Trump administration seeks $1 billion settlement from UCLA, a White House official says
Share this @internewscast.com

The Trump administration is pursuing a $1 billion settlement from the University of California, Los Angeles, according to a White House official on Friday, following accusations from the Department of Justice that the school engaged in antisemitism and breached other civil rights.

In a first against a public university, UCLA faces a widespread suspension of funds due to alleged civil rights violations, including antisemitism and affirmative action issues.

President Donald Trump’s administration has previously withheld federal funding under similar accusations against prestigious private universities. Recent weeks have seen the administration reach financial settlements with Brown University for $50 million and Columbia University for $221 million, while still involved in a more extensive negotiation with Harvard University.

While a White House official has confirmed the settlement request, they did not provide specific details about other demands made of UCLA or further clarify the amount. The official, speaking under the condition of anonymity, was not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

UCLA recently announced that $584 million in federal grants had been suspended by the Trump administration. This action followed a Civil Rights Division finding by the Department of Justice that UCLA violated both the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 due to “deliberate indifference” towards creating a hostile educational environment for Jewish and Israeli students.

The university faced significant backlash regarding its management of a protest encampment related to the 2024 Israel-Hamas conflict. One evening, counterprotesters attacked the encampment, deploying traffic cones and pepper spray, leading to violent clashes that lasted for hours and resulted in injuries to over a dozen individuals, before police intervened. The following day saw the arrest of more than 200 people after large numbers defied orders to vacate. Subsequently, Jewish students reported being obstructed by protesters when trying to attend classes.

An attack on California?

The University of California’s president, James B. Milliken, said Friday the university had “just received” a document from the Department of Justice and would review it. He said the size of the proposed settlement would “devastate” the University of California, whose campuses are viewed as some of the top public colleges in the nation.

“Earlier this week, we offered to engage in good faith dialogue with the Department to protect the University and its critical research mission,” said Milliken, who started as president last week. “As a public university, we are stewards of taxpayer resources and a payment of this scale would completely devastate our country’s greatest public university system as well as inflict great harm on our students and all Californians.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday accused Trump of trying to silence academic freedom in his attack on such a prestigious public university system.

“He has threatened us through extortion with a billion-dollar fine unless we do his bidding,” Newsom told reporters. Apparently referencing the settlements with Columbia and Brown, he added: “We will not be like some of those other institutions that have followed a different path.”

The $1 billion demand in the UCLA settlement is linked to Newsom’s status as one of Trump’s most outspoken foes, said Peter McDonough, vice president and general counsel at the American Council on Education, an association of college presidents.

“Anyone who thinks this appalling demand is not blatantly political and ideological has their head in the sand,“ McDonough said. “Of course it’s influenced by the fact that UCLA sits within the California system and the California system sits within the state of California.”

Settlements with Trump, and in court

The Trump administration has used its control of federal funding to push for reforms at elite colleges that the president decries as overrun by liberalism and antisemitism. The administration also has launched investigations into diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, saying they discriminate against white and Asian American students.

Last month, Columbia University agreed to pay $200 million as part of a settlement to resolve investigations into the government’s allegations that the school violated federal antidiscrimination laws. The agreement also restored more than $400 million in research grants.

The Trump administration is using its deal with Columbia as a template for other universities, with financial penalties that are now seen as an expectation. For instance, the administration is pressing for a deal that would require Harvard to pay far more than Columbia’s $200 million. Harvard leaders have been negotiating with the White House even as they battle in court to regain access to billions in federal research funding terminated by the Trump administration.

UCLA has already reached one settlement about the 2024 protests. The university agreed last week to pay $6 million to settle a lawsuit from three Jewish students and a Jewish professor who argued the university violated their civil rights by allowing pro-Palestinian protesters to block their access to classes and other areas on campus in 2024.

UCLA initially had argued that it had no legal responsibility over the issue because protesters, not the university, blocked Jewish students’ access to areas. The university also worked with law enforcement to thwart attempts to set up new protest camps.

But in a preliminary injunction a year earlier, U.S. District Judge Mark Scarsi disagreed and ordered UCLA to create a plan to protect Jewish students on campus. The University of California has since created systemwide campus guidelines on protests, with an Office of Campus and Community Safety at UCLA.

As part of the settlement, UCLA said it will contribute $2.3 million to eight organizations that combat antisemitism and support the university’s Jewish community. UCLA Chancellor Julio Frenk, whose Jewish father and grandparents fled Nazi Germany to Mexico and whose wife is the daughter of a Holocaust survivor, also launched an initiative to combat antisemitism and anti-Israeli bias.

___

AP writer Julie Watson contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Knicks HC Mike Brown says benching Josh Hart was a mistake: ‘I was wrong’

Knicks Head Coach Mike Brown Admits Error in Benching Josh Hart: ‘I Was Wrong’

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown admitted to an error in…
Criminal networks exploit US interstates to make human trafficking victims vanish: ‘Real plague’

Uncovering the Hidden Highway: How Criminal Networks Exploit US Interstates for Human Trafficking

An alarming crisis is spreading across the nation’s roadways, leading to the…
Northwestern University federal funding restored after school reaches deal with Trump administration, officials say

Northwestern University Secures Federal Funding Restoration Following Agreement with Trump Administration

Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, has successfully negotiated a deal with the…
American tourist found stabbed to death in Tobago

American Tourist Tragically Discovered Fatally Stabbed in Tobago

Local authorities have reported the death of an American man found with…
Maduro brandishes sword at rally as he rails against 'imperialist aggression' amid rising tensions with US

Maduro’s Fiery Rally: Sword-Wielding Protest Against U.S. ‘Imperialist Aggression

Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold…
Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

Northwestern University Agrees to $75 Million Settlement in Federal Civil Rights Case Following Antisemitism Investigations

The Trump administration has unveiled a significant federal civil-rights settlement with Northwestern…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
Multiple victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police

Gunfire Erupts at California’s Valley Fair Mall on Black Friday, Police Report Multiple Injuries

A shooting at Westfield Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, California, has…
American cruise ship passenger Ann Evans found after going missing on island tour

Missing American Cruise Passenger Ann Evans Safely Located After Island Tour Disappearance

An American woman who went missing after not returning to a Holland…
A Thanksgiving to remember: IHOP waitress gets $2,000 tip after man raises money on social media

Heartwarming Thanksgiving Surprise: IHOP Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip Thanks to Viral Social Media Campaign

“I was completely stunned,” shared server Ashley Cruz. “This feels like a…
Illinois man charged with arson after allegedly setting home ablaze on Thanksgiving

Illinois Resident Accused of Thanksgiving Day House Fire

In a shocking Thanksgiving incident, an Illinois man found himself behind bars…
Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as crackdown on dissent continues

Russia Bans Human Rights Watch: Escalating Clampdown on Free Speech and Dissent

On Friday, Russian authorities declared Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization.”…