US boosts emergency evacuations and travel warnings in Middle East

U.S. Increases Emergency Evacuations and Travel Alerts in the Middle East

In internal and public notices, the department over the weekend significantly ramped up its cautionary advice to Americans in the Mideast.

WASHINGTON D.C., DC — The State Department has increased the number of emergency evacuation flights it is offering to American citizens who want to depart from Israel. Additionally, it has ordered the exit of nonessential staff from the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon and is enhancing travel warnings concerning the Middle East due to concerns over potential retaliatory actions by Iran against U.S. interests in the area.

In internal and public notices, the department over the weekend significantly ramped up its cautionary advice to Americans in the Mideast.

On Sunday, following U.S. strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities, the department announced that it had instructed nonessential personnel and the families of staff at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut to leave Lebanon “because of the volatile and unpredictable security situation in the region.”

The announcement did not mention any potential evacuation flights or other assistance for American civilians in Lebanon, but advised those wishing to leave to utilize existing commercial services for their departures.

At the same time, the department issued warnings to U.S. citizens in Saudi Arabia and Turkey to take extra security precautions given the uncertainty.

“Given reports of regional hostilities, the U.S. Mission to Saudi Arabia has advised its personnel to exercise increased caution and limit non-essential travel to any military installations in the region,” the department said in its notice for Saudi Arabia.

In Turkey, the department said U.S. personnel “have been cautioned to maintain a low profile and instructed to avoid personal travel to the U.S. Consulate Adana consular district,” which includes the NATO airbase at Incirlik.

“Negative sentiment toward U.S. foreign policy may prompt actions against U.S. or Western interests in Turkey,” the statement said.

Late Saturday, the department said it was stepping up evacuation flights for American citizens from Israel to Europe and continuing to draw down its staff at diplomatic missions in Iraq.

But even before the U.S. airstrikes on Iran were made public by President Donald Trump on Saturday evening in Washington, the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem had announced the start of evacuation flights for private Americans from Israel.

Sixty-seven American citizens left Israel on two government flights bound for Athens, Greece, on Saturday and four more evacuation flights to Athens had been planned for Sunday, according to an internal State Department document seen by The Associated Press. However, due to the closure of Israeli airspace after the U.S. airstrikes on Iran three of those four flights were canceled, according to an update from the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem.

The embassy is planning to reschedule the canceled flights to Athens on Monday when it expects as many as six evacuation flights to the Greek capital, along with a chartered flight to Rome and another flight to Cyprus, according to the update.

In addition to the flights that have already left, a cruise ship carrying more than 1,000 American citizens, including several hundred Jewish youngsters who had been visiting Israel on an organized tour, arrived in Cyprus, according to the document.

It also said the evacuation of non-essential personnel at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and consulate in Erbil is continuing. Those staffers had been ordered to leave even before Israel began its military operation in Iran more than a week ago. “As part of our ongoing effort to streamline operations, additional personnel departed Iraq on June 21 and 22,” the department said. “These departures represent a continuation of the process started on June 12.”

As of Saturday, more than 7,900 Americans had asked for assistance in leaving Israel and more than 1,000 had sought help in leaving Iran, where the U.S. has no diplomatic presence, the document said.

There are roughly 700,000 Americans, many of them dual U.S.-Israeli citizens, in Israel and many thousands of Americans, most of them dual U.S.-Iranian citizens, in Iran. It was not clear how many Americans had successfully made it out of Iran through overland routes, although the document said more than 200 had entered neighboring Azerbaijan as of Saturday since the conflict began.

After the U.S. strikes in Iran, security officers at all U.S. embassies and consulates have been instructed to conduct reviews of their post’s security posture and report back to the State Department by late Sunday.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Attorney Rips Tone-Deaf Prosecutors in Case

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, contact the…
Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania - Internewscast Journal

Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania

A midair crash Wednesday evening between a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and…
New York grandmother vanishes in Las Vegas as family gets mysterious texts from her phone asking for Bitcoin

NY Grandmother Vanishes in Las Vegas as Bitcoin Texts Spark Fear

A New York grandmother disappeared during a trip to Las Vegas, and…
Idaho Probation Officers Compile Foreign-Born List for ICE, Sparking Criticism - Internewscast Journal

Idaho Probation Officers Compile Foreign-Born List for ICE, Sparking Criticism

Texas and Minnesota clash over extradition of ICE agent Christian Castro Texas…
Virginia county expecting its data centers to bring in $1.3B haul in tax revenue

Virginia County Expects Data Centers to Generate $1.3B Tax Revenue Windfall

In one of Virginia’s most affluent counties, the rapid rise of data…
Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful - Internewscast Journal

Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful

Judge approves new lawyer for Bryan Kohberger in Idaho murder trial A…
Black Bear Dies After Days Trying to Escape a Locked Car - Internewscast Journal

Black Bear Dies After Days Trying to Escape a Locked Car

A black bear in Colorado was found dead after becoming trapped for…
Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment

A Texas judge is set to hear arguments Wednesday on whether the…
1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open - Internewscast Journal

1,500 Mink Escape Oregon Farm After Fence Is Cut Open

About 1,500 mink broke loose from an Oregon farm after someone cut…
CBP officers seize nearly 850 pounds of khat packed into 12 suitcases after flight from London

CBP Seizes Nearly 850 Pounds of Khat in 12 Suitcases After London Flight

Customs officers at a Maryland airport say they intercepted nearly 850 pounds…
Illegal immigrant accused of operating overcrowded boat that capsized near Liberty Island arrested by ICE

ICE Arrests Illegal Immigrant Accused in Liberty Island Capsize

Woman, baby dead after boat overturns in NY harbor A 27-year-old woman…
Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos

Testimony continued Tuesday for a second day in the trial of Duane…