These 5 Republican candidates qualified for the third debate

Five candidates will be on the stage Wednesday night at the third GOP presidential debate in Miami, but North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum fell short after having made the first two Republican debates this year.

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley, businessman Vivek Ramaswamy and Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina all qualified for the Wednesday debate, the Republican National Committee said in a statement. Former President Donald Trump, meanwhile, is skipping another debate.

The five qualified candidates all met the RNC’s criteria, including having accrued at least 70,000 unique donors and meeting a minimum polling requirement (at least 4% in two national polls or one national and one early-state poll that meet RNC requirements). The candidates also had to sign pledges, including one to support the Republican Party’s eventual nominee.

Trump, who also skipped the first two debates, easily surpassed the donor and polling requirements, according to NBC News’ analysis. But he has so far refused to sign the party pledges, which he must do to qualify. He has held campaign or media events on his own during the previous two debates and has a campaign rally scheduled for Wednesday, as well.

NBC News is hosting the debate, which will air from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET Wednesday from the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County. The RNC also selected Salem Radio Network and the Republican Jewish Coalition as partners for the debate.

“We are looking forward to our third debate in Miami, a welcome opportunity for our candidates to showcase our winning conservative agenda to the American people,” RNC chair Ronna McDaniel said in a statement. “We are especially honored to be the first political party to partner with a Jewish organization for a debate in our partnership with the Republican Jewish Coalition, and our candidates will reaffirm the Republican Party’s unwavering support of Israel and the Jewish community on the stage Wednesday night.”

Burgum’s hurdle was the national polling threshold, according to an NBC News analysis of public polling, after he said last month that his campaign had met the donor threshold for the third debate. He has previously criticized the RNC’s debate criteria as “clubhouse rules,” and he has indicated he plans to stay in the presidential race through the early-state contests.

“Skipping the next debate isn’t going to stop us. I’ve been told ‘it’s impossible,’ my entire life and always beat the odds,” Burgum wrote in a social media post Monday night, adding, “Now, DC insiders are trying to stop me from fighting for you! It’s not gonna work. Party bosses don’t pick presidents – voters do!”

Burgum is one of two candidates from the second debate who will be absent from the stage this time. Former Vice President Mike Pence dropped out of the race in a speech in Las Vegas last month.

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson is also missing out on his second straight GOP debate. He qualified for the first debate in Milwaukee but then failed to make the second debate in Southern California.

A number of other candidates who have failed to make past debates this year have already dropped out, including Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, conservative radio host Larry Elder and Michigan businessman Perry Johnson.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts - Internewscast Journal

South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called on Tuesday for the country…
Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2 - Internewscast Journal

Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2

Mario Fernandez-Saldana, accused of helping plan the 2022 shooting death of St.…
Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed

Tupac Shakur declined to identify the gunmen who ambushed him, even as…
Prosecutor Corners Lindsay Clancy’s Mother-in-Law on Mortal Sin - Internewscast Journal

Prosecutor Corners Lindsay Clancy’s Mother-in-Law on Mortal Sin

Prosecutors turned briefly to religion Tuesday as they questioned Lindsay Clancy’s Catholic…
Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access - Internewscast Journal

Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access

A man accused in a Virginia killing who left the United States…
Manhattan Beach Hit by Rise in Two Types of Vehicle Theft - Internewscast Journal

Manhattan Beach Hit by Rise in Two Types of Vehicle Theft

Manhattan Beach police are urging Kia and Hyundai owners to be more…
IPOs for Open AI, Anthropic could unlock $430B for charity

OpenAI, Anthropic IPOs Could Unleash $430B for Charity

The anticipated public listings of OpenAI and Anthropic could set off one…
Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery - Internewscast Journal

Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery

A baby at the center of a high-profile surrogacy dispute has undergone…
NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout - Internewscast Journal

NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout

Frustrated New Yorkers told City Council members Tuesday that Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s…
Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail - Internewscast Journal

Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail

Woman found dead outside car in affluent neighborhood Police said a morning…
Two workers killed, several injured after explosions tear through Ohio recycling facility

Ohio Recycling Plant Blasts Kill 2 Workers, Injure Several

Two employees died and several others were hurt after a pair of…
Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial

A notorious former gang member brushed off questions about Tupac Shakur’s killing…