Share this @internewscast.com
The individual charged with executing a Hanukkah attack in Sydney, Australia, made his first public appearance on Monday through a video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a court session at Downing Center Local Court.
According to 7NewsAustralia, 24-year-old Naveed Akram had a brief exchange in the hearing, which lasted under ten minutes. During this session, an order was extended to keep the identities of some victims confidential.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund inquired, “Did you hear what just occurred?” to which Akram simply replied, “Yep.”
Freund continued, “Your solicitor will call you, OK?”

A courtroom sketch illustrates the accused, Naveed Akram, participating via video call from Goulburn Supermax prison at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on Monday, February 16, 2026.
The suspect in the shooting responded with a straightforward, “Yeah.”
Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and additional firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website.
The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack. (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)
Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.
“There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.
His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday after a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah. ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack targeting a Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December.
His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed in a gun battle with police at the scene.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity,” saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video feed reinforcing that assessment.