Share this @internewscast.com
EXCLUSIVE TO FOX: A man involved in the shooting of a South Carolina deputy during an early morning traffic stop has been revealed as an undocumented immigrant with a history of deportation and a felony conviction for illegal re-entry, as confirmed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
DHS representatives informed Fox News Digital that deputies from the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) responded to reports of gunfire shortly after 9 p.m. on February 10 on Johns Island.
Although the suspect initially evaded capture, he was later identified as Floriberto Perez-Nieto, a Mexican national with a criminal background.
At around 3 a.m. the following morning, deputies received another call from the same individual, alerting them that Perez-Nieto had returned to the vicinity.

Authorities reported that Floriberto Perez-Nieto was killed after allegedly firing at a South Carolina Deputy. (U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
Upon locating Perez-Nieto’s vehicle, deputies attempted to initiate a traffic stop. However, he attempted to flee and subsequently shot a deputy in the chest, as stated by law enforcement officials.
Other deputies returned fire and Perez-Nieto was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
DHS officials said the deputy who was shot in the chest was wearing body armor.

Charleston County Sheriff Carl Ritchie speaks during a news conference. (Charleston County Sheriff’s Office via X)
“This criminal illegal alien illegally obtained a firearm and nearly killed a law enforcement officer,” DHS assistant secretary Tricia McLaughlin told Fox News Digital. “Thankfully, the officer’s body armor saved his life. There could have been quite a different tragic outcome for this officer and his family.”
The deputy who was shot has not yet been publicly identified by authorities.
Perez-Nieto was previously arrested after he illegally entered the U.S. from Mexico, at an unknown date and location, and without inspection by an immigration official, according to DHS.

It is unclear when Floriberto Perez-Nieto illegally crossed the U.S. border. (Christian Torres/Anadolu via Getty Images)
He was subsequently removed from the U.S. on Feb. 20, 2019.
Officials said he committed a felony by illegally re-entering the country at an unknown date and time.
It is unclear where Perez-Nieto allegedly obtained the firearm.
The CCSO professional standards division will conduct an internal investigation related to the shooting.
Deputies involved have been placed on paid administrative leave, pending further review, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.
The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division was immediately notified, responded to the scene and will lead the investigation.