Trump settles $10 billion lawsuit against IRS over tax returns, sets up $1.7 billion fund for claims of

In a significant development, President Trump and the Justice Department have finalized a $1.7 billion agreement to settle a lawsuit concerning the leak of Trump’s tax returns by the Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Department. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche disclosed the details on Monday.

While the settlement does not involve any financial compensation for Mr. Trump, his sons, or the Trump Organization, it does include a formal apology. Instead, an “Anti-Weaponization Fund” worth $1.776 billion will be established under Blanche’s oversight. This fund aims to systematically address claims from others who may have experienced similar issues of weaponization and legal challenges. More details can be found here.

The news followed shortly after court documents revealed the settlement’s completion.

Initially filed in January in a Miami federal court, the lawsuit accused the agencies of unlawfully enabling a contractor to disclose his tax returns, along with those of his sons and company, to the media in 2020. The suit, demanding $10 billion, was part of Trump’s personal legal actions against the government, with Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and the Trump Organization also listed as plaintiffs.

Additionally, President Trump and his legal team have agreed to withdraw their administrative claims against the Justice Department. Previously, Trump had requested the government pay him approximately $230 million to resolve two federal damage claims related to investigations during his first and the current administrations.

Board appointed by attorney general to award funds

The newly established fund, managed by a five-member commission appointed by the attorney general, will be empowered to issue formal apologies and provide monetary compensation to eligible claimants.

The department said the fund will stop processing claims on Dec. 15, 2028, just over a month before whoever wins the next presidential election would be inaugurated. Any money remaining in the fund will revert back to the federal government, the department said. 

“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement. “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.” 

Last week, ABC News was first to report that the suit was expected to be dropped in exchange for the creation of such a fund. 

A spokesperson for the Trump legal team said in a statement that Mr. Trump “is entering into this settlement squarely for the benefit of the American people, and he will continue his fight to hold those who wrong America and Americans accountable.” 

In a court filing in April, both sides in the case asked for an extension on deadlines in the case in order to “engage in discussions designed to resolve this matter and to avoid protracted litigation.”

In a footnote at the bottom of Monday’s filing, Trump’s lawyers argued that the motion to dismiss is “self-executing” and does not require a judge to sign off on the apparent settlement — or the motion to dismiss — effectively bypassing U.S. District Judge Kathleen M. Williams, who was assigned the case in the Southern District of Florida. 

“No judicial analysis is appropriate,” after the dismissal, Mr. Trump’s legal team said. 

Last month, Williams ordered a hearing on whether the Constitution allowed Mr. Trump to sue his own government.

“Although President Trump avers that he is bringing this lawsuit in his personal capacity, he is the sitting president and his named adversaries are entities whose decisions are subject to his direction,” Williams wrote, adding, “it is unclear to this Court whether the Parties are sufficiently adverse to each other so as to satisfy Article III’s case or controversy requirement.”

In a court filing Monday, 93 Democratic members of Congress attempted to intervene in the case, arguing any settlement would “siphon billions of taxpayer dollars into the pockets of the President, his family, and his allies.”

Last year, Mr. Trump and his legal team asked the Justice Department to pay him about $230 million to settle two federal damage claims over investigations targeting him during both his first administration and the Biden administration, according to a source familiar with the claims. It’s unclear if those claims will also resolved by this settlement. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Mets fans startled by hand creeping through hole in Citi Field stands to snag peanuts, hot dog

Mets Fans Shocked as Hand Reaches Through Citi Field Stands for Peanuts and Hot Dog

Talk about a shell game. Mets fans at Citi Field got an…
Deadly Plane-Helicopter Midair Collision Caught on Video - Internewscast Journal

Deadly Plane-Helicopter Midair Collision Caught on Video

Dramatic newly released video captures the instant a small airplane slammed into…
Alaska Charter Plane Carrying 8 Crashes Near Remote Radar Site - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Charter Plane Carrying 8 Crashes Near Remote Radar Site

A charter aircraft with eight people aboard went down Thursday as it…
AI Firms Accused of Hoarding, Destroying Millions of Books - Internewscast Journal

AI Firms Accused of Hoarding, Destroying Millions of Books

A coalition of more than a dozen public interest and consumer watchdog…
UK Asylum Seeker Advice Sparks Backlash Over Controversial Children Poster - Internewscast Journal

UK Asylum Seeker Advice Sparks Backlash Over Controversial Children Poster

Debate over immigration policy in the U.K. has intensified, with critics arguing…
China’s Arctic Push Opens New Door With Russia as US Stakes Rise in Polar Power Race - Internewscast Journal

China’s Arctic Push Opens New Door With Russia as US Stakes Rise in Polar Power Race

China is probing whether the Arctic can emerge as a major new…
Feds Reveal Mugshot in NY Capitol ISIS Plot, More Attack Plans - Internewscast Journal

Feds Reveal Mugshot in NY Capitol ISIS Plot, More Attack Plans

ISIS indoctrinating Americans with ‘ease,’ ex-NYPD detective warns Federal investigators have taken…
Former University of Kentucky Student Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Baby’s Closet Death Case - Internewscast Journal

Former University of Kentucky Student Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Baby’s Closet Death Case

Former Kentucky cheerleader faces charges in baby’s death Former University of Kentucky…
Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the…
American Tourist Dies in 18th-Floor Fall at Breathless Cancun - Internewscast Journal

American Tourist Dies in 18th-Floor Fall at Breathless Cancun

An American tourist died after falling from the 18th floor of a…
New Jersey Mother Accused of Drunk Boating in Memorial Day Crash That Killed Her Son - Internewscast Journal

New Jersey Mother Accused of Drunk Boating in Memorial Day Crash That Killed Her Son

One dead, three missing after boat sinks near Alcatraz A deadly boating…
TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children's Online Privacy Claims - Internewscast Journal

TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children’s Online Privacy Claims

The Justice Department announced Friday that TikTok and its China-based parent company,…