Trump reacts to shooting at Minneapolis Catholic school

Trump Responds to Shooting Incident at Catholic School in Minneapolis

The Minneapolis Police said the shooter began firing from outside the church, shooting through the windows where an all-school mass was happening.

WASHINGTON — Leaders across the U.S. are expressing their condolences following a tragic mass shooting at a Catholic school in Minnesota, which left two children dead and at least 17 injured. The incident has been described as a “terrible situation.”

The Minneapolis Police reported that the assailant started firing from outside, targeting the church while schoolchildren were gathered inside for an all-school mass.

This tragic event occurred on the first day of school, as shown in social media images of students in green uniforms sharing smiles, greeting each other by the bicycle racks, and posing for photos together.

As more details are revealed, a press conference on Wednesday morning confirmed that two young victims, aged 8 and 10, lost their lives in the attack. Additionally, at least 17 people, including 14 children, sustained injuries.

Here are the responses from elected officials and government officials to the shooting: 

President Donald Trump

The Republican president swiftly addressed the situation on Truth Social, affirming that the FBI was actively involved in the response and assuring ongoing oversight of the incident by his administration.

“I have been thoroughly informed about the tragic events in Minneapolis, Minnesota,” Trump stated. “The FBI responded promptly and is already on site. The White House will maintain vigilance over this dreadful situation. Please join me in keeping all those affected in your prayers!”

Flags at Half-Staff Across the Country   

The White House sent out a message Wednesday afternoon confirming that Trump has ordered U.S. flags to be flown at half-staff at the White House and at all federal buildings. 

“As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on August 27, 2025, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, August 31, 2025,” the proclamation reads. “I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.”

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem

Kristi Noem, Trump’s Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, said her agency was monitoring the situation. 

“DHS is monitoring the horrific shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis,” Noem posted on X. “We are in communication with our interagency partners, and will share more information as soon as it becomes available. I am praying for the victims of this heinous attack and their families.” 

FBI Director Kash Patel

The head of the FBI said agents were on scene shortly after the shooting, and would provide updates as more information becomes available. 

“We are aware of reports of a shooting at a Catholic school in Minnesota,” he said. “FBI agents are on scene, and we ask everyone to keep potential victims,  civilians or law enforcement in harm’s way in your prayers. The @FBI will provide updates as more information becomes available.”

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz

Gov. Tim Walz called the gunfire “horrific” on social media Wednesday morning, saying he had been briefed on the situation. 

“I’ve been briefed on a shooting at Annunciation Catholic School and will continue to provide updates as we get more information. The BCA and State Patrol are on scene,” he wrote on X. 

“I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence.”

Sen. Amy Klobachar

The Minnesota senator posted on X that she was “heartbroken” by the attack. 

“I am heartbroken by the horrific violence at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis this morning” she wrote. “My prayers are with the students, teachers, and families, and I am grateful for the first responders who are on the scene.” 

Sen. Tina Smith

Minnesota’s junior senator said her office was monitoring the situation in Minneapolis and thanked law enforcement for their quick response. 

“My staff and I are monitoring the situation at Annunciation Catholic School. I’m grateful for the quick response of law enforcement as we continue to gather information,” she posted. “It’s the first week of school. These kids should not be fearing for their lives.”

Pope Leo XIV

Pope Leo XIV has sent a telegram of condolences over the shooting at a Catholic school in Minneapolis, calling it a “terrible tragedy” and saying he was praying for relatives of the dead and injured “at this extremely difficult time.”

Leo, history’s first American pope, said he was “profoundly saddened” to learn about the shooting at Annunciation Catholic School church. He sent his condolences “to all those affected by this terrible tragedy, especially the families now grieving the loss of a child.”

The Chicago-born Leo said he was praying for those injured and the medical teams and first responders at the scene, and for the broader Catholic community.

The telegram was signed by the Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, and was addressed to Archbishop Bernard Hebda, the archbishop of St. Paul-Minneapolis.

You May Also Like

Poll: Young Americans’ Distrust of Tech Giants May Be Driving Support for Socialism - Internewscast Journal

Poll: Young Americans’ Distrust of Tech Giants May Be Driving Support for Socialism

A large majority of millennial and Gen Z Americans see some of…
Trump Says Ed Martin Leaving DOJ Role to Fight Election Legal Battles Ahead of 2026 Midterms and 2028 Race - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Ed Martin Leaving DOJ Role to Fight Election Legal Battles Ahead of 2026 Midterms and 2028 Race

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Friday afternoon that U.S. Pardon Attorney Ed…
College Soccer Player Allegedly Killed; Boyfriend Blamed Demon - Internewscast Journal

College Soccer Player Allegedly Killed; Boyfriend Blamed Demon

Karoline Heintz, an 18-year-old incoming freshman and soccer player at Pennsylvania Western…
Man Arrested in Deadly Stabbing Under Jacksonville Beach Pier - Internewscast Journal

Man Arrested in Deadly Stabbing Under Jacksonville Beach Pier

Jacksonville Beach police said both the victim and the accused man were…
Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives - Internewscast Journal

Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives

The Department of Homeland Security on Friday pushed back against claims from…
Intoxicated Mother Charged in Jersey Shore Boat Crash That Killed Her Son - Internewscast Journal

Intoxicated Mother Charged in Jersey Shore Boat Crash That Killed Her Son

A New Jersey mother is facing criminal charges after authorities say she…
Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Newborn Son’s Trash Bag Death - Internewscast Journal

Laken Snelling Pleads Guilty in Newborn Son’s Trash Bag Death

Former University of Kentucky cheerleader Laken Snelling pleaded guilty Friday morning to…
Feds Reveal Mugshot in NY Capitol ISIS Plot, More Attack Plans - Internewscast Journal

Feds Reveal Mugshot in NY Capitol ISIS Plot, More Attack Plans

ISIS indoctrinating Americans with ‘ease,’ ex-NYPD detective warns Federal investigators have taken…
Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform - Internewscast Journal

Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform

Xavier Becerra, the Democratic frontrunner in the California governor’s race, has floated…
TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children's Online Privacy Claims - Internewscast Journal

TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children’s Online Privacy Claims

The Justice Department announced Friday that TikTok and its China-based parent company,…
Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal - Internewscast Journal

Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal

Liberia on Thursday took in its first deportation flight from the United…
Speaker Johnson Attacks Suozzi as ‘Marxist’ at Long Island GOP Rally - Internewscast Journal

Speaker Johnson Attacks Suozzi as ‘Marxist’ at Long Island GOP Rally

House Speaker Mike Johnson traveled east Friday to headline a spirited fundraiser…