 Pounds of Khat in 12 Suitcases After London Flight

Customs officers at a Maryland airport say they intercepted nearly 850 pounds…
Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget - Internewscast Journal

Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget

As a participant in multiple affiliate marketing programs, Localish may earn a…
Biden COVID Advisor Texted Fauci About FOIA Dodge: Report - Internewscast Journal

Biden COVID Advisor Texted Fauci About FOIA Dodge: Report

A newly surfaced text message from Anthony Fauci’s government cellphone is drawing…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal - Internewscast Journal

Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal

A surrogate mother who says she rejected a request to end her…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
FBI arrests woman who allegedly plotted ISIS-linked attack on New York state Capitol building

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of Plotting ISIS-Linked Attack on New York State Capitol

A New York woman allegedly planned to bomb the New York State…
Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: 'I heard you missed me'

Melania Trump Dismisses Disappearance Rumors With ‘I Heard You Missed Me’

WASHINGTON — First lady Melania Trump cut through days of speculation about…
Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools - Internewscast Journal

Substitute Teacher Accused of False Shooter Alerts at 5 Schools

A Louisiana substitute teacher has been arrested after investigators said she sent…
FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol - Internewscast Journal

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of ISIS-Inspired Plot to Bomb New York State Capitol

An ISIS-inspired suspect has been arrested after allegedly planning a deadly assault…