US rejects bid to lease coal from public lands in Utah as sales in western states fall flat
Share this @internewscast.com


Federal authorities have turned down a proposal from a mining company seeking to extract over 6 million tons of coal from beneath Utah’s national forest, the Interior Department announced on Thursday. This decision represents the third instance this month where coal sales on public lands in the Western U.S. have been halted.

This setback comes amid former President Donald Trump’s efforts to rejuvenate the coal mining sector, which has been experiencing a downturn for nearly 20 years.

The Interior Department declined the only bid for two federal coal reserves located in the Manti-La Sal National Forest, near the Skyline Mine in central Utah. According to agency spokesperson Alyse Sharpe, the bid did not comply with the Mineral Leasing Act’s requirements.

The Mineral Leasing Act mandates that companies must pay the fair market value for coal extracted from public lands. However, Sharpe did not disclose the bid’s monetary value.

The coal reserves were sought by a subsidiary of Wolverine Fuels LLC, a Utah-based mining company that manages the Skyline Mine among other coal operations in the region.

On October 1, officials offered a lease for one tract containing 1.3 million tons of coal during a competitive sale. The second tract, containing 5 million tons, was proposed as a modification to an existing lease. The bid in question covered both of these tracts, according to Sharpe.

Interior Secretary Doug Burgum said two weeks ago that the government will open 13 million acres of federal lands for coal mining. But it’s unclear who would want that fuel as utilities turn to cheaper natural gas and renewables such as wind and solar to generate electricity.

Emissions from burning coal are a leading driver of climate change that’s raising sea levels and making weather more extreme.

On Oct. 6, a coal sale from public lands in Montana that would have been the largest by the government in more than a decade drew a single bid of $186,000, or about one-tenth of a penny per ton of coal, and was later rejected. That lease held 167 million tons of coal in southeastern Montana near the Navajo Transition Energy Co.’s Spring Creek mine.

Two days later the Interior Department postponed an even bigger sale — 440 million tons next to the Navajo Nation-owned company’s Antelope Mine in Wyoming.

Sharpe repeated the Republican Trump administration’s assertion that the policies of former Presidents Joe Biden and Barack Obama were to blame for the failed sales, saying the Democrats tried “to dismantle domestic production and shake investor confidence in the industry.”

Both Democrats attempted to curb sales of coal from public lands, only to have those policies reversed by Trump.

Three other coal lease sales from public lands under Trump were successful. The largest, in Alabama, involved 54 million tons of coal used in steelmaking that sold last month for $46 million, or about 87 cents per ton. Two recent sales in North Dakota of leases containing a combined 30 million tons of coal brought in $186,000 total, or less than a penny per ton.

“As demand for reliable, dispatchable power grows, coal remains a critical component of ensuring affordable and dependable energy for the American people,” Sharpe said in a statement.

But industry analysts and economists say the biggest driver of coal’s retreat has been market forces that make other fuels more economical. Many power plants served by large mines on public lands in the West are nearing retirement.

Environmentalists have fought for years against the expansion of Utah’s Skyline Mine. Emma Yip with the Center for Biological Diversity described the bid rejection as “yet another face-plant for the Trump administration” as it tries to prop up a dying industry.

“Coal is among the dirtiest energy sources on Earth and burning it continues to sicken and kill Americans. There’s no defensible reason to keep it on life support when absolutely nobody wants it,” Yip said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
WATCH: Trump Blasts Reporter over National Guard Shooting Question

WATCH: Trump Criticizes Reporter in Response to National Guard Shooting Inquiry

President Donald Trump did not shy away from expressing his frustration during…
Game Over? Trump Cracks Down on All Immigration From Third-World Countries - ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

Trump Implements Stricter Immigration Measures Targeting Developing Nations – ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

In a passionate late-night address, President Trump responded to the recent terrorist…
Indiana Republican's Problematic Remark About Trump, How He's Voting on State Redistricting

Indiana Republican’s Controversial Comment on Trump and Its Impact on State Redistricting Vote

Indiana’s legislature is currently debating a redistricting proposal that could potentially bolster…
Angel Families thank Trump in new Thanksgiving video for his border security efforts: 'We appreciate you'

Angel Families Praise Trump’s Border Security Achievements in Heartfelt Thanksgiving Tribute

The American Border Story (TABS) has launched a compelling new video, showcasing…
Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as crackdown on dissent continues

Russia Bans Human Rights Watch: Escalating Clampdown on Free Speech and Dissent

On Friday, Russian authorities declared Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization.”…
Knicks HC Mike Brown says benching Josh Hart was a mistake: ‘I was wrong’

Knicks Head Coach Mike Brown Admits Error in Benching Josh Hart: ‘I Was Wrong’

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown admitted to an error in…
Waters: The Media Don't 'Resist' Trump

Maxine Waters Criticizes Media for Lack of Opposition to Trump

During a segment on CNN’s “The Story Is” aired on Wednesday, Rep.…
Wolverine sees brighter future after groundbreaking eye surgery

Wolverine’s Vision Restored: Revolutionary Eye Surgery Offers New Hope

Edward, a young wolverine residing at the San Francisco Zoo, has become…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Father of Deceased National Guard Member Describes Her Passing as a ‘Horrible Tragedy’ in Heartfelt Message

In a deeply emotional Facebook post shared on Thursday, Gary Beckstrom announced…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Unraveling Anna Kepner’s Enigma, Alex Murdaugh’s Legal Drama, and the Stalled Investigation of Martha Moxley

In a tragic turn of events, 18-year-old Anna Kepner was discovered deceased…
Fuzzy Zoeller, two-time major champion haunted by racist joke about Tiger Woods, dies at 74

Golf Legend Fuzzy Zoeller, Known for His Major Wins and Controversial Tiger Woods Remark, Passes Away at 74

Fuzzy Zoeller, celebrated for his vibrant personality and two major golf victories,…
Pro-Palestinian agitators storm popular fashion store in Manhattan on Black Friday, 4 arrested: NYPD

Black Friday Chaos: Pro-Palestinian Protesters Clash at Iconic Manhattan Fashion Store

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) reported the arrest of at…