Nigerian villagers in Jabo are rattled by US airstrikes that made their homes shake and the sky glow red

JABO, Nigeria — On a seemingly ordinary Thursday night in the Nigerian village of Jabo, 40-year-old farmer Sanusi Madabo was winding down for the day when a startling noise shattered the calm. It sounded like an airplane crash, prompting Madabo and his wife to hurry outside their mud-brick home, only to be greeted by a sky alight with an intense red glow.

“It was almost like daytime,” Madabo recounted, describing how the fiery illumination held the night at bay for hours.

Little did he know, Madabo was witnessing a significant military operation: a U.S. strike targeting an alleged Islamic State militants’ camp.

Late Thursday, U.S. President Donald Trump made a public announcement regarding the operation, describing it as a “powerful and deadly strike” against IS militants in Nigeria. The Nigerian government later confirmed their involvement in coordinating with the U.S. for this military action.

A panicked village

On Friday, Nigerian government spokesperson Mohammed Idris elaborated on the details, stating that the attack was launched from the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean shortly after midnight. The operation utilized “16 GPS-guided precision” missiles, along with the deployment of MQ-9 Reaper drones.

Idris explained that the strikes were directed at locations believed to be utilized as “staging grounds by foreign” IS fighters who had infiltrated Nigeria from the Sahel region, which lies on the southern edge of Africa’s expansive Sahara Desert. However, the government did not provide any figures on the casualties sustained by the militants.

Residents of Jabo, a village in the northwestern Nigerian state of Sokoto, spoke to The Associated Press on Friday about panic and confusion among the villagers following the strikes, which they said hit not far from Jabo’s outskirts. There were no casualties among the villagers.

They said that Jabo has never been attacked as part of the violence the U.S. says is widespread – though such attacks regularly occur in neighboring villages.

Abubakar Sani, who lives on the edge of the village, recalled the “intense heat” as the strikes hit.

“Our rooms began to shake, and then fire broke out,” he told the AP.

“The Nigerian government should take appropriate measures to protect us as citizens,” he added. “We have never experienced anything like this before.”

It’s a ‘new phase of an old conflict’

The strikes are the outcome of a monthslong tense diplomatic clash between the West African nation and the U.S.

The Trump administration has said Nigeria is experiencing a genocide of Christians, a claim the Nigerian government has rejected.

However, Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs now said the strikes resulted from intelligence sharing and strategic coordination between the two governments.

Yusuf Tuggar, Nigeria’s foreign minister, called the airstrikes a “new phase of an old conflict” and said he expected more strikes to follow.

“For us, it is something that has been ongoing,” Tuggar added, referring to attacks that have targeted Christians and Muslims in Nigeria for years.

Bulama Bukarti, a security analyst on sub-Saharan Africa, said the residents’ fear is compounded by a lack of information.

Nigerian security forces have since cordoned off the area of the strikes and access was not allowed.

Bukarti said transparency would go a long way to calm the local residents. “The more opaque the governments are, the more panic there will be on the ground, and that is what will escalate tensions.”

Foreign fighters operate in Nigeria

Analysts say the strikes might have been intended for the Lakurawa group, a relatively new entrant to Nigeria’s complex security crisis.

The group’s first attack was recorded around 2018 in the northwestern region before the Nigerian government officially announced its presence last year. The composition of the group has been documented by security researchers as primarily consisting of foreigners from the Sahel.

However, experts say ties between the Lakurawa group and the IS are unproven. The Islamic State West African Province – an IS affiliate in Nigeria – has its strongholds in the northeastern part of the country, where it is currently involved in a power struggle with its parent organization, Boko Haram.

“What might have happened is that, working with the American government, Nigeria identified Lakurawa as a threat and identified camps that belong to the group,” Bukarti said.

Still, some local people feel vulnerable.

Aliyu Garba, a Jabo village leader, told the AP that debris left after the strikes was scattered, and that residents had rushed to the scene. Some picked up pieces of the debris, hoping for valuable metal to trade, and Garba said he fears they could get hurt.

The strikes rattled 17-year-old Balira Sa’idu, who has been preparing for her upcoming marriage.

“I am supposed to be thinking about my wedding, but right now I am panicking,” she said. “The strike has changed everything. My family is afraid, and I don’t even know if it is safe to continue with the wedding plan in Jabo.”

___

Adetayo reported from Lagos, Nigeria.

.

You May Also Like

Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania - Internewscast Journal

Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania

A midair crash Wednesday evening between a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago - Internewscast Journal

King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago

King Charles was reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…
Bloodied, ejected Marine Corps pilot seen calm and collected after Washington crash destroys aircraft

Bloodied Marine Pilot Calm After Ejecting in Washington Crash

Newly released bodycam video shows Marine Corps F-18 pilot Maj. Jackson Simon…
Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial

Marc Jacobs is facing backlash after saying he would be willing to…
Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
5 Americans among 7 dead after helicopter crashes in Kenya

Kenya Helicopter Crash Leaves 7 Dead, Including 5 Americans

Seven people, among them five Americans, were killed Wednesday when a helicopter…
Philadelphia woman says she used stage combat training to fight off masked man chasing residents

Philadelphia Woman Uses Stage Combat to Fend Off Masked Man

A Philadelphia woman says her art school training helped her react in…
Salvadoran Immigrant Alexis Cedillos-Campos Arrested in Killing of Virginia Co-Worker Carmen Puch, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Salvadoran Immigrant Alexis Cedillos-Campos Arrested in Killing of Virginia Co-Worker Carmen Puch, Police Say

A 19-year-old undocumented immigrant from El Salvador has been accused of killing…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…