Pulse massacre survivors are set to revisit the nightclub before it's razed

Survivors of the Pulse nightclub tragedy plan to visit the site before it is demolished.

The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property in 2023 for $2 million and plans to build a $12 million permanent memorial, which will open in 2027.

ORLANDO, Fla. — Survivors and the loved ones of the 49 people who lost their lives in the Pulse nightclub tragedy nine years ago are getting their inaugural opportunity on Wednesday to visit the long-closed, LGBTQ+-supportive Florida nightclub before it is demolished to make way for a permanent memorial commemorating what was once the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

Over the course of four days, survivors and the families of those killed are set to visit the venue in small groups, spending half an hour in the location where Omar Mateen carried out an attack during a Latin night event on June 12, 2016, resulting in 49 fatalities and 53 injuries. Mateen, who had declared his allegiance to the Islamic State group, was shot dead after a three-hour standoff with law enforcement.

At the time, the Pulse nightclub attack was the most lethal mass shooting in contemporary U.S. history. The death toll from the Pulse incident was surpassed the subsequent year when 58 individuals were killed and over 850 injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas.

The city of Orlando purchased the Pulse property in 2023 for $2 million and plans to build a $12 million permanent memorial which will open in 2027. Those efforts follow a multiyear, botched attempt by a private foundation run by the club’s former owner. The existing structure will be razed later this year.

“None of us thought that it would take nine years to get to this point and we can’t go back and relitigate all of the failures along the way that have happened, but what we can do is control how we move forward together,” Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said two weeks ago when county commissioners pledged $5 million to support the city of Orlando’s plan.

Visits coincide with the shooting’s ninth anniversary

The opportunity to go inside the nightclub comes on the ninth anniversary of the mass shooting. Outside, over-sized photos of the victims, rainbow-colored flags and flowers have hung on fences in a makeshift memorial, and the site has attracted visitors from around the globe. But very few people other than investigators have been inside the structure.

Around 250 survivors and family members of those killed have responded to the city’s invitation to walk through the nightclub this week. Families of the 49 people who were killed can visit the site with up to six people in their group, and survivors can bring one person with them.

The people invited to visit are being given the chance to ask FBI agents who investigated the massacre about what happened. They won’t be allowed to take photos or video inside.

Brandon Wolf, who hid in a bathroom as the gunman opened fire, said he wasn’t going to visit, primarily because he now lives in Washington. He said he wanted to remember Pulse as it was before.

“I will say that the site of the tragedy is where I feel closest to the people who were stolen from me,” said Wolf, who now is national press secretary for the Human Rights Campaign, a LGBTQ+ advocacy group. “For survivors, the last time they were in that space was the worst night possible. It will be really hard to be in that space again.”

Mental health counselors planned to be on hand to talk to those who walk through the building.

Original memorial plans for Pulse fell short

Survivors and family members had hoped to have a permanent memorial in place by now. But an earlier effort by a private foundation to build one floundered, and the organization disbanded in 2023.

Barbara and Rosario Poma and businessman Michael Panaggio previously owned the property, and Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation — the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. She stepped down as executive director in 2022 and then left the organization entirely in 2023 amid criticism that she wanted to sell instead of donate the property. There were also complaints about the lack of progress despite millions of dollars being raised.

The original project, unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation, called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. That estimate eventually soared to $100 million. The city of Orlando has since outlined a more modest proposal and scrapped plans for a museum.

“The building may come down, and we may finally get, a permanent memorial, but that doesn’t change the fact that this community has been scarred for life,” Wolf said. “There are people inside the community who still need and will continue to need support and resources.”

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made - Internewscast Journal

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gang-related shooting at a…
Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring

14 arrested in Penn State cocaine ring scandal Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy - Internewscast Journal

Sophie Cunningham Supporters and Critics Rally Outside NYC Arena During Liberty-Fever Game Amid Trans Controversy

Competing protests broke out outside the New York Liberty’s Saturday matchup at…
Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute

WASHINGTON — The trade fight between the United States and Canada is…
Fetterman Backs Trump’s AI National Security Push, Warns China Could Gain Edge - Internewscast Journal

Fetterman Backs Trump’s AI National Security Push, Warns China Could Gain Edge

Sen. John Fetterman, D-Pa., pushed back Saturday against what he called “AI…
Arizona Teen Killed During Soccer Game Days Before College - Internewscast Journal

Arizona Teen Killed During Soccer Game Days Before College

The victim’s brother said the opposing team grew angry after giving up…
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
LAHSA Runs LA Homeless Mission From Luxe Downtown Aon Tower - Internewscast Journal

LAHSA Runs LA Homeless Mission From Luxe Downtown Aon Tower

The public agency at the center of Los Angeles’ deepening homelessness emergency…
Beloved Jewish Teacher, Mom of 4 Dies in Long Island Pool Crash - Internewscast Journal

Beloved Jewish Teacher, Mom of 4 Dies in Long Island Pool Crash

A Long Island community is mourning the death of Allison Rahmani, a…
Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach - Internewscast Journal

Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach

What began as a calm walk along the sand became a desperate…
Zymire Hughes, Chucky Mask Stalking Suspect, May Be in California - Internewscast Journal

Zymire Hughes, Chucky Mask Stalking Suspect, May Be in California

Philadelphia police say a man accused of wearing a Chucky doll mask…